• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Making the 12xp into a 13 XM

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
I have a 12 with the new XM chassis on the way. What are the other differences that can be added to the 12? Is the bulkhead changed at all or just the add ons to the frame?

Panels?
Mountain Bar?
Seat?
A-arms and spindle location?

I am wondering what it would take to get the majority of the good handling items from it.

What all is transferable.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
I think you would get the most amount from your $$$ if all you did was the "T- motion rear kit from skidoo, and the ski spindle update.

I think the side panels would fit with a little tweaking?? The head light and upper plastics would need all nose cones and front plastic to make fit properly, at least that is what it looked like on mine.

The mountain bar should be able to be installed fairly easily.
The seat attaches the same as all past XP's.

C
Oct 3, 2008
Bend Oregon
Did the ski spindle update actually make it narrower or are the A-arms changed as well? Any idea on spindle price?

I am stoked that they have a very similar frame and were able to make some major improvements while keeping some of the things that worked. I did get the t-motion for my 12 and my wifes 10. I was honestly thinking of trading hers for Pro so I could have both in the garage but that makes belts and such a bit more costly. I want to make sure her 10 can get her to the best of her abilities as well so I got her the T-motion too.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
For what it cost to do all the updates, t motion, flex edge track, ski spindle & skis, post forward, bars, running boards and seat. Why not just get an XM? Plus XM resale value will be better than XP no matter how much you spend pn mods.

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
I think it has a slightly different pyramid frame?

Incorrect, the XM is a glorified XP to be honest :face-icon-small-con the chassis is the same, it has new body panel work that allows the more forward foot placement, new T-Motion, Flexedge track and some other goodies but a large majority besides the panels can be transferred over to the xp

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Many think a new chassis is coming, I feel sleds are going to be more like dirt bikes in the future. The days of major changes to sled chassis are over IMO.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I had a couple 12 XPs. Did the math and trading to an XM was the best option for me. But I wanted the full handling package and footwells. T-motion, track, spindles, skis and post forward added up quick(I had the C3 post forward on my 12 though). I also like the seat, bars, switches and body work. I90 gave me a great trade in and with the tax credit it was painless.

S

SilverGriz

Oct 22, 2004
Hayden, ID
Incorrect, the XM is a glorified XP to be honest :face-icon-small-con the chassis is the same, it has new body panel work that allows the more forward foot placement, new T-Motion, Flexedge track and some other goodies but a large majority besides the panels can be transferred over to the xp

I disagree. I have an 08 and a 13 side by side in the garage. Almost every part on the XM is different compared to my XP.

146ev

Lifetime Membership
Oct 12, 2008
I disagree. I have an 08 and a 13 side by side in the garage. Almost every part on the XM is different compared to my XP.

The chassis is the same strip all the plastics off and look at the frame itself, they are the same. Side panels are different which equals more room for the riders feet up front, also the s-36 isn't new, the only new pieces are the side plastics, flex edge track, and t-motion. In the geometry on the 12's is the same as the 13's as well.

What do you think makes it so different? The XM carves and side hills easier for no single reason its because of the new features combined don't get me wrong I'm not saying they aren't a great sled or talking down on them, simply saying that the frame itself is still an XP.

Last edited:
D
Mar 3, 2008
The chassis is the same strip all the plastics off and look at the frame itself, they are the same. Side panels are different which equals more room for the riders feet up front, also the s-36 isn't new, the only new pieces are the side plastics, flex edge track, and t-motion. In the geometry on the 12's is the same as the 13's as well.

What do you think makes it so different? The XM carves and side hills easier for no single reason its because of the new features combined don't get me wrong I'm not saying they aren't a great sled or talking down on them, simply saying that the frame itself is still an XP.
well you are somewhat correct,all of the plastic is different ,the running boards,(wich are part of the chassis) are different,the frame pyramid is changed,the foot pockets(also part of the chassis)are changed,the track,the steering and front spindles,the rear suspension,the seat ,skis ,handle bars gauges ,switches ,headlights ,air intake, and there's a few other things

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
For what it cost to do all the updates, t motion, flex edge track, ski spindle & skis, post forward, bars, running boards and seat. Why not just get an XM? Plus XM resale value will be better than XP no matter how much you spend pn mods.

Actually the difference in price is quite substantial, $13,000 for a new XM, lets say you owe on a 2012 or 2011, can get maybe $7500 - $8500 for it. So to upgrade to an XM thats an extra $4500 to $5500. A "T" motion suspension is $300, The front end is already narrowed, add a BOSS seat to your preference if you must have one ($400 ish), running boards & post forward really are not that big a deal imho if you know how to set up an XP sled and ride well. That plus you have the benefit of a sled that might or might not have adjustments and minor mods already to your style. The Flex track is not that big of a change from the past 2 years of the stock camoplast doo tracks to matter, it's the "T" that is the big difference.

Anyways, that's what we did to SnoJo's 2011 etec and it is ready to rock!

Nothing wrong with buying a new sled, but I believe BRP messed up marketing the T-motion suspension and making it available before the 13's hit the snow. I'm glad they did tho :face-icon-small-ton:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
i think the narrowed up side panels are nice. it really feels like your sitting on a pro. i traded a 09 in so i was due for a new sled.

D
Feb 20, 2009
Best Bang for Buck

As I said in another post, guys who have 2012 Spring tested the XM and who run the Doo shop locally say the legs/spindles and skis along w/T-motion is the major difference in handling. Flexy edge to track is irrelevant in pow (not enough resistance) dash changes are cosmetic, foot position is a help (take a Tiger saw to your '12 and weld in a new brace! Hard to roll-over a 2012 with 2 yrs. left on warranty when you can up date for most of the performance features with less than $800.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Seems reasonable!!!!

As I said in another post, guys who have 2012 Spring tested the XM and who run the Doo shop locally say the legs/spindles and skis along w/T-motion is the major difference in handling. Flexy edge to track is irrelevant in pow (not enough resistance) dash changes are cosmetic, foot position is a help (take a Tiger saw to your '12 and weld in a new brace! Hard to roll-over a 2012 with 2 yrs. left on warranty when you can up date for most of the performance features with less than $800.

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I was planning on ordering the T-Motion kit and flex track for my 2012 after riding the Demo model last season. I was also considering ordering the bar controls as they suck on the 12. I made a last minute decision to upgrade my 12 to the 13 considering the marginal price difference after the upgrades and after the first ride on the 13 last weekend in 4-5 feet of blow over the head pow, I do not regret my decision one bit.

I have to say that the 2013 XM is the best "out of the box" sled I have ever ridden. All I did was put on a can, skid plate and scratchers and it is a dream machine for handling. My 12 was a 163X and my 13 is a 163X and the difference is incredible.

I got on 2009 XP last weekend while I let my buddy ride my 13 and couldn't even ride it. :face-icon-small-win

Premium Features