• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Lithium Battery

D
Dec 9, 2007
I need a new battery in my 2002 AC Touring 660 4-stroke.

A friend who rides dirt bikes loves his lithium battery and suggested I get one. After doing a lot of reading and searching, I'm even more confused.

1) Is there any need/benefit to getting a lithium battery other than the obvious of weight? I don't need to lose the weight on this machine as it is my wife's trail sled and is already ridiculously heavy.

It would seem the lithium battery would lose very little charge over the off season and therefore would need less care (i.e. no battery tender).

If there is a good reason to go lithium, please read on.

2) I'm in California so air temps where I ride aren't typically very low (very rarely below 20s), but would temps be an issue? (one place I say said the operating temp was 40F - 140F, but the same battery on Amazon said operating temps were 0F - 140F, haven't heard back from the manufacturer)

3) The only battery that comes up as "for snowmobiles" is the EarthX, but at $350, I don't see me spending that on a battery. I've seen some more reasonable prices from other companies like Shorai, Ballistic, Stinger, etc but haven't found much feedback from people who have used these on snowmobiles. Are these "other" lithiums ok? I'd be willing to shell out a few more bucks for some benefits, but not an extra $250+

4) Do these lithium starting batteries really blow up that often? I've seen more than one post on review boards of pictures/stories of these blowing up and they are finicky on the voltage coming in. To be honest, I don't really pay much attention to the electrical system, because it everything seems to work as long as the battery is working.

5) What size(specs) lithiun battery do I need? Many of these places put lead-acid equivalent ratings. The AC specs on my battery are around 21aH and 350 CCA. Would I target a lithium that has the similar equivalents or do I look at it a different way?

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
There is absolutely no reason to run a lithium battery in that machine. Weight savings is the biggest bonus and like you said, it won't help that sled out enough.

Premium Features