• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IWA Watercross race in Billings, MT August 7-9

M
Jan 4, 2008
I am starting this post to help promote the IWA Watercross event "Thunder on the Water" that is going to be taking place in Billings, MT on August 7-9.

My name is Mike Benoy and I am the President of the International Watercross Association (IWA) and we are the sanctioning body of the event. We sanction races that have been primarily in the Mid-Western USA and are very excited to get this opportunity to expand into the Western market.

For this first time event, we are going to be running our Pro Open Oval class which will include around 20 of the top Watercross oval racers in the USA. The IWA Staff along with the racers and crews are going to focus the rest of our time during the 3-day event to help any newcomers to the sport of Snowmobile Watercross get acclaimated to this new type of riding and help get the machines set up so that the riders have a better chance at succesfully making a trip out on the water.

If you have ever wanted to give this a try, this will be a great opportunity for you to do it. At this venue, there will be plenty of support from experienced riders and tuners and more importantly, a safe, controlled environment in which to do it. We also have a retieval boat that will get your sled from the bottom of the lake for you (not something you want to do the hard way!)

Here is a little info on "Getting Started"

So you're tired of your sled gathering dust all summer long. Your better half keeps catching you during late night sound effect races in the shop. Why not take that sled out and hit the lakes....ahem, that's right, your sled on the water. It's called IWA Watercross, and it isn't as hard as you think. Then again, it does take some practice.
It's actually very easy to transform your sled, and prepare it for the water. Most of the gear, like a Snell 2000 or better helmet, tether cord, MX style pants/jersey, you probably already have. The only additional items required are a 20'+ length of 1/2" rope, a buoy, and a life jacket that has a 100 MPH strength test rating.
A couple of quick sled mods, are to silicone the gaps in the belly pan, bulkhead, and tunnel. Additionally, switching over to pre-mix, and removing your oil injection tank, is simple, and keeps things lighter, and environmentally friendly. This is the simple start, keep reading for some additional easy mods.
Though it might seem unnatural, the snowmobile, and water are a great match. Basically running on the theory of a hypersonic paddle boat, sleds can really haul on the water. When you factor in the speed of those 1.25" lugs on a track, there's a definite potential for propulsion. Of course, there will be a need for you to put your sled on a diet.
Lightening up your machine is probably one of the single most important steps in getting it ready for IWA Watercross. Ixnay that seat, along with it's matching jumbo fuel tank. The stand-up posture required to maneuver the sled, often has people installing a variety of custom foot pegs. The short duration of the races also let's racers get by with only a 1.5 gallon tanks.
Just the seat and tank alone, drastically increase your power to weight ratio. We've only just begun, and you're already getting closer to hydroplane status. Dropping down from the top of the tunnel to the underside, you'll need to dive into some front shock mods. The attitude of the IWA Watercross sled is key to getting yourself up on plane (on top of the water). To achieve this, your center shock spring pre-load needs to be rock hard. This stance keeps the track well below the tunnel at all times, and keeps the skis up. This exposes the greatest amount of track surface area to the water, and gives you greater propulsion. Oh, and don't worry about the rock hard suspension, the water is your suspension now.
Heading aft of your track, you'll need to address the snow-flap's travel. This can really help to control your buoyancy. Straight-line drag racers will free up the flap to minimize its drag, while the oval racers opt to limit its travel. Limiting the flaps travel helps the flap behave much like an external trim tab on a boat. This added leverage helps in a variety of ways, but mainly coming out of the corners, it gets the machine back up on top of the water.
Now that we've covered getting your power to the water, we'll migrate to the front of the machine on how to control it. A narrow, shortened travel front suspension is the ticket here. Unlike on the snow, your skis don't do you much good on the water. Mainly, their outrigger positioning is utilized when a IWA Watercross machine is going straight and level. Skimming across the water, they provide additional lateral stability....but in the corners, it's an entirely different story. Speaking with experienced oval racers, there's a fine line when cornering on the water. The majority of your steering is achieved in body positioning. The skis, and the possibility of hooking one, are actually more in the way than anything.
Mastering your body English is utilized to even a greater extent on the water, than the snow. Racer progression normally starts out in the drag racing forum. There, people become accustomed to the shore launches, transitioning to the water, and mastering straight line control. Once they're ready to move on, the challenge of turning can be tackled. Described as a cross between the standup Jet Ski, and slalom water skiing, turning a sled on water is almost an artistic balance. Logging handlebar time here is key. There is no replacement for experience here.
Keeping you safe, while your build your water time, you'll need a couple of added accessories. The first, and most important, is a life preserver which is rated for 100 mph. This is sure to keep you floating, even if your machine doesn't. Once they get you out of the water, the on-site safety crew will turn its attention towards your machine. To aid in retrieving it, you are required to have that earlier mentioned rope of at least 1/2" diameter, and at least 20-30 feet long. Attached to the end of the rope should be a floatable buoy. Most racers simply tie a marine rated throwable seat cushion to the rope, once the decision to bail has been reached, they rip the rope/cushion free, and let go.
After suffering an inevitable sinking, there is obviously some general maintenance to perform. Yanking the sparkplugs and pumping out the water, checking carbs, drying clutches, etc. For those who are ecologically concerned about sinking sleds in lakes, they should know a few facts. Biodegradable lubes are used, and for the most part, when a sled goes down, it's all about the water rushing in, and not pollutants rushing out. These racers even are conscientious enough to thoroughly inspect their machines to prevent the spread of Milfoil weed. After all, they want the lakes to stay healthy, so they can race another day.
Though the sport of IWA Watercross is as competitive as any other form of racing, one thing is for sure, the racers are one big helpful family. It's a common occurrence to see competitors swarm around a racer having mechanical woes. The teamwork is high, just like the fierce competitive spirit. There is also a never ending will to help fellow sledders setup and get started in the sport. You can easily get your sled "converted" in an afternoon of wrenching.
Watching IWA Watercross is a hoot, and racing it is a RUSH!
Though this is just a quick overview, you can learn much more by checking out a IWA Watercross event in person. To find a race near your, hit the IWA website (www.iwausa.org). Whether racing, or just spectating, you'll never be the same after a IWA Watercross event.
Contact us and we can get you in touch with someone who will assist you in your adventure.

I am going to forward a link of this thread to several of the IWA racers so they can check it out and help answer questions. If you would like more information on this event go to www.thunderonthewater.com. If you want to learn more about the IWA go to www.iwausa.org. All of my contact information can be found on the IWA website if you need any other information.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by mbenoy119; Today at 10:59 AM.

U

untouchable

Nov 27, 2007
Neihart, Montana
Two thumbs up

I went down to this event last weekend and was blown away! The riding talent was top notch, and the support they gave to local amature riders was great. The IWA really knows how to throw a big event like this together, congrats! I hope it comes around again next summer...

downsized_P8081246.jpg

downsized_P8081247.jpg

P
Sep 14, 2008
It was truly awsome. Well run event. I won the Big air bash tickets there and am not going to be able to use them so if some body wants them call me or pm and I will give you my #.

R
Jun 10, 2008
BFE
I had a great experience racing for the first time! (even though I sank twice) Looking forward to next years race. Thanks Mike and all the racers that helped us beginners out.

L
Aug 23, 2009
this was a great event i would like to give a special thanks to the promoters they did a great job with the event!

The local drivers did a great job. does anyone know if the guy who was on the skidoo and crashed with the helmet camera has uploaded the video of his crash??

Premium Features