• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Losing Faith in current CFI engine

B
Oct 26, 2003
I guy who calls himself Bigman probably got short somewhere.

That almost sounds like a question which makes me a little uncomfortable as to the direction you're trying to take this conversation. Just to make sure we're clear in case I somehow gave you the wrong impression, I'm no switch hitter. But I still respect you as a person regardless of your orientation.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I thought I would add a little fuel to the fire. Here is the TPS history of a 2012 that own's the max WOT percentage that has ever came through my door.

Interesting chart TRS. 33% idle time?? That's worse than my Duramax reads lol.

I saw mine in the spring last year. Mine looked much different lol. More like a Bell curve with 10% at 80 to 100 and 14% 0 to 10 and the largest use from 20 to 80.
If you think about it you can read the terrain and use. A hill shooter should be an inverse Bell curve 'cause what goes up must come down lol. I would think a rental sled would look like the one you posted ('bin wrong before lol). CO 2.0's would have almost all the use in the top 2 bars by the sounds of it.
My curve would be someone who goes around the mountain in every fresh line left, more so than up and down, and pins it at every meadow that needs crossing hoping to find a creek in there too lol.

For me these threads are so scarey now. I have a hard time trying to forget that I'm about to blow up but I thank my mom for giving me the strength I have and breathe a sigh of relief at the end of every ride.

I made it past the 800 to 1200 mark, actually I got to 1700 on the stock pistons. whew. They were still pretty good too. Must of 'bin my relaxed riding style or being an alter boy thing.
Now with the replacements I'll worry til 3500 miles. Fingers crossed lol.
After that I know I got a good one so I'll just ride til 7000 miles.

I think that just about sums up the CFI 800's eh or will someone tell me I godda worry after 3500 mile too.

Last edited:
P
Oct 25, 2011
I disagree with Polaris having a week motor and this coming from a 800 e-tec on a 2014 163 xm rider. the 600 pros i ride with had way more power than mine and used half the oil. the 14 does not compare to the 13 i had wish i had it back. i guess give a 4 year warranty and pour the oil to them they might last but no power.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
The current e-tech has a lot going on in the 'putor to keep it alive in the hands of the masses. I'm pretty sure the rest will follow that lead eventually.

With modern diesel pick-ups it doesn't matter if you get 1000hp stock. You'll only get to use it in one gear,,, maybe lol.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
Pretty tough (and definitely NOT apples to apples) when comparing two stroke engines to four strokes.

But good to at least use the right numbers.

You might try the real hp numbers. which are according to American Snowmobiler's dyno and elsewhere on the net : www.amsnow.com

Polaris 800 Pro-RMK 155
Engine: 795cc Liberty 2-stroke HP: 143.2

Arctic Cat M 800 SP 153
Engine: 794cc 2-stroke HP: 163.4

Ski-Doo Summit SP 800 154
Engine: 800R E-TEC 2-stroke HP: 163.9

Seems that the super high performance Liberty is giving up 20+ HP to the competition with arguably less reliability.

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
One thing to take into consideration is that there were a he11 of a lot more PROs sold than the other brands.

IMO I would rather be out there riding a great chassis, and maybe need more scheduled maintenance, than riding something I don't care for but may last longer.

For my time in the mountains fun factor matters.

M

miko700

Dec 16, 2009
Washington cascade concrete
engine experts....

Wel,l I also have a had a few polaris engines over the years .......no comments here........ just a question? Since many have posted strong opinions I have a question for them? I have 2011 that I have enjoyed very much! I popped the the original engine also(mag side skirt) deep up in the hills of pemberton........so we put in a nicely rebuilt 2012 engine(warranty) at the end of last year thanks to "Pierres"! This year I have barely broke the engine in and soon the season ends it appears. This is my question to all the people that seem to be a wealth of opinions. "Many" people seem to feel that the pistons are out of balance, bad tolerances/uneven weights. Which leads to overheating/breaking skirts and that this is the "main" issue. Do some of you more qualified engine techs that think with yer minds not your hearts regarding these engines feel that it may be a good investment of 800.00 bucks to do the rkt drop for example? I would be able to do this myself and consider this financial move only in regards to longevity of the engine........I'm not going to chop/turbo/pipe/nos/drill/fill/grind/or curse the sled in any other way...I love this chassis! Ultimately It seems the RKT buys dudes a 'nother season or two of kickin arse! Agree or disagree Thanks in advance.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
@icecap

Not sure about your area but the last 2 years Doo has far outsold Poo in western Canada. Pretty impressive when the Doo costs $2000 more (in Canada at least)

Don't get me wrong, I liked the Polaris enough to buy one, but the engine makes me nervous. The Doos are heavier but I love the etecs. Super smooth, amazing fuel and oil consumption and so silky smooth.

