• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Just bought a 2006 RMK 700 CFI

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Hi, Norway speaking..

New to the forum.. Just bought a 2006 RMK 700 with a 151" track.

Any known problems on this sled i should be aware?
Just got it back from the dealer after the latest upgrades. Chaincase cover and a fuel gauge fix i believe.

The sled has about 1200 miles, and so far i am really happy with it. Switched from my old DOO to hopefully get rid of crank problems and piston blowing.

G

GBCB

Nov 19, 2008
Crested Butte, Co
Just Like Me

Norway,
You're just like me. I found this forum AFTER buying this exact same machine. Now you get to be more like me just waiting for the crank to go. Seriously, the 755/966 have lots of documented problems. Some issues have to be adressed to protect your investment (vent it, replace oil cable, reove front radiator). Other upgrades are needed only if you plan on hanging with the $8000 sleds (crappy steering, too high gearing). Best tip off all on this forum- Warm this puppy up really well before riding! You get what you pay for- hope it wasn't too much.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
DIMEBAG..

PM me if you need some info..i am pretty busy at the moment..but my wife has this sled..actually is very reliable when you work the qwerks out..been great so far..

i will update this thread in abit with some info you will need..and to answer your questions..

others will chime in, but dont believe the HYPE..its all about how you maintain it and warm it up..vent that baby too..

no crank issues with good warm up, and balnce your primary..use 115 belt with proper belt deflection and shimming..

W
Feb 27, 2008
i own the same sled.snow checked it brand new.you will find many people on this forum wanting to bash these sleds.most if not all of these people have never owned one.they have a friend who had one once...or heard from a guy.most of the people who actually own and ride these sleds think quite the opposite,myself included.1300 miles never a problem.thats not saying that these sleds dont have their problems because they do.but find me a sled ,any make or model that doesent(08-09 dragon 800s).as guido stated above there are several people with some experience working on these sleds...myself,guido,and newfiebullet come to mind...and mountainhorse seems to be the be all end all for all things polaris.feel free to pm me any time.

P

proflexbeast

Polaris 755 Big Block Machine

Right along with all you guys on your previous comments. I have had no problems with my 06 755.....love it.....sure to get a little better performance out of the sled you will need to spend some money on upgrades such as i have. Have had not one single problem or gripe. My brother just completed 8 years of college and got a pharmacy degree...now he's makes big coin as a pharmacist....well he decided he wanted to up the ante on me and purchase an 08 800 163....let me tell you he is very disappointed with his sled (along with other owners, just check the polaris threads). That ride of his has been in the shop more times than not. Dont let others convince you that you made a bad purchase. Find out for yourself. Im sure that you will be tickled pink with your new ride. Just like the other comments....Vent Vent Vent..

D

duece1

Oct 26, 2008
I have an 06 755 as well. Needed a few minor mods to be a good sled, but all in all is a good sled. Sled was new to me this year with about 900 miles on it. I rode the crap out of this sled all season since the weekend after thanksgiving out here in the snowies and until last weekend never had a major problom. I put 1200 miles of nothing but wide open throttle climb after climb on it this year. Siezed up last weekend with approx. 2100 miles on it. Crank started to come apart and the pto stub counter weight is rubbing on the side of the case, but every thing else looks good yet. The 755 seems to be a good motor and has not had all the probloms of the 900. It could never hold its own with the buddies M8 but was not far behind. Just like every other sled I had had, it is either blown up or soon to be blown up!!!:rolleyes:

P

proflexbeast

I have an 06 755 as well. Needed a few minor mods to be a good sled, but all in all is a good sled. Sled was new to me this year with about 900 miles on it. I rode the crap out of this sled all season since the weekend after thanksgiving out here in the snowies and until last weekend never had a major problom. I put 1200 miles of nothing but wide open throttle climb after climb on it this year. Siezed up last weekend with approx. 2100 miles on it. Crank started to come apart and the pto stub counter weight is rubbing on the side of the case, but every thing else looks good yet. The 755 seems to be a good motor and has not had all the probloms of the 900. It could never hold its own with the buddies M8 but was not far behind. Just like every other sled I had had, it is either blown up or soon to be blown up!!!:rolleyes:
Hey are you going to tackle the repairs yourself. Did you notice anything different when the motor seized? I have 1100 relatively easy going miles on mine. Thought i ask.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
Thanks for all the replies. What kind of venting kits do you prefer?

I looked at the xxxmodrods side vent kits, not too expensive - and looks good!
Do you think that kit will be enough?

