• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

It Has Begun, CR500 Build, WIP part 1

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
CR500AFC SX120TSS Build, WIP part 1 from scratch

I have my work cut out for me. 1988 cr500. These pics give you an idea of what I have to work with. Figure I'm a bit obsessed with getting a snow bike set up, I might as well post up my progress.

Build list:
'16 SX with TSS, red paint, gas can add on white.

Must Haves Planned initially:

Engine Rebuild:
Bore
Piston
Crank and Rod
Magnesium inner case cover rotted out, Aluminum replacement.
Hinson billet clutch basket, new friction plates
Aluminum Chassis conversion
New pipe since it needs to be routed inside the frame and lower FMF Fatty and silencer
Radiator modifications
Plastic skid of some type that I can run under frame and angled up under pipe, or cover motor and pipe etc.
New intake set up, won't bother with the air box conversion for summer, intend to make something that will work for both seasons and the TSS.
Lose 25 lbs

Wants:
Tunnel Cooler (I know how hot a worked 500 gets)
Hand guards
Bar risers
Stator
Headlights
Grip warmers
Smart carb
Turbo...
Lose 40 lbs

Progress:

Currently motor is in the process of being rebuilt, all parts are sent out to LA sleeve that need to be, and ordering a majority of parts through them. Will get my swing arm bushings out shortly and have them machined to 17mm ID. Also need to order cr125 swing arm bushings, so when I get the motor put back together I can drop it in the frame and start modifying. Intend to take it to some guys in town that will do the welding, see if I can do some of the work in their shop like I have before and make a build plan from there. Intend to do a fair amount of the fabricating of parts there, cut the Y, modify and prep it, move it up, and then just weld in two solid pieces below. Headstay will be somewhat basic. Then radiator mods from there, and pipe mounts etc. No kits for my bike for this year, otherwise I wouldn't bother them and do the prep work myself then bring it in for welding. Still might purchase some of the parts, but they do a good job fabricating, just depends on how busy they currently are. That's the plan for now.

photo1.jpgphoto2.jpgphoto3.jpgphoto4.jpgphoto5.jpgphoto6.jpg

Last edited:
S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Yeah, it is a good thing I am starting now. Took the inner side cover off, everything looks good from inside, but will replace it since it is corroded so badly, looks like a drop or two of antifreeze got on the inside, or it just happened from me taking it off, I dunno. Oil looked fine. Need to replace the crank and rod, signs of wear, and when I bent it side to side the rod did hit the crank.
If I do the aluminum frame conversion, I will have to use some local guys, they have helped me in the past for cheap, and even let me use their equipment to build some things.

M
Jan 14, 2004
There are tons of frames and forks on Ebay, that's where I bought my WPs then just rebuilt them. If you are going to do a snow only AF just buying a frame and front end then getting all the other bits which is not that much would be your cheapest option. There is the odd roller on there as well.

M5

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
There are tons of frames and forks on Ebay, that's where I bought my WPs then just rebuilt them. If you are going to do a snow only AF just buying a frame and front end then getting all the other bits which is not that much would be your cheapest option. There is the odd roller on there as well.

M5
Yeah for sure, I thought about doing that, but I think the steely would be fine for snow, and the AF conversion mainly so I can make it an awesome dirt bike while I am at it. But I could go that route, and add on the other parts as I go. I just lost my bid on some forks by 5 bucks, at the last second I bumped my bid up and it matched his max bid, didn't have time to submit it for 5 more before it ended. Forks, triples, and a bar. Gives me more time to keep searching. My cousin has a 2000 cr250 roller, he did a 250 conversion. I could get it cheap, but I'm leaning towards something newer at this point, or I could use it and pick up newer forks.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Well the conclusion I came to was that for me the 500 motor was something I'd never ride on wheels with the exception of the dunes so the whole process of the AF conversion wasn't worth it for me as much as I wanted to do one.

