• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lurkers.....Speak up

O

ohlordy

Apr 3, 2010
Newbe

Ive got a snow hawk 800 that I just bought. Tony has been helping me to dial it in and has loaned me some parts along with alot of insite into how these things work. With his help we have changed the clutching, the cog belt to a smaller one and removed the extra pulley, I bought a gates belt and the machine already had the arctic cat secondary clutch so we changed out the belt that was way to short and went with a A/C belt 0627-020. He has also loaned me his front ski that has the tracking kit which im going to order one for myself here in the near future. I just got it back together today and im ready to ride like real soon, see you on the mountain!

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Thank you

He lives in Arlington Wa. so he's in the middle of it all.

Funny thing, reallized he has only a few hunnert invested in the whole thing over those waiting for their Mountain Horse kit to be built. Just pointing out the second/third/forth hand value of these things. Although he can whip out the wallet and up the ante, that will be want's not needs!:face-icon-small-hap

www.backcountryrebels.com Where most of our die hard Hawkers hang out these days. The bike kits are getting the most traffic here on their forum though and it's fun to watch the sport evolve before us so I monitor all.

Last edited:
O

ohlordy

Apr 3, 2010
1st ride

Went out today for my 1st ride on my new 800, loading it on the trailer was not the easiest but got it on and my buddy and I went to Baker, unloaded and rode up to the NWGC warming hut and back [On the Blue Lake trail] I realized real quick to relaxe and ride like I was flat tracking,wait the inside peg, throw the machine into the corner, lean out and wick the throttle, what a kick in the ars and cant wait to go again, im gonna have to call some of the #s that Tony gave me of local guys to ride with! I cant imagine how much fun this thing is going to be in wide open pow, im hooked:fish2:, Thanks Tony

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
A whipped up responce!

icon1.gif
Looking for a hawk!
Hey I was told to talk to you from a good friend about looking for a snow hawk my friend told me you would be the one who would know where to find one if you got any information that would be greatly appreciated thank you :face-icon-small-hap

What have you found so far, and what type of rider are you- be honest with yourself because it can make the difference whether you stick with it or give up feeling over your head. Basically if you were a motorcyclist/mxr/trail/road rider all sizes mingle and sometimes the rider on the smallest displacement machine is the leader the rest will never catch him no matter how much bigger bike they buy, with bikes I believe it's all in the rider. The statement also holds true with quads and sleds about the rider but it's still possible to put an inexperienced rider on either machine, as long as it stays on all four's their good to go right??:crutch:

I only compare the Hawk to a MC for their classes, both types of machines perform similar in their environment though are drastically different in displacement. The 503 some consider the 125 2stroke or 250 4stroke, 600 the 250 2s or 450 4s, 800 the open class monster.

In all the folks I have dealt with over the Hawk it irritates me to see or listen to the guys, some who also speak for their gals that did'nt ride their 503/600 enough to get past the curve only to replace it with the bigger is better 8hunnert.
Rather than admit their bad choice and take the step back, ego prevails and there is some lame excuse why they are out for good. Want's and needs.

My advice, start with the 503's, If you look hard enough people have gotten them for $2,500, half what most want for a 6, and plentiful against the "100" 8's they built in the world $$$. Most any Snow Hawk advertised, the seller has no idea what he has. They always tell you. "Oh I love it" sometimes without a scratch on it!:face-icon-small-con Being all Ski-Doo 503 fan, 600, and 800HO liquid cooled Rotax engines, it's really as simple as it is when folks upgrade their snowmobiles, the chassis is the same only track length and cc are diff. If you read our forum archives you will also see all the fabricators/mad scientists using Artic Cat, Polaris, etc.

Get it and learn, teach your friends so they get infected and join you, riding the lone one ski sucks. Especially for the Twoskis waiting on you as you hold up the sheep heard, tearing up every bit of ground and forest between their bus stops/train depot's:face-icon-small-hap, uh I mean hill climbs. They sure as hell ain't following you, besides their aching for that beer raise to the one of them that actually get's up that slope. :hail: Suggest they get a Timbersled Mountain Horse snow bike kit if they find your choice too challenging, their easy and bad *** just different!

Search my post's and you'll see I believe in the kits very much, building my own. You know what your capable of, take the leap and challenge yourself, if you commit 100%, everyone you ride with will wonder who the new U is! Who's your friend that recommended me, Good Luck

.......Need a bigger bowl.:face-icon-small-win oh yeah @BCR.

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Awesome thanks a lot for the great info I appreciate it. To answer some of your questions I believe in myself to be a good confident rider always challenging myself. I rode a king cat 900 for the past 5 years and recently bought an m-1000. I also ride a 350 warrior in the summer and am always challenging myself on it. I do realize it will probably be a real learning curve with the snow hawk but I think it would be a total blast! But before I get to buy a hawk I have to sell my m-1000.

I managed to get a response out of off road rider that is selling the modded hawk on here that started off as a 503 but now houses a 700 twin any ideas or thoughts on this sled? It would be appreciated.

As for my friend that referred me to you, Xxx Xxxxxxxxxx, he used to own Montgomery and sons Polaris dealer in gull lake Saskatchewan and is a great friend of mine not to sure his screen name on sno west is.

Anyways once again I appreciate your time and help thanks. :face-icon-small-hap

:evil:
Prime time to offload the twoski, just price it to sell, any lo$$ incurred will be worth the new acquisition. I haven't ridden ORR's machine in a few years and assume it has been refined. As with all mods they have their personalities, all original would be my first choice. It's great to find after close to a decade of harping about these machines, even attaining the top hated SnoWest member status bashing the COUCHies, I made a mark! In attempt to save the best thing to happen to motorized snow sports the forums have given us our own space, thanks to a few of us squeaky wheels, the bike kits also with their section evolving in front of the snowmobile manufacturers face. They might never understand better ain't bigger, edit, but they sure do sinking sales figures! :jaw:

Premium Features