One of the local builders (Specialty Sleds) has been installing the Etec engines in Pro RMK chassis. Maybe the perfect marriage.

In the meantime, I hope that there are some designers and engineers at Polaris that are hard at work on this. The end result of any improvements is good for the entire industry an all of us that love to snowmobile will benefit.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Trash Cat. Do you have actual #'s or just observation while in the hills. I see the same thing here. Every year there is a boat load of colorful new Doo's and Cat's. Most of the "new" Poo's I see are really old high mile used ones that I don`t even now where they came from lol.

I know the reason in my area is dealers. Doo and Cat dealers here are great. They deal and stock parts. Poo dealer not so good.
When I went to buy a Pro it was fall. I wanted to buy at home. Went up the hill and stopped in. Do you takes trades? Nope. You don't know what I have? Nope. How much? List +++. I got cash. Good for you. OK how about a Demo from last year? Sure $**** +++. But it a demo and you want more than a new left over on the floor? It's got ES. I don't want ES. Oh well. LOL.
Mean time my last dealer is phoning and offering more and more but I was getting a Pro. So I phoned around and think I found the best dealer in the interior and drove an hour and a bit and picked up a shiny new Pro.
I am my own warranty station but I still need parts. First was "the clamp". "Can you send me the clamp?" Nope need your sled here. OK I'll buy it. Nope, only enough for customer sleds. But I am a customer. Sorry no can do. So I ordered 2 from Alberta, aftermarket.
Next time I needed parts was a mistake on my part. Snapped off the top of my Ex valve. First one came with heat second one didn't lol. "You got ex valve in stock"? Nope. "Ex Gaskets"? Yep. "'13 is different". You sure? "Yes I am" Nope.
Ok ex valve is weird so I made a piece and reused my old gaskets. Still have the ordered one in my box and spare gaskets. I phoned every dealer in BC.
This fall I needed top end stuff. Got gasket and orings? Nope. Really? Nope. LOL.

If this sled had not been so trouble free for me I would be on the Doo and I'm a fan.

PS. Just looked. Trash Cat do you really have 57,000 posts??!!

Last edited:

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
The dealer where I bought my XM (6 of us bought as a group last fall) sold well over 300 snowchecks last year. That one dealer in Edmonton.

From talking to the Polaris dealers, I would be surprised if all the dealers in Alberta sold that many RMK's

One other tidbit: most of the Doo dealers were sold out of mountain sleds by mid December, but in mid March you can find yourself a heck of a deal on a Polaris as the dealers are swamped with inventory

BUT- turn the clock back a bit, in 2011 and 2012 we all know that the Poos far outsold the Doos, so take it with a grain of salt.

Oh, and I would have more posts than that if not for the forum changing over in '07. Not that it means anything tho.

Last edited:
I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
Trashcat, The 2011 and 2012 is what I was referring to... when I mentioned sales numbers.
It is also the MYs that could be (or would be) showing the most engine troubles.

elkhunt

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2009
Prosser, Wa
assault11

Really assault11 you give me a thumbs down because I posted the HP numbers with a link to a reputable source!

Talk about thin skin

You might try the real hp numbers. which are according to American Snowmobiler's dyno and elsewhere on the net : www.amsnow.com

Polaris 800 Pro-RMK 155
Engine: 795cc Liberty 2-stroke HP: 143.2

Arctic Cat M 800 SP 153
Engine: 794cc 2-stroke HP: 163.4

Ski-Doo Summit SP 800 154
Engine: 800R E-TEC 2-stroke HP: 163.9

Seems that the super high performance Liberty is giving up 20+ HP to the competition with arguably less reliability.

Premium Features