• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for shop recomendations in Fairbanks

S
Nov 30, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
I'm looking for someone to work on my 07 Summit 800, the local dealer here in Fairbanks is not accepting anymore snowmachines as they are busy with boats. Any feedback on Tanana Adventure Sports in Delta?

S
Nov 30, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
My 07 Summit 800 has been acting up the last two rides, it will load up when climbing or on flat when under load. I seems to be using more fuel and oil, and smokes more.

I've checked the carbs, they look clean although I didn't take them apart.
Compression was about 140 psi both cylinders.
Cleaned RAVE valves, they were oily. All lines look tight.
Checked DPM unit, solenoid was working. All lines look tight. There is one thing on the DPM that concerns me though and the shop didn't know anything about it, is on the vent tube outlet there is a "vent jet" that shows in the parts breakdown, but I don't see one in mine. Is this a "tuning" thing? The shop had no clue plus it's not listing as an individual part so you have to buy the whole DPM. Maybe mine had it and I lost it when I took the hose off, it's possible. There is also one under the solenoid that you can buy individually.
I looked at the throttle cable adjustment and the oil cable adjustment. I'm a little confused there as should the pump lever be moving before the throttle takes up slack?
Anyway I've about run out of options, I've posted on dootalk and snowest but so far nothing's worked.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
My 07 Summit 800 has been acting up the last two rides, it will load up when climbing or on flat when under load. I seems to be using more fuel and oil, and smokes more.

I've checked the carbs, they look clean although I didn't take them apart.
Compression was about 140 psi both cylinders.
Cleaned RAVE valves, they were oily. All lines look tight.
Checked DPM unit, solenoid was working. All lines look tight. There is one thing on the DPM that concerns me though and the shop didn't know anything about it, is on the vent tube outlet there is a "vent jet" that shows in the parts breakdown, but I don't see one in mine. Is this a "tuning" thing? The shop had no clue plus it's not listing as an individual part so you have to buy the whole DPM. Maybe mine had it and I lost it when I took the hose off, it's possible. There is also one under the solenoid that you can buy individually.
I looked at the throttle cable adjustment and the oil cable adjustment. I'm a little confused there as should the pump lever be moving before the throttle takes up slack?
Anyway I've about run out of options, I've posted on dootalk and snowest but so far nothing's worked.

If it's got to be done local take it to Phillips recreation, if you can take it south take it to Chad. :face-icon-small-hap

S
Nov 30, 2007
Fairbanks, AK
I talked to Phillips and they said they would look at it, I've done business with them for years and they are great people the only thing with my machine that if it's a software issue only the dealer can help out. Is Chad in Delta?

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
Being that I live in the Fairbanks area. Were I to ever own a Skidoo I would only take it to TAS. I'm not a fan of the local shop and the guys at TAS are more than happy to help people out. A buddy of mine has an 07 summit that has spent almost as much time at the shop as it has his garage and TAS has bent over backwards to get the machine right. The problem with his is the damn TRA clutch they put in the 07 is a POS. 06 was the magic year to buy a summit, in 07 they took a good thing and decided to "make it better".

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Being that I live in the Fairbanks area. Were I to ever own a Skidoo I would only take it to TAS. I'm not a fan of the local shop and the guys at TAS are more than happy to help people out. A buddy of mine has an 07 summit that has spent almost as much time at the shop as it has his garage and TAS has bent over backwards to get the machine right. The problem with his is the damn TRA clutch they put in the 07 is a POS. 06 was the magic year to buy a summit, in 07 they took a good thing and decided to "make it better".

The 07 clutch goes through rollers and bushings at an abnormal rate, part of the reason being the cranks on the 07's are pretty wobbly. Has he measured his deflection? If so, chances are good it's out of spec. Also once a season clutch balancing isn't a bad idea.

Premium Features