• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long Rod Motor/Indy Dan

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
I think post #98 just hit new lows.

You are correct and I am sorry everyone.

I should have done what I normally do and pretend he is a fly that won't go away.

He is a IndyDan thread hunter and he stays quiet if nothing good is said about motors I build.

If he gets wind I am selling to many he goes on a war path until I say something
To piss people off then he feels he wins and that he hurt my business.

That's his gal, and always has been his goal.

My problem is I believe businesses really should not be on here... Or should I say live on here. This is the most powerful sled forum hands down.

And giving your product away or selling it at a huge discount with a per agreement to push the product is just plain wrong and it happens all to often.

I pay eBay a small fortune and they take 15% of every sale, people who live on here a survive solely off a almost free forum is wrong IMO. And for a business what Kelsey pays to live on here is taking advantage of the forum IMO.

He Brags about a piston and head like its the space shuttle.

I don't brag on here or ram my product on people, I tell it like it is and sum don't like that. I build a motor with a top to bottom 3 warranty that has never been contested and not one person has ever say they have been screwed sinse I started this in 2001 with the big block.

I have a 5 year warranty small block coming out it will drive Kelsey even more Krazy, he hates my warranty it's truly drives him nuts.

Again I am truly sorry for my short blunt thoughtless post.

I will not return to SW again. I am done causing problems and making people say things like....new lows. Wasn't my intention but its the way it came out.

I have met a unbelievable amount of wonderfull people on here !!

Hope to see you all on the snow some where someday.

Think Snow !!

IndyDan

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Pulled the Long Rod motor down today. This motor has been run hard. It has all stock Polaris components, except for the long rods and shim plate. It failed a leak down test. Rings are junk, flaking. Polaris needs to fix this ring issue, it has been going on for to long. Pistons are in good shape, no knife edging as we have seen with the stock rod. Cylinders look awesome. I had taken a dozen pictures of the rings, only two are somewhat clear.

Geo,
Pictures are in post #42.
I will have Dan long rod the 2012 Pro turbo motor for 2013-14.
Won't run the 2011-13 Polaris pistons again.
In the barn will be a 2012 NA LR and a 2012 Turbo LR this season.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
Having just read through the last few posts I'm wondering, if it was as simple as changing pistons wouldn't polaris just change pistons? They aren't above buying a competitors product and just copying it. Also if an independent shop is offering a far superior warrenty than the manufacturer doesn't that show that the indy shop (har, a little play on words there :face-icon-small-ton) has alot of confidence in their product and hasn't gone broke doing warrenty work? Results speak for themself, if guys are having good results with whatever product then go enjoy it and let the internet crap go away. It's been to damn hot around here for 2 weeks now and no end in sight, funny how this sh!t always starts about august.

O

ostnor

Oct 14, 2008
Having just read through the last few posts I'm wondering, if it was as simple as changing pistons wouldn't polaris just change pistons? They aren't above buying a competitors product and just copying it. Also if an independent shop is offering a far superior warrenty than the manufacturer doesn't that show that the indy shop (har, a little play on words there :face-icon-small-ton) has alot of confidence in their product and hasn't gone broke doing warrenty work? Results speak for themself, if guys are having good results with whatever product then go enjoy it and let the internet crap go away. It's been to damn hot around here for 2 weeks now and no end in sight, funny how this sh!t always starts about august.

Maybe it's to expensive for Po to change to Wossner pistons. Wossner piston as RK Tek using is also common to use in the "problem" 08-10 800 engine.
Have heard that some dealer here in Sweden use Wossner instead of the Polaris piston. Interesting that this subject has been up since 2009..

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
Sorry TRS lol and thanx. I just got into skimming through these threads `cause it seems like I read it all before somewhere lol.

My rings look nicer than yours (neh, neh; lol) but I did run 100 to 1ish in the tank. Pistons look like twins to yours with a tight .007" at the bottom and no go at the top (feeler gaugin' it).
I'll be stopping in on a buddy to see how the squirt looks on the injectors before assy. just because and you should.

So it's time to try to order up the parts 'cause the days are getting shorter.
TRS (bunch of questions here), seat of the pants or head to head comparisons during your riding last year, could you (would you lol) quantify how much power from this package (ie. best NA mountain 800 Poo I've had to date; compares to xxxx; never beat: good powerband with just a bit extra on top; ???.
And, Have you seen the '14 piston-ring package yet or will you say out loud what you are leaning towards for a piston-ring package for next season?

After a season on the Pro and this part of SW I respect your thoughts the most. Simple sound improvements.

