• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

M1000 drilling 45degree hole for oil delete into water pump housing ?

B
Mar 17, 2016
Sorry but i doubt I will get an answer in the oil delete thread since I cant even read page 4 because I am standard member and maybe someone else will get helped from this. My engines crank went bad, bad cage bearing on the flywheel side. Anyways I am rebuilding my engine and when I bought the sled it came with the oil delete and since the guy I bought it from seemed to be a hack I doubt he did the oil delete correct. Basically after everything I have read the best thing to do is drill a 45degree hole from below the center crank bearing sort of by a locating pin into the water pump shaft housing sort of up towards one of the existing oiling holes. Could someone confirm this or maybe explain in better detail or is there even a writeup? I can make a better tutorial if there is not one but I really wanna get it right. Am I over thinking it and is just having a hole going anywhere from the mail crank case to the water pump shaft housing enough? I attached a pic I found in the other thread in here as well, someone please clarify all of this for me,thanks. The picture below is confusing, anyone have a better pic? How do I dril the hole and exactly where do I drill it.

attachment.jpg

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
we use to do this on the 900 twins and i have done it each way on the 1000. if you drill it you need to make sure you know what your doing on the 1000 the water jacket is very close by.
the way i did them on my 1000s was to use the bdx oil delete and fill it full of grease then the center bolt hole for the water pump run 10-15 pumps of grease into it and use the bolt bdx sends to blank it off. I would take the rubber plug out of the center of the hood intake plenum cut a hole in the stock skid plate just under the center hole for the water pump oil bolt and insert the plug. now every 500 miles pull plug and bolt add grease and re install. cover the hole in the intake plenum with foil heat tape.

B
Mar 17, 2016
I went to a local cat dealer and talked to them and the guy said they always drilled the mag side piston into the pump shaft. Since I had the top end case there with me I just had him do it since he has done it a bunch and I never have, they were honing my jugs anyways. From what I have read you can do it by just pulling a jug but you run the risk of leaving metal shavings in there. I replaced the oil seal and mechanical seal and wet sanded the shaft anyways. I attached a few picks for anyone else looking to do this job.

2016-11-24 10.12.26.jpg 2016-11-24 10.11.47.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features