Kind regards

N

NewfieBullet1973

Dec 20, 2007
Hey - 4500 miles and counting on mine.
One blown belt in that period and no major damage (a few odds and ends but that's to be expected - and I ride that think hard).
I will take a serious look at all the components in the off season this year - getting to the mileage point where something has to be brewing.

Just need to do the things mentioned on here with regard to up grades -
- Run the newer belt (change deflection), vents (of any kind), torque arm & push bar, gear down, get someone that knows clutching to balance and set it up, new skis are a must I run SLP PP's and I find them awesome, do something with that stock airbox and get rid of that stock exhaust and front rad - those things are heavier then my suitcases when I go on holidays.

Like I continue to say this is a sled that very rarely will be loved as a result of the initial ride - takes time to get used to but like most of us that stuck with them we really enjoy them. My buddies are afraid to ride mine and just can't get the feel for it - I rode a 09-800 Summit for 4 days last week and I wouldn't trade my 700RMK for it if it was free. JMO so don't anyone start throwing knives LOL - but enjoy!!!

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Thanks for all the replies. What kind of venting kits do you prefer?

I looked at the xxxmodrods side vent kits, not too expensive - and looks good!
Do you think that kit will be enough?

Kind regards

A lot of people are running the xxxmodrods vents on their IQ's and their RAW chassis sleds with nothing bad to say about them, I like them. I would install the hood vents along with the side panel vents.

D

Dimebag

Mar 11, 2009
How much lower engine temp can i expect with this side vent kit installed? Why should i remove the front rad? Wont that make the temperature increase?

W
Feb 27, 2008
removiving the radiator out of these sleds drops like 10 lbs out of the nose.i used the slp kit on mine and it seems to run cooler without it.one of the cheapest/best mods for this sled.

W
Feb 27, 2008
i put my limiter straps in the bottom hole , raised my front skid shock to the top hole and re geared to the 19/42 gears.still works with stock chain and also not too expensive. seemed to really help the ski pressure/diving issues.

D

duece1

Oct 26, 2008
Hey are you going to tackle the repairs yourself. Did you notice anything different when the motor seized? I have 1100 relatively easy going miles on mine. Thought i ask.

I think my crank problom can possibly be related to the rubber gasket being bad where the air box connects to the plastic housing connecting to the carbs. Not the gasket at the throttle bodies, but the one where the airbox disconnects. I had noticed it was getting bad earlier that day and maybe it was sucking snow in the small tear in the rubber. The reed cage on the pto side had a couple small twigs in there as well that looked like they had been there quite some time. I would reccomend one of the cold air intakes to get rid of the poor design of stock air box. If the stock ones pops loose you are sucking snow and crap directly in. Was always going to buy one, but kept putting it off. 19/42 gears and 64 or 66 weights. Cant remember but the ones for 10,000-12,000 worked great in the powder. Had to watch for overrev on the hard pac however.

G

GBCB

Nov 19, 2008
Crested Butte, Co
Radiator

Removal of the radiator can be found at thread #105178. $2.00 of fittngs at hardware store. Great pics from MH there. The way Polaris had it set up all the coolant to the front rad (path of least resistance). When the front gets plugged with snow (I assume you'll ride in powder), you will overheat. Remove radiator, tape off lower front vents, and buy scratchers on forum from Summitseeker - always use them on the trail. This machines heat exchanger runs down the outside of the board rails instead of under the tunnel. When temps are still high or if you choose not to buy scratchers, you can effectively cool machine by packing snow on rails. On screen, I watch engine temp more than rpm. Also, I think you can scroll thru the modes to see what max temps and rpms that were attained on your machine. I did this once and cringed! Getting rid of exaust can also lowers weight and temps. I bought an SLP can but consensus on here is the MRBP. Most venting will help to keep the clutch cool prolonging belt life.

SnowBaller

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Grand Forks, ND
My father and I both have the 2006 755. Like others have said it is a great sled. Make sure you have all factory updates. There are a lot of extras that can be done to these sleds. Pretty much any thing that can be done for the 900(866) can be done with the 700(755).

FYI, both of our sleds have over 5000 miles without any major problems with the engine, crank, or the like. All without any major mods.

K
Oct 7, 2008
Sandy, UT
2000 miles on mine

Up till now only rapair needed was a TPS. As of last week it started losing throttle power and fowling only one plug. My local shop has no idea( they rplace fuel pump). I posted this problem a few threads down with more detail so if anyone knows whats up please comment . It has been a good sled up until now.

Premium Features