• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

K-Mod versus EZ Ryde?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
EzRyde has a new pivoting skid out, check it out.

Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqCFsdc0xg8

Seems like you could pin or bolt that solid pretty easy if you wanted to. Might be pretty sweet. Could have the best of both worlds: solid when you need it to be, or flexy when you want it to be. I also like how that design doesn't flex the front part of the skid like the t-motion does.

wyorider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Just buy a skidoo

The new skid from EzRyde has 10 degrees of motion each direction this is 5 time the amount of a Ski-doo, so you could say that is a T-motion on steroids.

It also has a pin to lock the motion and become a normal EzRyde. What I found to be the most useful is that on high HP setups, you could run a little bit more ski pleasure but the sled felt so nimble and so easy to throw around compared to the stock skid. With the geometry of the EzRyde and now the pivot you get a sled that is controllable when you are on the gas but keeps the flickable and nimble feel like a jet ski.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
The new skid from EzRyde has 10 degrees of motion each direction this is 5 time the amount of a Ski-doo, so you could say that is a T-motion on steroids.

It also has a pin to lock the motion and become a normal EzRyde. What I found to be the most useful is that on high HP setups, you could run a little bit more ski pleasure but the sled felt so nimble and so easy to throw around compared to the stock skid. With the geometry of the EzRyde and now the pivot you get a sled that is controllable when you are on the gas but keeps the flickable and nimble feel like a jet ski.

That's what the t-motion is missing, ski control.
Oh and strength.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
I try to refrain from posting negative findings on aftermarket products. But I will chime in here. Does this new EZ exacerbate the issue of the previous Ezryde?
This issue is track scrub on the tunnel sides. With the forward mounted main frame, the side to side movement lets the track scrub and is compounded by the minimal side clearance in the pro chassis? I worked with 3 sleds with EZ suspensions that were finally removed and sold. Find one on the snow and inspect the tunnel and side to side movement.

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
I try to refrain from posting negative findings on aftermarket products. But I will chime in here. Does this new EZ exacerbate the issue of the previous Ezryde?

This issue is track scrub on the tunnel sides. With the forward mounted main frame, the side to side movement lets the track scrub and is compounded by the minimal side clearance in the pro chassis? I worked with 3 sleds with EZ suspensions that were finally removed and sold. Find one on the snow and inspect the tunnel and side to side movement.

A friend has a ezryde on a m series cat. He loves it. But has to replace all the bushings in the skid once a year. Otherwise it gets really sloppy.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
A friend has a ezryde on a m series cat. He loves it. But has to replace all the bushings in the skid once a year. Otherwise it gets really sloppy.

Yes, we replaced bushings many times. They were high maintenance. EZ even sent a new main arm free of charge. They are good people to work with.
The suspension works. It is all the associated problems from track scrub. Track speed, consistent clutching, belt heat, track belt/lug wear, and more.

wyorider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
EzRyde

I know that the new EzRyde has spherical bearings in the shock to eliminate the fox style bushing (no more repayment parts each year).

They also addressed the track rub issue, with side arm guards that keep the skid frame from walking around. It is a peace that is mounted to the rails that guides the arm through the motion, and keeps the skid and arm parallel.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Tony, the newer models have blocks on the side of the rails to help keep everything inline while traveling through the motion. I don't know if it completely eliminates it, BUT I do know it helps keep things way more under control then the skids of old. Everything up until the '14 skids without these i couldnt beleive how much the tips of the rails wander. skid tails, etc.

ON the note of just skid vs skid. I had the pleasure of riding two identical turbo XM's with each skid underneath. Both purely out of the box settings on the shocks. here is my brief overview after a few hours of riding both of them.

First off, they both handle 10x nicer then stock. the better shocks just soak up the bumps. it was a 10 mile trail in with some good 1' deep chatter bumps and I was amazed at how much faster i could ride on both without getting chucked around.

Ezryde-
-soaked up the deeper bumps better, you just dont feel them.
- very playful front of the sled while maintaining good ski control.
-rides slightly down in the shock stroke allowing it to drop into holes well.
-blasting through hard packed wind lips this thing is a dream, no wonder so many race guys run it.
-on hard snow its definitely my favorite suspension

KMOD
-excellent ski lift control (depending on coupler setting)
-great improvement over stock when hitting bumps of all size.
-rides at full height, seems to stay out of the snow a little higher which is favorable for powder riding
-when coupled to the lowest setting it seem to do re-entry style maneuvers with much less effot
-for deep powder the kmod definately takes the cake.

As for durability, they are definately two of the strongest skids, Both of them are rigid as can be and very well though out and strength and durability comes above pure light weight in the design. I would not desitate to buy either one, But my choice would be made by what my riding goal was with the sled.

Last edited:

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Thanks Nick and Wyorider, great to hear they addressed the issue.

Nick, as you stated, the EZ does perform very well and ride/control adjustments make noticeable changes. Hope for the opportunity to straddle a new version next season.

B

bwylde

Mar 19, 2011
Vancouver Island
Last season i pulled the Ezryde and put in a Kmod with Raptors and am real happy with that decision-apart from track scrub Ezryde worked well, but i think the coupled Kmod is more forgiving(at least on my sled) and i need all the help i can get. (RT1000 163 with a 280lb rider) I definitely like it better in deeper snow which is mostly what we have here. An Ezryde that pivots and locks sounds like a good step forward for them.

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Ez ride or Kmod conversion

If anyone has put an Ezride or Kmod on their 163 Pro, I am looking for a rear suspension/skids and shocks complete to put under as I have damaged under carriage and can't afford EZRIDE right now but maybe later but want to be ready for first snow next year.

gtwitch in wyoming

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
Still can't beilve that there isn't anymore talk about the timbersled. With all the shock options they have. Looks like the boondocker crew all uses them too

Last edited:

Snowmow

Lifetime Membership
Mar 20, 2011
Gillette, Wyoming
If anyone has put an Ezride or Kmod on their 163 Pro, I am looking for a rear suspension/skids and shocks complete to put under as I have damaged under carriage and can't afford EZRIDE right now but maybe later but want to be ready for first snow next year.

gtwitch in wyoming

You should looks at wyoriders sled for sale. It has the ezryde skid on it and he's in Laramie .

96STOMMY96

Dec 3, 2020
Idaho Falls
I had an EZ Ryde on my GenII (one of the FEW GenII EZ Rydes) and it was awesome with the Fox Zero Pros.
Soaked up the chatter and bomb holes on the trails.
Took the hits when climbing and hitting ruts or holes.

Keeps the sled from tail-walking.

I never disliked my EZ Ryde. Wish I still had it.
Do you remember how you mounted the skid? Been looking for anyone thats done it on the okder sleds. I have an edge that im building and have two 154” ez ryde skids to do something with. Would love to put it in one.

Premium Features