• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KX 500 setup

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
I just picked up an 03 KX 500 and did some looking around but am having trouble finding good setup info. Some help would be great.

First off
Carb- what is the best for temp and altitude compensation. Or is jetting a carb best.
Carb heat- is it required? If so who makes it?
Larger stator- does trail tech make one for these bikes like they do the 4 strokes?
What else do I need to know

Thanks in advance

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
West of Boulder, Colorado
I've got a Lectron high velocity 44mm carb set up for the KX500 with a carb heater pressed on to it for sale if you're interested. Once its tuned the first time, I haven't needed to adjust anything.

Stator wise, you can get a 50 watt lighting coil that will run hand warmers and an egt gauge just fine. For more power, check out power dynamo stators, there's a guy on ebay that sells them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Powerdy...ash=item53f75abdb9:g:MiYAAOSwnipWagBz&vxp=mtr

D

DenverSnowBike

Feb 4, 2015
Denver, CO
I've got a Lectron high velocity 44mm carb set up for the KX500 with a carb heater pressed on to it for sale if you're interested. Once its tuned the first time, I haven't needed to adjust anything.

How much?

I'm in Denver and am building a KX500 too. I think I've decided to go with a 44mm lectron.

We can meet up...

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
If I was to do one again I would definitely look at rubber engine mounts to cut vibration off. It's no secret that the vibration is a killer on everything even your body

Vibration wasn't bad on mine until the frame started failing. Then it screwed my hands up it was so bad. I know people have tried rubber engine mounts with poor success from what I have heard.

I saw a homemade counterbalancer on a cr500 implanted in a quad. Seemed to work well. Which in a four wheeler is almost required as the cr500 wrecks those frames. Doesn't seem to be an issue in bikes or 3 wheelers though. The LT500 has a counter balancer, but those engines need a lot of custom work to make them good and reliable.

Honestly if it is snow only steel might be the best way to go, save your money on something that doesn't change much. You can always run newer forks and triples. But there's a huge difference in handling when you get it back on dirt.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND

Stator wise, you can get a 50 watt lighting coil that will run hand warmers and an egt gauge just fine. For more power, check out power dynamo stators, there's a guy on ebay that sells them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Powerdy...ash=item53f75abdb9:g:MiYAAOSwnipWagBz&vxp=mtr

Why are u selling? Did u build something differs not go another way?

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
West of Boulder, Colorado
The lectron actually worked very well once I got it dialed in, definitely minimal tuning required and always easy to start.

I've got a new snow bike project for next season and it doesn't involve a KX500. Two seasons on the 500 was enough for me.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Here's the deal. got 4 seasons on one. ya they vibrate but i dont even notice it. mines a service kx5af. frame is like new

-get a decompression valve

-I have a lectron 44. Can give you the settings. works right from the parking lot to the top. mid season when it was real cold i went to a richer needle but not 100% if i needed it or not.

-with a stock engine the 44 might be too big. maybe the 44hv, 42 etc

-Avid made me a heater that i pressed on. fit wasn't bang on but pretty easy to make work with basic skils. call him up and he can make you one no prob

-Call Penton and get an igniton kit. 70 or 80W, cant remember for sure. I can give you the spec on where to set it depending on what fuel you want to run. there is no key on them so you can set the timing wherever you want. spent lots of time on dyno with mine

-a t-stat on one rad is about right. warms up a little quicker. on the trail up in the am it will get warm now and again. just stop and throw some snow on it.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Each 500 must be different because yah mine vibrates a bit but its not a deal breaker by any means, mostly I don't even notice it just sometimes on the trail.

M5

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Each 500 must be different because yah mine vibrates a bit but its not a deal breaker by any means, mostly I don't even notice it just sometimes on the trail.

M5

Mine was fine till the frame started to crack. vibration got worse each ride till I noticed it. (frame isn't repairable safely btw, upper rail is fractured.)

But Mine had the least vibration mid to upper, and at idle wasn't all that bad, but definitely when screaming it was smooth feeling.

D

DenverSnowBike

Feb 4, 2015
Denver, CO
Mine was fine till the frame started to crack. vibration got worse each ride till I noticed it. (frame isn't repairable safely btw, upper rail is fractured.)

But Mine had the least vibration mid to upper, and at idle wasn't all that bad, but definitely when screaming it was smooth feeling.

I have never thrown my leg over a 500 AF before, but I can't imagine the vibes being unbearable.

I used to ride a 1985 Harley Dyna with a rigid mount engine. That dang thing would rattle the fillings out of your mouth and I rocked that thing for 3 years. You didn't stop shaking for about a half hour after you were done riding, but it never stopped me.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
I have never thrown my leg over a 500 AF before, but I can't imagine the vibes being unbearable.

I used to ride a 1985 Harley Dyna with a rigid mount engine. That dang thing would rattle the fillings out of your mouth and I rocked that thing for 3 years. You didn't stop shaking for about a half hour after you were done riding, but it never stopped me.

Hahaha. Well my fingers swelled up after riding that weekend the crack must have gotten worse. Middle fingers still hurt almost two months later. But it seriously was smooth my first few rides.

1984 cr500, at least the one my dad rode would buzz the crap out of your feet, but as long as it isn't painful, I think it is fine.

He did suggest flex bars for the 540. I couldn't imagine what the maico 700 is like.

Next purpose built snow bike needs something like 650cc, but with a counter balancer, so it is nice and smooth-ish.

D

DenverSnowBike

Feb 4, 2015
Denver, CO
He did suggest flex bars for the 540. I couldn't imagine what the maico 700 is like.

I'll have to look them up...I've been going back and fourth on whether or not to keep my Pro Tapers or just sell my current setup with my bike and get a new setup.

Vibe dampening would be nice!!

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
I want most power possible. What are the best options for stroker or big bore? Found a company called m works that made a 640 stroker kit for the KX 500 but they don't seem to be in business anymore or don't answer their phone or email.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D

DenverSnowBike

Feb 4, 2015
Denver, CO
I want most power possible. What are the best options for stroker or big bore? Found a company called m works that made a 640 stroker kit for the KX 500 but they don't seem to be in business anymore or don't answer their phone or email.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I bought (actually picking it up this wknd) a KX5 with a 540 big bore kit in it and ported. The work was done by LA Sleeve which is a reputable place. I know Adam Millar does work, he's in Canada, look him up on Facebook...Eric Gorr, but just heard an iffy review of him. I'm going to send my head to Adam here in a while to get a decompression mod done, and the chamber squish mod.

There's different reeds you can get, reed spacers, exhaust, high end carbs...and in going to probably run a good high end fuel, just need to price everything out and see what availability there is. Really don't want to pay $12/gallon, but I'd be ok with $7-$9 for solid, stable fuel.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
I bought (actually picking it up this wknd) a KX5 with a 540 big bore kit in it and ported. The work was done by LA Sleeve which is a reputable place. I know Adam Millar does work, he's in Canada, look him up on Facebook...Eric Gorr, but just heard an iffy review of him. I'm going to send my head to Adam here in a while to get a decompression mod done, and the chamber squish mod.

There's different reeds you can get, reed spacers, exhaust, high end carbs...and in going to probably run a good high end fuel, just need to price everything out and see what availability there is. Really don't want to pay $12/gallon, but I'd be ok with $7-$9 for solid, stable fuel.

An iffy review?

Eric Gorr is one of the most reputable guys in business.

Premium Features