• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking to buy a M-series sled, what to lookout for?

M
Aug 30, 2014
NW MT
Im in the market for and M series sled. I hoping to find an M7 or M8. what should I be cautious of when looking for one of these? looking to spend about 5000 max. What are the Pros and Cons of these sleds?

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
M7 does have reverse, HUGE con, no reverse sucks. Also check both sleds at the bulkhead right at the bottom of the steering post for cracks.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
M7 has no reverse but has far less gearcase problems than the newer ones, reverse is only good for parking lots anyway. Like mentioned, cracks in tunnel at bottom of steering post, cracks in bulkhead behind can, cracks in sliderails, clutch wear, a-arm bushings. That's about all I've seen in person, other than that they're great sleds.

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I may be biased but, I would get an 09 M8. They are priced right where you want. The 09's had the about a 22 lb. weight savings over the 08s and had electronic reverse (which is awesome) and the telescoping steering post.

With a single pipe, they make very close to the same power as a stock HO (2010 and 2011) version but, with the heavier crankshaft, they don't seem to be as susceptible to primary clutch related issues suffered by the HO models.

The first link is my buddies sled. I know he is VERY motivated to sell this sled. I be he would meet you in Superior.

Here are few close by:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/snw/4842699802.html

http://spokane.craigslist.org/snw/4852878364.html

Last edited:

Arcticatdan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Newport, WA
Thanks for the recommendation mine is the second sled. The price has been reduced to
$4700. Is also in the swap meet here.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
just throwin it out there since I had one and it was a great sled, there's a 08 M1000 162 Sno Pro with only 1200 mi on Seattle CL right now for $4100.
The resale is low on these and could probably be had for less considering they're not as popular and there's NO SNOW over here.
IMO if I had around $4k to drop on a used M sled, I'd get this one (provided it's in as good of shape as claimed) over a high mile M8.

On second thought, that M8 listed above from arcticcatdan looks like a good deal too! 1300 mi wife ridden sled is barely broke in.

Last edited:
K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
I know dan as well and he takes care of his stuff extremely well!! Can't miss buy on that one.

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
they are one of the most bulletproof sleds IMO. not the easiest to ride, but reliable as all hell.

-get an 09 or newer
-once you get it, dissasemble the diamond drive and inspect. lots of info on there about those. ***replace problematic bearing with double row bearing***
-check the bulkhead where the stearing post goes through it/attaches to it.....make sure the aluminum is not cracked
-ask when/if the primary has ever been gone through (if its a higher mileage sled). they seem to fail on some people more than other sleds

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
An 06 M7 is all you will need. I have had Two M7's. A 09 M8 and a 012 M8. By far the most fun were the M7's, and the most dependable.

A
Oct 15, 2010
Fairbanks, Alaska
I'll chime in on the 09 M8. I have 6,300 miles on mine and for the most part it has been bullet proof. The engine and clutches have never been touched, never blown a belt, never fouled a plug, etc. I've replaced idler wheel and axle bearsings , etc, but nothing major.

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
m series

also has the Powerclaw track which makes a big diff. over the 08., look for cracks in the bulk head, busted spiders, broken springs in the clutches.

D

DYEMAN

Banned
Feb 21, 2008
buying used sled

lots of good ideas on the forum, but be sure to turn the sled on it side and inspect for damage .also a good idea to do a compression ck , also ask if there is any extra belts ect to sweeten the deal ,ask if there has been any accidents or insurance claims on that vehicle? you never know until you ask ? compare seri # on the sled to MSO OR any sale documents they provide ask to see state registration stickers and their photo ID to match the sleds ownership (most every owner has this info and you dont buy a stolen or salvaged vehicle) once the cash is gone not much you can do

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
i'm also looking at getting an m series sled, and i'm curious if the 2010 with the H.O. engine is worth the $1200-$1500ish price difference over the 2009's. There are a few of each around me and i've been trying to decide if i want to pay the extra cash. aside from the primary clutch problems on the 2010's, are there many other problems with them? i want a sled that i won't have to spend much on maintenance or breakdowns, as money is tight for me these next couple years while i'm paying for school.

also, is it worth it to get the snopro package? i'm fine without the telescoping handlebars, but are the fox float shocks quite a bit better than the standard coil overs?

Last edited:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
HO is worth the money, I had every model M and each year was better than the last, 2019 or 11 are the only way to go

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
HO motor in a 10 or 11 is definitely worth the money in my opinion. 2010 and 11s were pretty much identical, but the 11s have a little better shock valving. The Float shocks are a bit quicker to make spring adjustments and are lighter, but require you to check them once in a while and service the air sleeve annually (pretty easy to do). Functionally, the spring shocks work fine. Other than checking the spider in the primary clutch you should probably change the bearing in the diamond drive per the sticky thread at the top of the forum. Change the oil once a year in the diamond drive, gas, oil, and ride them!

C
Dec 24, 2014
As mentioned though, for about half the 12-1500 you can buy a pipe/can set up that matches the HO power. Many of the '09s will already have this done. I love those 800 HOs, the pair of 2010s I ride on/with are awesome sleds. Compared back to back, I like the snow pro over the standard, feels a little lighter on the snow.

My buddy has a few, 2 1000s and 2 800 HOs, the go to sled is the 2010 sno pro. It never fails to deliver a great ride no matter who is on it.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I really like my10 seat shape, height and massive storage compartment. They used that seat in 10 & 11 at the earliest. Not sure about 12 but 13 doesn't have the storage.

The adjustable bar was available to add to non-pro models. I added to mine. Really like it. Wish it was an inch or two taller but I am 6-3.

My spider cracked at 800 miles but new clutch has 1800 more miles and looks good, knock on wood.

ask what they have done about the dd bearing, 6203.

I replaced the stock can with an slp and it saves 13# and really reduces under hood temps.

Aftermarket side panel vents a plus, as is dash vents and gauge lifter. I am lacking a lifter.

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I may be biased but, I would get an 09 M8. They are priced right where you want. The 09's had the about a 22 lb. weight savings over the 08s and had electronic reverse (which is awesome) and the telescoping steering post.

With a single pipe, they make very close to the same power as a stock HO (2010 and 2011) version but, with the heavier crankshaft, they don't seem to be as susceptible to primary clutch related issues suffered by the HO models.

The first link is my buddies sled. I know he is VERY motivated to sell this sled. I be he would meet you in Superior.

Here are few close by:

http://spokane.craigslist.org/snw/4842699802.html

http://spokane.craigslist.org/snw/4852878364.html

A 10 or 11 with same mods will always beet the older M without HO motor

10 and 11 come with all the best features

S
Nov 26, 2007
washington
M sled

I put 4000 miles on my 2006 m7. I loved it. Sold it to upgrade to a 2009 m 8 snow pro. Both pretty bulletproof. Do your maintenance (clutches,exhaust valves,diamond drive, etc) they will treat you right. My son's new pro is killing me. Seeing a lot of his snow flap

JordanWilliams

Lifetime Membership
Sep 26, 2013
Eastern South Dakota
As mentioned though, for about half the 12-1500 you can buy a pipe/can set up that matches the HO power. Many of the '09s will already have this done. I love those 800 HOs, the pair of 2010s I ride on/with are awesome sleds. Compared back to back, I like the snow pro over the standard, feels a little lighter on the snow.

My buddy has a few, 2 1000s and 2 800 HOs, the go to sled is the 2010 sno pro. It never fails to deliver a great ride no matter who is on it.

alot of people rag on the 09 as it has a heavier crank. sure the lighter crank will rev faster but the 09's seem to be torque monsters..

Premium Features