• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long Track a Matryx Chassis??

T

Toad face killah

Sep 27, 2010
Lake Almanor, Ca
I hate the idea of spending money on a sled that is mostly the same as last years model, only to end up with it being old next year.... What would be the challenges of turning a 146 switchback assault to a 155 mtn sled? Is it worth the cost and effort?

- narrow the front suspension... Will any companies be offering anything comparable to the react front end but for the Matryx chassis? time will tell?
- new 155 rails, new 155 series 8 track. 3.5" drivers.How would one find out about clearance for a longer track before committing? new rear shocks with unknown dimensions.
- add belt drive. factory (or TKI if they make one up soon?)
- running boards have a funky bend that would just have to be dealt with...
- what else am I missing? Is the steering post different from trail sled to mtn sled? looks like a different mount for handle bars...

Is it worth it? I want to hear some thoughts. Did anyone long track the rush chassis before it was a man sled? how did it end up?

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Not worth it way more differences between the mountain and trail chassis then mentioned list could go on forever. Just wait for 2022 unless you have an endless bank account and enjoy messing with stuff.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
If history is a guide in mountain sleds the past 25 years - wait two. Second and third year sleds are often significantly better, just won't get as much attention.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Would be an involved build to get a mtn sled with that body.

Boards, skid, track, front suspension, shocks, spindles (if they fit)

Supposedly 5” narrower cockpit vs axys.

I could maybe turn my current sled into a sba by swapping everything over.

No Quickdrive available on the SBA though.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
As history has proven you only live so long.why spend your life waiting? Not getting any younger.

I would tend to agree. That's why I'm probably snowchecking a 165 Khaos and then in two years when I'm ready to upgrade again, the Matryx chassis should be dialed in!!! After all,as one chassis is slowly phased out, (the Axys in this case) typically means these last year or two tend to be some of the best ones of that chassis. All the little issues are finally worked out !

Another reason that a first year chassis or new model with major changes can be a drag is limited accessories available and ready. It usually takes these companies a good year to get truly caught up and ready, thus making that second year more appealing.

Just little things to think about? But really in the end buy what you want and what makes you happy!! Oh wait, I guess if I bought a new one every year.....that wouldn't make the wifey NOT happy, she's only accepted every other year!! LOL

Last edited:

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Don’t get me wrong, it would be super fun to build one... but it’s just not gonna be anywhere near the sled they will build in 2022. Who knows what changes we will see to things like the tunnel, skid, and front suspension that could not be made to a 2021 SBA.

Would be nice to see some underhood pics of the Matryx. Anyone seen any? Videos? Curious how things are arranged underneath. Ive heard the body is 4-5” narrower. It also looks like things have been brought closer together from front to back.

Lobster Carl

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2018
Does anyone know if the tunnel coolers on the matryx are finned? From the crappy videos ive seen they appear to be wider.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Ive heard the body is 4-5” narrower.

Someone posted pix of this in another thread, and it looks like just the tank area (between the knees) is where it is 4-5" narrower, not the whole body. We shall see once more pictures are posted and measurements taken. Looks promising. Super bummed that there is no tether and the toe loops are still small and low.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Someone posted pix of this in another thread, and it looks like just the tank area (between the knees) is where it is 4-5" narrower, not the whole body. We shall see once more pictures are posted and measurements taken. Looks promising. Super bummed that there is no tether and the toe loops are still small and low.
Yes... I believe you are correct, that was my misunderstanding on the body width.

I would GUESS we will see a tether right next to the key next year... that spot looks like it was designed for one. TONS of people all over social media groaning about no tether.

The foot hold area will be different on the RMK model for sure... the boards will be narrower, and it will have to be redesigned. It’ll be the perfect time for them to fix it... if they changed it on the Axys they would be “admitting” there was a problem all along.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
Well, my buddy has one for sale if anybody is interested....and it's boosted.

"Started out as a 17 switchback assault 144, now a 155 2.6. Upgrades include 39" skins front end, gripper skis, ice age rails, 8" rear wheels, anti stab, avid drivers, boondocker sidekick turbo and a bunch of other stuff. Setup to run from 6-9000 ft. Its essentially a 155 short tunnel turbo. Thing is a blast to ride. I have 2 other sleds and it doesnt make sense for me to have 3. Turbo has only been on for 200 miles. Will include all the stock parts that i have as well."

Asking price is $8,200.

assault 2.jpg assault1.jpg

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Well, my buddy has one for sale if anybody is interested....and it's boosted.

"Started out as a 17 switchback assault 144, now a 155 2.6. Upgrades include 39" skins front end, gripper skis, ice age rails, 8" rear wheels, anti stab, avid drivers, boondocker sidekick turbo and a bunch of other stuff. Setup to run from 6-9000 ft. Its essentially a 155 short tunnel turbo. Thing is a blast to ride. I have 2 other sleds and it doesnt make sense for me to have 3. Turbo has only been on for 200 miles. Will include all the stock parts that i have as well."

Asking price is $8,200.

That’s most definitely not a matryx chassis.

Premium Features