• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Leaking somewhere?? What is it?

H
Jun 30, 2019
St Anthony, Idaho
Got a 2013 pro rmk. Just got the engine rebuilt about 200 miles ago. Anyways in the bottom of the bulkhead is like a thin oily black oil I guess, doesn’t smell like gas. I have looked closer and it looks to becoming from the bottom of the exhaust valve mold where it seals to the engine with a gasket or the exhaust gasket by the Y pipe connects to the engine. What you guys think? I really don’t want to rebuild the motor again.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
Sounds like oil and fuel, pretty normal with a gasket not sealing well. Need to remove the pipe and reseal the gasket (black rtv). Might also be the exhaust valve solenoid vent, it usually vents under the engine on the belly pan on stock machines.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
You should be able to reuse the pipe to y-pipe gasket but should completly remove it and clean the surfaces. You can try and bend the spring tabs slightly to create more tension on the gasket first. Should be able to ride it fine aslong as its not a real big leak.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk

H
Jun 30, 2019
St Anthony, Idaho
Yeah I’ll try that, I just don’t know if that’s it. I feel like it’s the y pipe gasket that seals it to the engine. But just kinda mad where I just got it back and I have to fix it. Do you think I can run it one more ride or park and fix it?

H
Jun 30, 2019
St Anthony, Idaho
No, i can get you some tomorrow. It looks to be leaking between the top of the y pipe and bottom of the exhaust valves. I noticed it last ride and noticed the y pipe bolts were not completely tight so I tightened them down but judging by the amount of oil in the bottom of the bulkhead it didn’t help. I hope I didn’t ruin anything.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
It isnt going to hurt anything, just going to make a pretty nasty mess.

I sealed the heck out of my Y-pipe and it still leaked last season on my 2011 Pro...didnt hurt anything, just made a mess.

PSI 800

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 1, 2015
north west british columbia
minor details, they never not leak a little. Its good to ride. Next time your thawing out sled spend a couple of hours and take exhaust apart, clean it with brake cleaner and use high temp rtv to seal it up.

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Sorry bad pictures, but it seems to be a leaking exhaust gasket. If your standing on the sled the left side of it is leaking more. I don’t know though what do you guys think?
I pulled 3 y pipes off in the last month. 2 stock 800s and 1 600.
all three were warped on the flange that bolts to engine.
I used a large flat file to take the high spots off then used an slp metal gasket .
Also applied deacon thin[ this stuff is amazing and $$$$]
No more leaks .I use Deacon thin on the exhaust donuts as well.

Vincenthdfan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 22, 2008
Olympia, Washington
I pulled 3 y pipes off in the last month. 2 stock 800s and 1 600.
all three were warped on the flange that bolts to engine.
I used a large flat file to take the high spots off then used an slp metal gasket .
Also applied deacon thin[ this stuff is amazing and $$$$]
No more leaks .I use Deacon thin on the exhaust donuts as well.

I just got done sanding the flat face of my Y pipe the other day on my 2011 Pro.

Had it off to add e-start to my sled, so figured I'd see why it was leaking so much...I colored the whole face with black permanent marker then lapped it on a plate of emery cloth.

Holy crap I couldn't believe how warped it was from the past torquings. After a bunch of lapping hopefully it'll seal well.

Was planning on judicious use of Copper Permatex as usual, but now I'm curious about this Deacon Thin you speak of??

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
I just got done sanding the flat face of my Y pipe the other day on my 2011 Pro.

Had it off to add e-start to my sled, so figured I'd see why it was leaking so much...I colored the whole face with black permanent marker then lapped it on a plate of emery cloth.

Holy crap I couldn't believe how warped it was from the past torquings. After a bunch of lapping hopefully it'll seal well.

Was planning on judicious use of Copper Permatex as usual, but now I'm curious about this Deacon Thin you speak of??
I bought it to seal the flex joints in my asv skid steers, worked so well I used it on all exhaust joints in the sleds.
About 200 miles there is zero leaking.
Purchased from JetLube.

Premium Features