• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for new to me mountain sled advice

N
Mar 13, 2011
Hello,

I haven’t sledged much, and have a 2000 RMK 700 136” with 1K miles.

I rode the mountains 4 times last year, and I’m buying into a sled camp this year.

I’m looking for recommendations on a good, reliable sled for this season. I’m a very poor rider to be honest, and I’m looking to restrict my budget. I’m gonna hit some trees, and also taking my son to Panama again this winter for medical treatment. (Took him last year) so that eats a good chunk of change.
Realistically I’m looking at a 14-17 area, 800, 163. Until hero show, my 136 held the group up a few times. So I figure the extra traction would be a big help.

Just looking for info on what sleds to consider, what years to avoid, when they will need a rebuild, etc, so I can somewhat try and find something. Looking to aim for 7K CDN, as I’ll need an avi bag etc on top.

Thanks in advance.

74a2e6b3bd77979c4bf8654511ed752b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
I ride Polaris but pre 2016 had some engine reliability issues so if Polaris buy a 16+ but 18 or newer is even better.

For Doo, the XM's were good if you find low kms/miles.

For Cat, the newer, the better, I am told.

Look for warranty as many snow check sleds often had 4 years.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Bumping this thread up instead of starting a new one. I’m looking to spend about the same as the OP but in USD money. I’ve been looking at 08-11 M8s but they can be hard to find with under 2500 miles. Looking to broaden my search to incorporate skidoo 600/800 and Polaris 600s(800s get bad reviews) but wonder what years are better and what mileage should stay under

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Not many options currently. I'm biased towards Polaris, nothing against the other brands, just my experience.

If Polaris, I would start with an Axys chassis, either 6 or 8. 8 has the option of a longer track if that interests you.

B
Dec 14, 2010
Not many options currently. I'm biased towards Polaris, nothing against the other brands, just my experience.

If Polaris, I would start with an Axys chassis, either 6 or 8. 8 has the option of a longer track if that interests you.

I don’t think the OP was necessarily meaning what is currently for sale right now but what should he (and people like him) should be looking for in regards to a mountain sled within his budget

N
Mar 13, 2011
I don’t think the OP was necessarily meaning what is currently for sale right now but what should he (and people like him) should be looking for in regards to a mountain sled within his budget

Yes. I was looking for something along, stay away from pre 15 Polaris, X years of cats etc. And roughly what a recommended sled ride oils require a top end. Say Polaris 16+ 3500km+ etc. So even if I see a sled, but know I should do a top end pre season.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I currently own 15 cats scattered from 05 to 19.
All are great sleds which fit the needs of their rider and price range very well.
Reverse, track length, etc are all obvious defining factors but all are pull and go with very minor maintenance. I’ve lost count how many have come and gone through that same time frame. Kids were trained on pogo phasers but moved to m’s around 8 yrs old. Been a heck of a ride.

For 7 k I’d personally try to find a little more used 18 or newer cat. Or a well trained 15-18 with lower miles.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Granted it isn't quite sled season on the marketplaces, but I was just trying to illustrate that at the $7K mark it starts to get him into a newer chassis regardless of brand.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Should I stay clear of axys sleds over 2000km? Or just put a kit in it pre season?

AXYS sleds are great and more suffer from other issues than pistons. The 16's and 17's suffered from wiring issues that made them susceptible to water ingress into the connectors and relays. They also had wearing of the bushings in the exhaust valves. Each year they improved these things. In 2018 they improved the cooling with an updated thermostat. A top end is a good idea but other things might give you problems first.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Sounds like staying away from any recent Polaris may be the best bet lol
No, not if he wants to really ride. These chassis are the best and the issues they had are well documented and easy to deal with. A poor chassis design and you are pretty well stuck. Other brands have their own issues such as blowing belts, motor mounts, clutching etc. Pick your poison.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
16 up cat has one of the best motors for 800 and the chassis is tough as they get. most need clutches replaces around 2k miles but as do the poos as well. for the money the cat is a good deal. the poo 16 and up is a fun to ride sled but IMO a bit more fragile. the doo is a great sled but the chassis is a totality different animal than the cat and poo. the other thing to consider is dealer support and parts availability.

Premium Features