• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park 20/21 Snow Conditions

MNBlizzard

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
Duluth, MN
d2d669abe0a5e1223bebbbf61a7b6323.jpg

66af1cecfba664649f0e350944fa9330.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a great day to be out. Thanks for the pictures! Gives me hope we'll be OK for riding in a week. Was the snow depth ok for offtrail up high?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
We are going back up on Saturday to test another sled.
There was plenty of snow and more coming down all day long
The higher we went the better the snow was

Visibility was 1/8-1/4 mile most of the day with minimal wind

Snow was thin in west Yellowstone and you could still see brown grass coming through.

Didn’t look like any groomers had yet hit any of the major trails, but there were few or no whoops anywhere.

Two tops was utterly untracked. We broke trail from west all the way over the mountain.

Same for black canyon.

The whole complex was just deserted on Thursday and for the most part we had the entire mountain to ourselves.

Another foot or so and I would say we will be golden for all off trail buried surprises. As it is, there had been some bold adventurous riders who had dared fate and left a few deep cuts that could be seen.

But our goal yesterday was to start the breakin process on two new turbos, so all we wanted was a pipe of miles and no broken sleds.

44c1e39c8c5ce42d15f63cbec0f7f52b.jpg

36458ff0c8a65d1bcfb8ee96d0a95c24.jpg

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT

Snow was thin in west Yellowstone and you could still see brown grass coming through.

Didn’t look like any groomers had yet hit any of the major trails, but there were few or no whoops anywhere.

Two tops was utterly untracked. We broke trail from west all the way over the mountain.

Same for black canyon.

The whole complex was just deserted on Thursday and for the most part we had the entire mountain to ourselves.

Another foot or so and I would say we will be golden for all off trail buried surprises. As it is, there had been some bold adventurous riders who had dared fate and left a few deep cuts that could be seen.

But our goal yesterday was to start the breakin process on two new turbos, so all we wanted was a pipe of miles and no broken sleds.

Chris did you pick up a turbo this year?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Chris did you pick up a turbo this year?
No, I did not.
I will be SnowChecking one in Feb though just as soon as they open up the 2022 sleds for ordering.

Those two turbos were probably the most DELIGHTFUL boosted sleds I have ever ridden.

I have had three boosted sleds from 6lbs to 17.5lbs

None were as friendly to ride as those Doos yesterday.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

Same for black canyon.

What parking lot / staging area are you in?

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
In the mid 2000s rode with the nick owner of the one horse motel in west. Rode the gravelies many times with him was a great place trailed out each time only thing is weather changes there rapidly. Sunshine to whiteout in an hour nick new what days would be good over there. He always had an honest snow report also too.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
To be clear Ww, liked your warning it’s too early, shallow to call in the masses, not your misfortune.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Have some friends on their way home... atleast one machine is totaled, not sure of the damage to the others.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
There were NINE of us yesterday.
For whatever reason there was no damage at all.
We spent the day at the bottom of this area and had a total blast.
No carnage
No damage
Just lots of fun playing out in the meadows on a very relaxing day or riding.
2020-12-20_13-01-47.jpg

2020-12-20_13-04-55.jpg

Editing some video right now.
Will try to get posted later today to show what "WE" found

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
In the mid 2000s rode with the nick owner of the one horse motel in west. Rode the gravelies many times with him was a great place trailed out each time only thing is weather changes there rapidly. Sunshine to whiteout in an hour nick new what days would be good over there. He always had an honest snow report also too.
Trying to cross the mesas south of Black Butte in a whiteout is high risk. Another reason not to tempt peeps who just don't know it well enough, and don't know when to get out/down.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Really want to ride BUT sure dont want to total out sled. BTW its 85 F here in Los Angeles !!! I suspect Idaho / Utah area gonna get a little blue sky above freezing temps next couple days until jet stream adjusts from the heat

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
OK
Here is a few seconds of video I shot on my iPhone 12.
Just some "snapshot" video that we did a quick render on this evening to more clearly show you what we found all day yesterday.

Black and Yellow suit on Blue sled is Me.
Black suit with Red helmet in Yellow sled is my older son.

Premium Features