• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

King Cat steering post relocate

H
Nov 10, 2008
Is it possible to relocate the stock steering post on my 05 KK carbed version to or do I need to be calling CC Machine for a Wildchild post.

Is there an easy way to get to the mounting bolts on the bottom of the post??

Anyone have pics of how much hood to cut (I've got the SLP airbox mod which doesn't leave much room on the hood without hacking into the alum air inlet piece) What about a the big @ss hole in the console??

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
Kingcat post?

The stock post is straight, you will need one with a bend in it to clear the carbs when you stand it up. I was going to try the same thing. I bought the CR Racing post, fast service, kinda spendy though. I made a template of it so I can copy it if I need to later. Bottom bolt easy to get with the stock skid pan off. Lots of screws, but thats easy. Good luck-00's

Last edited:
S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
Hey zero's, I think I'm stalking you, LOL. I was just searching for posts on the aft. mkt. steering post and found your comments. I got one of them from a friend who had it but never installed it. I want to put it on but don't have any instructions or know who makes it? Wildchild maybe? CC machine, CR Racing? Anyway, just wondering if you had any info. pics or instructions that came with yours you wouldn't mind sharing as well? I'm sure I could figure it out but I understand that I have to notch the motor mount & Oil resi. mount? Would help to have instuctions rather than cut and test, cut and test etc.

Also, at the very bottom, by the uni-ball joint, there appears to be what is a plastic plug in what I assume is a zerc. hole? Am I suppossed to fit a zerc. in that hole perhaps?

Thanks again,
biGjOhn

P
Jan 15, 2005
ND
You can move the stock post. I did it to two sleds. You have to drill new holes to remount the post towards the exhaust side of the sled. Both top and bottom and reposition in front of the crossmember. Moving the post over lets it clear the throttle bodies and you don't notice that it's moved over 1/2" to 3/4".

Not sure on a carbed version. Should be able to make it work though.

There are no zerks on the stock post. Not sure about aftermarket.

S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
You can move the stock post. I did it to two sleds. You have to drill new holes to remount the post towards the exhaust side of the sled. Both top and bottom and reposition in front of the crossmember. Moving the post over lets it clear the throttle bodies and you don't notice that it's moved over 1/2" to 3/4".

Not sure on a carbed version. Should be able to make it work though.

There are no zerks on the stock post. Not sure about aftermarket.

Thanks for the info. Since I already have the bent after market one, I'm gonna just run with it, plus it is Chromolly, much stronger and 1" longer too. I just need to find some instructions on where & what to cut etc. if anyone has them and if I'm suppossed to put a zerc. fitting in that uni-ball hole?
thanks,
biGjOhn

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
SuaveGato

I only had to modify the oil resivoir bracket. I did not modify the motor mount. I have a couple of pics, it is pretty self explanitary. Not a tough job. I removed the belly pan, air box, carbs. After that you have pretty good access. Oh, mine is the CR-Racing post, I don't know how it compares to the wildchild? Good luck!-00's
DSCN0464.jpg
DSCN0505.jpg
DSCN0510.jpg

Last edited:
S

SuaveGato

Jul 1, 2008
Thanks for the info. & Pics. I PM'd you a few days ago thanking you too but wanted to post a public big THANK YOU for your help!
Happy New Year to you & yours!

Also, I just pulled my old one out and put the new one in. Mine looks identical to your pics, down to the green thread protecting tape on it, so I assume it's a CR-Racing post too? Just wanted to ad o side note...
I pulled mine out through the bottom but it was a major PITA. Mostly due to the fact that I had it up on saw horses, not a "real" snowmobile jack, so I had MANY clearance issues getting it out. Since it comes out the bottom, you will need A LOT of "wiggle room" to spin it and twist it and move it side to side, back & forth etc. I had way too many cross braces etc. between my skis setting on the saw horses so I had to drop it nearly straight down & out. Would have been MUCH easier if I could have wobbled it around a lot more. So, if anyone else reads this, keep that in mind when setting your sled up in the air.

EDIT: or just tip the sled on it's side to pull it out the bottom instead of jacking it up in the air.

Now, that said, when I put the new post back in, just for chit's & giggles, I tried to put it in from the top... slipped right in NO problem, MUCH easier! Might be because when re-installing it's in FRONT of the hoop instead of behind it, so you wouldn't be able to remove the OEM out the top? Don't know I didn't try but I would recommend if doing it again, try to pull the OEM one out the top and see if it works? If not, then Jack up, remove the belly pan and go through the bottom. Just leave a wide birth around the bottom where you will drop it out, so you can finagle it around a LOT!

Haven't finished yet, just got the bottom mounting done, now have to finish up the other mods I'm doing so I can lower the sled to finish it up. I can't turn the bars right now the way I have it jacked up... it's sitting on the skis, on 2x4's, across saw horse...

Anyway, thanks again. will post a final, final when I'm done.

biGjOhn

Last edited:
Premium Features