• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ktm 350 sxf

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
So here is the deal I currently have an RMZ 250 which has hands down been my favorite bike I have ever owned. I also have a 12 and 15 rmk pro 800. Looking at getting rid of one of the pros and the rmz. Here is my dilemma, I live in Minnesota and although I love the mountains better I ride motocross tracks 80% more than I do snow sports. I absolutely will not buy a 450 motocross bike as I have more fun on the small bores and I also find when I get tired I get myself into sketchy situations on a 450 doing motocross. So that option is out. I have found a ktm sxf 350 with 2 hours on it for a great price. I won't do a xcf model or whatever they are, has to be the motocross model. Please don't say get a 450 or bigger as not an option. But if you say the the 350 will be terrible in snow and won't be fun than I all together will pass on this option all together. Just need a way to eliminate some of the toys I have and dollars I have into toys as I'm on a budget now days and tight on room for storing toys. I am pretty confident I will like the 350 for motocross but not 100% sure on snow yet?

On a side note how many of you snow bikers actually ride motocross or race? Just curious because I've heard if you keep the rpms up on the 350 it will be fine as a snowbike and since I race I don't see that being too much of an issue. *note I have never ridden a snowbike before

Excalibur

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2011
Lewiston, ID
Good points to consider! Take a look at the 16-17 KTM 350XC-F and the 17 Husky FX 350. Very close to the MX versions (XCs are quite different from the XCW) . This bike does have a six speed! From what you are wanting I think this might fit well. If not, then yes I would get the SX-F!!! :face-icon-small-coo

I have a 16 450SX-F and it will be a dedicated snow bike. No Motocross for me. I have a 14 350 XCFW for summer woods riding. The newer 350 SX or XC will work fine for a snow bike, yes the power curve is up higher. The 450s will work a little better in the snow.

pho_bike_90_re.jpg Husky.jpg

Last edited:

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
You have some good points there. I know the sxf 350 is a close range 5 speed which is ideal for moto, but how about the snow, I do want to be ripping gears when I am snowbiking, would like to incorporate for speed than I can on a sled.

But I really can't consider any other options than the 2014 sxf350 because it has 2 hours and is in the mid $4s. That is what really sparked this idea into action. Just don't want to get it and find out it is terrible for a snowbike, because if it is I will keep my rmz and keep my sled for this season anyway. And I don't want to buy a dirtbike just to strictly dedicate to snow biking.

needpowder

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Utah
The 350 I saw this year was doing just fine. That seems like a screaming deal!
I'm a big fan of a dedicated snow bike but where I live I can moto pretty much all winter long.

B

barefooter

Nov 27, 2007
Sherwood Park, AB
Rode a buddy's 350 a few times this winter. Great in the trees. Just have to keep the revs up. I do't think you will not ice it flatland riding

DO NOT think that you will get anything close out of a bike in terms of top speed - than you will from a sled. Especially a 350. Just down on power compared to a 450 in pulling higher gears

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Whats your thought on that? Are you thinking I will realize I will want a 450 for snowbiking or are you more so talking about the dirtbiking side of it?

Y
Jul 19, 2016
Marquette, MI
Go on Youtube there's plenty of vids of KTM 350's with Timbsleds, they do just fine. I've got a buddy who put one on his Husky 350 and he had a blast on it last year. I'm putting a ST on my Beta 350RR this winter.

ultrasks700

Premium Member
Jul 7, 2009
MAINE
I currently own a 15 Husky FC350, hopefully it will have a kit on it soon. I don't think they will have a problem. I've also ridden a FC450 and yes down low end power is defiantly more noticeable however top end on the 350 is right there in 450 range. I let a vet expert try my bike the other day, he has been riding 450's since they came out and the words from his mouth were "that's the best dirtbike I've even ridden" and he's rode and owned then all. In a MX situation the 350's are an amazing machine

wwillf01

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2012
Heber Ut
Think of it like this your 350 will have more hp then our 450's do at 10,000 feet... It will be fine....

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yaeger34

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2015
St cloud mn
Since we are on this subject and I know very little about snowbikes, I guess my next question is which set up to get for this ktm 350. I am trying to stay fairly cheap on all of this. I am guessing a 121 ST is what I will want for my style and for the bikes power. I was thinking a used timbersled, it there years I should stay away from or benefits to spending more on a new 16 or 17, etc. What are wear items on a kit anyway. Also what about the sx121. I want to do drops and jump random stuff, I will be mostly riding with sleds too if that has any affect, but if they aren't tree riders I will pull the sled out for those days for sure.

Premium Features