• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 Exhaust Temp Sensors

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
So I bought my 09 M1000 with 800 miles on it, SLP pipe kit, over-sized air horn, PCV, cutler's clutching. The first ride it started doing something funny with the throttle like it wouldn't read the throttle, etc.

Long story short, the next ride the exhaust temp sensor went out, I bought the GM version and hard wired it. Then I rode it at about 5500-6500 feet. I was burning it down the road back to the truck, and the ECU 17 flashed again. I stopped, let it cool, and rode back with no code. Then I was in my field at about 5500 ft, and before I even ran it the ECU 17 popped up and stayed. A dealer tech thought that it might be running rich and fouling the temp sensors. I'm pretty pissed to be honest. I have the resistor built up and he said with fuel management I shouldn't notice any tuning differences because it doesn't rely on that sensor. Any help??

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
did u do the hard wire before or after the factory plug?
the oem plug is junk and the wires can pull out just a tad and u cant tell with out looking close or tugging wire.
I had same thing happen on my 11 under warranty dropped at a dealer out side of alpine went for lunch came back they put new one in left old one sitting in my goggle bag long story short just got to y in trail and started flashing again.
went back to town started digging wire was more or less bouncing in ecu plug .
so I hard wired .not a prob again

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
So I hard wired the GM sensor that just went out and completely eliminated the plug connector. I checked the connectors on the old one and they were fine and then even hard wired the old one just to make sure and it still flashed ECU17. So I know it wasn't a disconnection somewhere, unless it was elsewhere. But I put the resistor in place of the sensor and no more ECU 17 code, and it runs great. I have heard that with a box overriding the EFI, that the sensor doesn't play a role in fuel management except for starts (risk of cold seizing). So I'm at a loss. I'd like the peace of mind that the exhaust temp works but I guess if it doesn't hurt performance, it doesn't matter?

Premium Features