• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KX 500 setup

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
So if I get the 50 watt lighting coil for my KX 500 do I need any sort of rectifier or anything to hook up lights and hand warmers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
So if I get the 50 watt lighting coil for my KX 500 do I need any sort of rectifier or anything to hook up lights and hand warmers?

I can tell you this I put a 40 watt on my cr500 just for hand warmers and egt... They will get .... maybe not cold..... You can tell a difference but it is minimal ....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
500cc is allready too big of a cylinder to fill. doubt punching out the stock cylinder will make any more power, especially with a steel liner. no thanks.

the kx5 jug is really thin at the front, thats why you need a liner, or serious welding and mods to the power valve. piston pin on the kx is only 18mm as well. CR would be my choice for a monster.

i have alot of cylinder work, vf2's, lots of timing, custom pipe, lectron 44, more piston to cylinder clearance. pretty good setup. going to try some more pipe ideas shortly.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
What's the best carb to run. Do the lectron and apt carbs compensate for both altitude and tenp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
Do u think it would work to run a 50 watt lighting coil to rectifier to carve a battery then run my hand warmers and headlight off that?

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
i would just call penton and get their ignition setup. then its done. and your timing is variable. just make real sure you seal up where the wiring goes into the motor. it leaks and will take out your stator if it gets wet.

i like the lectron. needle jet gives you some ability to adjust on the hill if youre not quite right. as far as i know the smartcarb is pretty much the same jsut without the powerjet.

the lectron compensates real well for elevation. in the spring, i had to lean it out a little bit but it wasnt a big deal at all.

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Do u think it would work to run a 50 watt lighting coil to rectifier to carve a battery then run my hand warmers and headlight off that?

Don't waste your time ... As others have said call penton... I have this set up on my CR 500 ... It will run a light or maybe keep the grips from feeling like ice... Far from warm ..

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
What's the best carb to run. Do the lectron and apt carbs compensate for both altitude and tenp

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have both... Go lectron... Also make sure your temps are stable on the engine ... Large spikes really throws them off.... Finally if you add carb heat make sure there is a shut off valve... Too much heat to the carb makes them run poorly ....

Premium Features