• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800 long rod warranty from Indy specialty

U
Mar 10, 2021
NH
So my switchback 800 blew up a month ago sux but no surprise there. Finally weighed out my options and decided to buy an 800 long rod from Indy Dan but when I went to order it this morning the 3 year warranty option was now only 2years. So I asked myself what’s up with that? Are they having more warranty claims than they anticipated? Are motors still failing prematurely? So I called and spoke with someone. Not sure with whom I spoke. When I asked I was told it was due to the price of parts and not volume of warranty claims. Ok sure, I guess so I asked if they would be willing to honor the 3yr since it just changed and I was told NO since it’s been 2year since November. So I said no it was 3year just a few weeks ago because my motor just failed in feb and when I looked it up it clearly said 3yr I was given the “oh well the website must not have been updated till recently” so I guess my question to you is who bought a motor this season under the impression they were getting a 3yr warranty? Was it clarified during the purchase/ordering process? I felt good about spending the extra money until now.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
So my switchback 800 blew up a month ago sux but no surprise there. Finally weighed out my options and decided to buy an 800 long rod from Indy Dan but when I went to order it this morning the 3 year warranty option was now only 2years. So I asked myself what’s up with that? Are they having more warranty claims than they anticipated? Are motors still failing prematurely? So I called and spoke with someone. Not sure with whom I spoke. When I asked I was told it was due to the price of parts and not volume of warranty claims. Ok sure, I guess so I asked if they would be willing to honor the 3yr since it just changed and I was told NO since it’s been 2year since November. So I said no it was 3year just a few weeks ago because my motor just failed in feb and when I looked it up it clearly said 3yr I was given the “oh well the website must not have been updated till recently” so I guess my question to you is who bought a motor this season under the impression they were getting a 3yr warranty? Was it clarified during the purchase/ordering process? I felt good about spending the extra money until now.
Lol see my post just above yours. My suspicious outlook is based on the same observations! Welcome to the forum
b7a755b03efcc1f023cf034a6e082e55.jpg

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Given Indy Specialties' reputation, I'd consider buying from them without a warranty. Now, is it possible they've started cutting corners and the warranty reflects that? Well, anything's possible, but if it's just a change to the warranty, I don't see any reason to worry. As long as Dan is running it, I can't imagine them selling cut-rate motors. There are other good builders out there, obviously. Some build a decent motor for cheaper, and some of them may be able to match IS quality, but I've only heard of a few builds gone wrong from Dan (and he's sold thousands), and he bent over backwards to make it right.

Premium Features