• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Khaosing a 165

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Currently working to get my 550lb vibrator running smooth… then I’d like to address how planted this sled is.

Long story short I’m a 155 guy, walked into a dealer a couple days before a trip and they had a 165 Pro that I liked… and I impulse bought the thing (not normal for me).

I’m thinking about doing an ice age chaos conversion. Will I be happy with the amount of play? It’s going to need to be SIGNIFICANTLY lighter feeling than it currently is. I enjoy bowties and such, but also enjoy steep nasty stuff- so I’m hoping for the best of both world.

Also wondering if anyone has run both the floats and the coil overs? I’d prefer the coils unless theres some compromise there.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Coils are for poor people who can't afford floats ? There really is no comparison...
Lol I wouldn’t expect any different of an answer from you, Chilly. I sold the QS3 Burandt Floats on my 2019 and went to peasant Carls valved mono tubes because they rode significantly better than the floats.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Currently working to get my 550lb vibrator running smooth… then I’d like to address how planted this sled is.

Long story short I’m a 155 guy, walked into a dealer a couple days before a trip and they had a 165 Pro that I liked… and I impulse bought the thing (not normal for me).

I’m thinking about doing an ice age chaos conversion. Will I be happy with the amount of play? It’s going to need to be SIGNIFICANTLY lighter feeling than it currently is. I enjoy bowties and such, but also enjoy steep nasty stuff- so I’m hoping for the best of both world.

Also wondering if anyone has run both the floats and the coil overs? I’d prefer the coils unless theres some compromise there.
After Khaos converting a 165 boost with burandt fox coils?

The ride is smooth and eats bumps and jumps great.

It helped get the ski’s a little lighter…… but……

The 165 length is still not playful…… (at least with the series 8 track)

My brother has the floats and I have yet to see any situation they are meaningfully better….

Lighter wallet maybe?

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

My brother has the floats and I have yet to see any situation they are meaningfully better….

Lighter wallet maybe?
I've got the 300lx on there.

I was really surprised at how planted this 165 is. I rode a buddies 2022 Boost, Pro 163x3 (factory). Was super playful.

Edit... not SUPER playful, but could bring it up and over on command on any decent incline.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I've got the 300lx on there.

I was really surprised at how planted this 165 is. I rode a buddies 2022 Boost, Pro 163x3 (factory). Was super playful.

Edit... not SUPER playful, but could bring it up and over on command on any decent incline.
Part of what you are seeing on that boost is likely the 10 mph trackspeed advantage. (We see similar with equal sleds 9r vs boost with the boost coming over easier than the 9r)

Oh yeah you are having the vibration issues.

I don’t think a 165 matryx will ever get as crazy wheelie happy as the 162 x3 axys khaos was.

But a 300lx and fox / ice age khaos conversion should get you to 155 x 2.6 axys pro feeling.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Lol I wouldn’t expect any different of an answer from you, Chilly. I sold the QS3 Burandt Floats on my 2019 and went to peasant Carls valved mono tubes because they rode significantly better than the floats.
Carl's stuff is great for the price. Way better than coil Fox. I was impressed with Cody's set up. Fox only made the coils for the hillbillies that claim they blow out air shocks. Is personally I have never seen an air shock collapse.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA

Lighter wallet maybe?
The best thing about the air shocks is you can get baseline settings from people that have spent years testing them. For guys like Me, that don't want to spend all day on the mountain working and tinkering on their sled they are perfect. Adjusting coils is a waste of life.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I have one of those hillbilly friends... he blew out every float he ever touched ?

Maybe I'm one of those hillbillies as well, every time I adjusted them I'd dump an unknown amount of pressure unscrewing the pump. I've always thought coils are pretty fool(me) proof for adjustments.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I have one of those hillbilly friends... he blew out every float he ever touched ?

Maybe I'm one of those hillbillies as well, every time I adjusted them I'd dump an unknown amount of pressure unscrewing the pump. I've always thought coils are pretty fool(me) proof for adjustments.
I'm just talking about what you set them up to for the preload on the Springs.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
IMO thr 165 khaos is a great sled. Keeps the skis light and enjoyable ride. Will never whip around like the 155 but it will also tackle tech terrain way easier. Much more controllable transfer and holds edge in gnarly terrain better.

I don't own one but I always enjoy the times when I ride them.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I'm just talking about what you set them up to for the preload on the Springs.
Yeah still running with what BBA set them at for my weight.

I’ve seen a bunch of flat air shocks.

WE and Fox.

Riding through alders beats them up.

Never had a Fox coil go flat yet. ??‍♂️

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I think the coils are consistently smoother operating.
I hate how the air shocks lock up after sitting for a few minutes. Yeah it just needs one good yank, stomp, shove, buonce, to free it up, but annoying nonetheless.

Coils don't......

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc

Lighter wallet maybe?
Im under the same impression, i just bought qs3s and im tottaly disapointed in them, was 4k cdn and they ride worse than the stockers. Im actually supprised how many pros use them.

C
Dec 14, 2020
Im under the same impression, i just bought qs3s and im tottaly disapointed in them, was 4k cdn and they ride worse than the stockers. Im actually supprised how many pros use them.

Have you adjusted them?

My buddy complained about his. When I told him to get out his pump and play with air pressure he looked at me like I was dumb.

They have a min and max pressure. Try somewhere in between and keep changing it until it feels good.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Do u have some good float settings that u can share?
How much do you weigh with your gear?
I am running:
Skis: 50 main 100 evol Front track: 15 Rear track: 130 main 150 evol Rebound: middle setting. You can run the rebound on the softest setting for more plush. I just recently moved to the middle setting as it pops the sled out of the snow better when you are doing bow-ties and hop-overs.

Last edited:
Premium Features