M5

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Well the conclusion I came to was that for me the 500 motor was something I'd never ride on wheels with the exception of the dunes so the whole process of the AF conversion wasn't worth it for me as much as I wanted to do one.

M5

Yeah makes sense, I don't think the AF conversion would benefit that much in the snow but I know nothing there, on the dunes only if you are jumping. Hill climbing, maybe. I enjoy quite a bit of hill climbing but the rest of the desert riding I do, and the variety of things I think it would be nice, especially considering the suspension on the year I have is garbage.

Couple interesting things on it today I noticed.

IMG_3507.jpg
This obviously isn't stock, Moose Racing Colorado 11/90

IMG_3508.jpg
Oneal Racing "Easy-Clutch"

IMG_3513.jpg
Pretty ridiculous, rim is crumbling apart like this in two places.

IMG_3509.jpg
Ready to split the cases and see what else possibly needs to be done before sending the cylinder off, will order everything I need for the motor at that point. Thinking a bearing kit, gasket kit, crank and rod kit, piston, bore. Then snag a side cover somewhere.
I had the hardest time getting one of the engine mount bolts out. I tried two different kinds of penetrating oil and let it sit a long time, finally went and got a nice breaker bar, came back and barely put any pressure on it and it turned, so thinking the second oil I used had some time to do work.

I don't know if I will bother breaking in the motor on this Chassis, the tire will explode, sprockets are shot, chain is going to go flying or something.

Leaning towards a '16 model timbersled, still working out the details on the aluminum frame. I had a 2012 roller located in great shape, but the same person had a conversion on a 2006 partially converted, but he really wanted way too much for it, nice weld job on it though, I made him an offer, but we haven't been able to work anything out yet.

M
Jan 14, 2004
If you end up deciding on a dedicated snowbike you won't need to replace any of that crap suspension or wheels, save you a bunch of dough. Build the motor, powder coat the frame buy a plastic kit and some other small stuff and you are set. It may not suit all your needs but looking a the pics that's by far the cheapest answer for making that ride into a snowbike.

M5

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
If you end up deciding on a dedicated snowbike you won't need to replace any of that crap suspension or wheels, save you a bunch of dough. Build the motor, powder coat the frame buy a plastic kit and some other small stuff and you are set. It may not suit all your needs but looking a the pics that's by far the cheapest answer for making that ride into a snowbike.

M5

Yeah, easiest as well. Any suggestions for making the fit kit work on the back end? It has a smaller swing arm bolt than the '89+

I've been weighing the pros and cons. Keeping it steel I have the nice 3.5 gal desert tank, likely less vibration, and it is cheap.

Going aluminum conversion and having it an all season bike I could sell my 450, and have a dirt bike that will out perform it.

Other issue is break in on the steel frame, don't think I would want to break it in with the track on, excessive load initially. And I would need a new tire sprockets and chain.

So I dunno yet. Going to split the cases next and have a look at everything, then go from there.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Yeah, easiest as well. Any suggestions for making the fit kit work on the back end? It has a smaller swing arm bolt than the '89+

I've been weighing the pros and cons. Keeping it steel I have the nice 3.5 gal desert tank, likely less vibration, and it is cheap.

Going aluminum conversion and having it an all season bike I could sell my 450, and have a dirt bike that will out perform it.

Other issue is break in on the steel frame, don't think I would want to break it in with the track on, excessive load initially. And I would need a new tire sprockets and chain.

So I dunno yet. Going to split the cases next and have a look at everything, then go from there.

For the fit kit I'd just make your own. Start with 6061 1.25" solid alu rod and turn your own bushings. Turn them over length then cut them down on the lathe to the lengths they need to be in order to align your kit. You can custom bore the centers to whatever. The newer Cr500s are bored 17mm.

Cheap is good.

I hear what you are saying about the break in but on a 2 stroke I wouldn't sweat it too too much just be smart about it when you do it. You won't be the first guy to break in a motor on a snowbike.