Thanx for that.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
I put in rk Tek pistons beginning of last year. Rode all year untill last ride when i stuck a piston. Didnt like the WFO pull on the trail racing back to the truck. Ill say i was happy to get a whole season of riding without any problems untill the last day. My motor still vibrated horribly with Rk tek pistons, i didnt notice any power change or anything else. This summer i sent my motor to Dan for his LRTM. It is on the ups truck now heading back home to me. Im hoping my vibration is finally gone and i can go 3 years without touching the motor.

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole
I put in rk Tek pistons beginning of last year. Rode all year untill last ride when i stuck a piston. Didnt like the WFO pull on the trail racing back to the truck. Ill say i was happy to get a whole season of riding without any problems untill the last day. My motor still vibrated horribly with Rk tek pistons, i didnt notice any power change or anything else. This summer i sent my motor to Dan for his LRTM. It is on the ups truck now heading back home to me. Im hoping my vibration is finally gone and i can go 3 years without touching the motor.

I am not trying to start and war :laser: but did you put in pistons and head kit or was it just pistons? how was the piston skit clearance 90* to the pin after a season of rideing?

Last edited:

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
Just did his drop in pistons. No head. I didn't check clearance after the season because the motor locked up and scored the pistons/cylinder. Also not bashing RK TEK. Like I said earlier I locked it up going WFO on the trail after drinking beer at the lodge. Thought I had warmed it up enough before really getting after it but evidently I didn't. Just have to be carefull and make sure the motor is good and warmed up before putting the hammer down with these pistons and that meens AFTER the T stat has opened.

Last edited:

xcmark

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Mass-hole
Just did his drop in pistons. No head. I didn't check clearance after the season because the motor locked up and scored the pistons/cylinder. Also not bashing RK TEK. Like I said earlier I locked it up going WFO on the trail after drinking beer at the lodge. Thought I had warmed it up enough before really getting after it but evidently I didn't. Just have to be carefull and make sure the motor is good and warmed up before putting the hammer down with these pistons and that meens AFTER the T stat has opened.

beer goggles can cause problems with everything in life.... Been there , guilty of it myself. I am just reaching out to those having the parts installed and see if it was worth installing to prevent a problem. I was looking at the head/piston kit to pick up a few HP at a reasonable cost.$1000 for a pipe and fuel controller for maybe 5 hp in my eyes isn't a great bang for the $$$. the top end kit and fuel controller if it added 10 hp seamed like a better idea to me. big bore and fuel controller was to much money to hide from my wife!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Sorry TRS lol and thanx. I just got into skimming through these threads `cause it seems like I read it all before somewhere lol.

My rings look nicer than yours (neh, neh; lol) but I did run 100 to 1ish in the tank. Pistons look like twins to yours with a tight .007" at the bottom and no go at the top (feeler gaugin' it).
I'll be stopping in on a buddy to see how the squirt looks on the injectors before assy. just because and you should.

So it's time to try to order up the parts 'cause the days are getting shorter.
TRS (bunch of questions here), seat of the pants or head to head comparisons during your riding last year, could you (would you lol) quantify how much power from this package (ie. best NA mountain 800 Poo I've had to date; compares to xxxx; never beat: good powerband with just a bit extra on top; ???.
And, Have you seen the '14 piston-ring package yet or will you say out loud what you are leaning towards for a piston-ring package for next season?

After a season on the Pro and this part of SW I respect your thoughts the most. Simple sound improvements.

Thanx for that.

Geo,
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I'll give you a full report when my fall winds down.
The sled settled in with 2.5 grams more weight per cam arm than the stock rod motor.:face-icon-small-hap

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I rode TRS's longrod and a 13 doo xm 163. I first rode the xm and i was impressed pulls hard and climbs well. Then I rode the longrod, there was no comparison.The sled pulls so hard all the way through the powerband you have to hang on. It has no vibration it just pulls, I was having flashbacks of his PSI 995. It sure put a smile on my face.:jaw:

Geo,
Here is a post from one of the guys that rode it in Cooke.

tdbaugha

Lifetime Membership
Apr 18, 2009
USA
Geo,
Thanks for the vote of confidence.
I'll give you a full report when my fall winds down.
The sled settled in with 2.5 grams more weight per cam arm than the stock rod motor.:face-icon-small-hap

.... Sooooo 7.5 grams more!?!?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I assume 62g at 6-8000 and 68g at 0-3000 is stock motor weights?

I am running more but also have higher compression so unsure what is the cause of the extra power.

Saying that, with the LR and 12.5 par head i was running 62gr at 6-8000. Secondary clutching must play a good part in this though so hard to compare.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
I must have missed something here. You guys comparing a long rod motor to a stock motor or a long rod motor to another long rod motor with different stuff like a head?

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Mine is running fine with the new HG7 cyl finish. Only one mountain trip and some flatland riding on it so far, another mountain trip next weekend!

Premium Features