• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just got wind of this

K

kidrman

Nov 21, 2007
Spokane WA
The Scott Turbo were the best ever. I have tried them all and struggle with fit on my nose. I have a pair of Triple Nine that work pretty well and the price is right. I may try Dragon after reading this.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
Goggles are a funny thing. I have had good luck with all the mentioned brands that I have tried except for Scotts. Maybe it was the particular model I had or lens. Not sure why some people can't put googles on and make them work. I have had Smith, 509 several models, Scott Oakley, Tripple 9.

My favorites right now are the 509 X5 photochromatic, then yellow & rose. Also love the new Tripple 9's. They all work fine for me with now fogging and excessive air leaking in.

C
Apr 28, 2008
spokane wa
I have been using a scott turbo with blue color changing lens for many years, never had a problem rarely fogged up on me but age has gotten to them, was sooo exited to give my local 509 company a try I even have friends that work there, got me a pair of 509 x5 no more than 30 minutes into the day I was fogged up like crazy, tossed them into the backpack pulled out a cheap pair of STAGE promos from another thread, I was so impressed I'm buying another with different color lens, spent the rest of the day in that goggle and not a spec of fog... I will give my x5 another try next time im out, this time I will take off the nose piece I suspect that is the culprit of trapped hot air going up into the goggle.
Its funny and my wife called me out on it too, I spend so much more $ on gear for my other winter passion, snowboarding, just spent $250 on a pair of smiths , but for snowmobiling I tend to cheap out.

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I had no luck with 509 goggles and the carbon fiber helmet just didn't fit my head shape. Which I think is the issue at least in part with the goggles. Some people love their stuff. There must be a reason besides marketing. I wish them well regardless.They are a sled friendly business and that's all I need to know.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
I've had good luck with 509's but like many others they aren't the only goggles in my bag. Goggles are a tricky thing and sometimes you have to learn what works with one pair vs. another.

GoBigParts

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Michigan
www.gobigparts.com
I can probably strap on any goggle and have good luck. I guess I am missing what part of it is so hard to put a pair on and not have them fog. My be I have a very forgiving head shape, and not a heavy breather or sweater. I am not sure.

I do see some advantages over properly built snowmobile goggles. Like wider foam to fill the helmet opening so I don't freeze or frostbite my forehead or face. Also, like the 509 X5's and Tripple 9 Style for the Wider field of vision. That makes a big difference for how much you can see around you. Just try on a old pair of Sinisters, Smiths, Oakley's or what not. The field of view is much narrower. The double pane lens with the right venting helps a lot as well. So there are certain attributes I look for but have tried many with good results.

Premium Features