M5

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
For the fit kit I'd just make your own. Start with 6061 1.25" solid alu rod and turn your own bushings. Turn them over length then cut them down on the lathe to the lengths they need to be in order to align your kit. You can custom bore the centers to whatever. The newer Cr500s are bored 17mm.

Cheap is good.

I hear what you are saying about the break in but on a 2 stroke I wouldn't sweat it too too much just be smart about it when you do it. You won't be the first guy to break in a motor on a snowbike.

M5

You make it sound simple. Time to order some more tools to do this bottom end. I wonder if I should replace more bearings than just the crank case bearings.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Recent development. The motor on this thing grenaded. Took some effort to close the deal, not the year I wanted and it is a 450, will be tough. So time to get to work on prepping this thing. Hoping to snow check a 2016 sx in red with TSS.

IMG_3523.jpg

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope

I looked into CP prior and all that was available for the 450 was 05-08.
I am planning on looking into if there are other kits available, a new Y and down tubes maybe. I don't intend to fabricate the parts myself, but if I have to on some of them it will be fine, would rather spend a couple hundred to make the process easier, but want a solid and nice finish product. Now that I am dead set on the conversion since I have a roller going to edit first post.

Last edited:
S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
A few updates, need to update my original thread.

Snow checked an SX 120 with TSS in red.

Sent out my crank to be rebuilt today, such a pain to split the cases, mainly the front motor mount would not come apart because the alignment piece was so rusted.

Checked out the clutch closer and decided I need a new basket. Ordering a Hinson and then some friction plates.

Motor is going to be practically new.

Need to get a few more things pulled off the original frame, clean up the new donor bike frame and strip it down as well.

IMG_3551[1].jpgIMG_3548[1].jpg

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Some progress. Cleaned up my donor bike, took the back end off.
Took my motor swing arm bushings out of my 500, big chore there not having a way to press them out. Took them to get them machined to a larger inner diameter to go on the swing arm bolt, but he said it was too hard that he wouldn't be able to machine it, so he fabricated me some new ones. They seem like they will work well. they go on the swing arm bolt a little easier than I expected but I don't think there will be an issue with some grease.
Next I'll order the 54mm and 59mm swing arm bushings, so I can assemble the whole thing on the bike once the motor is put together.
IMG_3555.jpg

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
Progress is slow. Waiting on my cylinder, piston, rebuilt crank, pipe and silencer, clutch, and a few other little things. I have my right side inner case cover, have the proper sized swing arm spacers. Will get a few more seals and parts once I get my shipment of engine and parts.

Lost my first goal of 25 lbs I believe, last I weighed myself I was at 23 lbs lost. Shouldn't be a problem losing the 40 by snow season, but I think I will lose 50 or so so I have some room for the water weight to come back, general guidelines just want to be a bit lighter.

Ridden my 450 around a bit so far this year. If my cr500afc project isn't finished by the time the snow hits my TS kit is going on this bike, or on my steel framed cr500 with the crf450 forks. I really do like my yz450f at times, having a lot of fun on it. But can't wait for this 500 to be up and running, going to be like new once I am finished with it.

S
Feb 15, 2015
CO, western slope
This thing looks huge.
IMG_3690.jpg
I found a few things that need to be replaced. Completely worn down from the oil seals, or debris or something on them. So there goes another 120.
IMG_3664.jpgIMG_3671.jpgIMG_3670.jpg

Otherwise, motor will be complete soon. Need to grind the rivets off the old clutch so I can install the new basket. Then I will install into the aluminum frame.

I lost 31 lbs in a ridiculous 8 weeks time. Stabilized at about 6 lbs over that the past two weeks, and will be steadily losing more weight at a slow pace, while getting some strength back.

Couple more months should have my track. This project has been moving slow because I had to wait for motor then ended up doing trip after trip, and have had no free time. Put a lot of time into this this weekend, glad I was finally able to. Even changed out the chain and sprockets on my 450 and went around the block.

Premium Features