• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Island Park 20/21 Snow Conditions

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
If amenities are your thing stay in West, if you want to be close to the action stay in IP.
I like the Buffalo bar in West, and the Pines in IP, however, with the Covid probably plan on take out if your in West, anyways
Yellowstone adventures is a full service dealership, Brad is good people and they're well stocked.
I've been here over five years and never had bird problems.
We don't have crows, we have Ravens, please don't insult our feathered friends.. lol
Lions Head sucks IMHO, tourist trap, small area, lousy trails in
Two tops another "tourist trap" but it's usually well groomed and has some good holes to play in right after a fresh dump
You'll need trail passes for both states
Hit me up when your here, I'm always looking for someone to help dig me out :D

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
My group rides frequently in the Island Park area, we try and stay close to the Island Park Village area, as that is the area we enjoy discovering, but also keg springs was fun as well as jefferson, just not as familiar with those areas.
We like the park and ride aspect of the area.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Okay, I know this is a little off topic, so for any responses please just PM me to avoid hijacking this thread of getting way off topic.

For those of guys that ride West Yellowstone / Island Park and live close, do any of you guys ride SXS / UTV's in this area come summer ???

I'm looking for more information on summer use in this area plus any information on the Gravelly Range, just north.

We typically head west every summer for SXS trips and were looking at these areas as a possibility so any information is welcome and appreciated!!!

Big thanks !!

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
Okay, I know this is a little off topic, so for any responses please just PM me to avoid hijacking this thread of getting way off topic.

For those of guys that ride West Yellowstone / Island Park and live close, do any of you guys ride SXS / UTV's in this area come summer ???

I'm looking for more information on summer use in this area plus any information on the Gravelly Range, just north.

We typically head west every summer for SXS trips and were looking at these areas as a possibility so any information is welcome and appreciated!!!

Big thanks !!
I have ridden some in that area, just don't know it well enough during the summer. Id would like more of this info as well

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010

Big thanks !!
Also would be curious about this.

wwracer

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2007
Island Park ID
There's a lot of ATV trails but you'll have to use the "summer" map seeing as a lot of the trails you can sled on are for winter use only. Also the USFS seems to have a hard on for the 50" thing, but there;s no shortage of em here in my neck of the woods..

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Trailer to Taylor Fork and unload to trail (sometimes groomed) up to Carrot Basin. Large riding area, multiple basins, explore all day. Know where you are when you get there, since there is wilderness boundaries west, north and east. South towards Beaver Creek is great riding for a small group, but if you're not experienced or can't navigate you can get into serious trouble getting out. You can also get to Carrot/Sage through Cabin Creek, too, but you will run short of fuel and daylight. North of Taylor Fork you can get into Buck Ridge. Both of these areas have significant avy danger on hills during the season, be smart and prepared. Not as hair triggered as Lionshead, but there are some slopes that slide at both every year. Every year. From West you can also get to Teepee Basin jumping off the Cabin Creek trail. Stay out of Black Butte and the Gravelly's...

iplocal

Always looking for new mountain riding partners!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 23, 2015
Island Park, ID & Mt St Helens, WA
How are we looking for new years?
Have a cabin booked around that time, not too impressed with what I am hearing so far..
First time going to West Yellowstone, always a adventure!
Getting the Itch to break in the new 800 axys!
I live in IP in the winter and have cameras at my house. It is definitely not a good year thus far but the snow has picked up as of late with nothing but more in the forecast. We finally hit 40" on the black bear snowtel site which is my personal bar. still not 100% safe to ride off trail but safe enough to poke around. I am sure by xmas we are going to have excellent depth...I am planning on heading that way within the next week. Hopefully it gets a little colder too, its been above freezing in town.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Trailer to Taylor Fork and unload to trail (sometimes groomed) up to Carrot Basin. Large riding area, multiple basins, explore all day. Know where you are when you get there, since there is wilderness boundaries west, north and east. South towards Beaver Creek is great riding for a small group, but if you're not experienced or can't navigate you can get into serious trouble getting out. You can also get to Carrot/Sage through Cabin Creek, too, but you will run short of fuel and daylight. North of Taylor Fork you can get into Buck Ridge. Both of these areas have significant avy danger on hills during the season, be smart and prepared. Not as hair triggered as Lionshead, but there are some slopes that slide at both every year. Every year. From West you can also get to Teepee Basin jumping off the Cabin Creek trail. Stay out of Black Butte and the Gravelly's...

You mentioned stay out of the Gravelly's.....????

ryanjeri

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
ID
I would avoid ponds lodge for fuel, last time we were up they were over a dollar higher than elk creek

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
If you stay in IP Theres a few places to buy gas. Robin's roost, macks inn, elk creek, Ponds and I think there 1 or 2 more. Theres a gas station in last chance also. West yellow stone also has a few stations open.
Thank you
Is there a concern about ethanol additives?

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I haven't been to IP for a couple years and don't remember if there was ethanol free gas available. We usually filled up at Robin's roost or elk creek. Once in a while at ponds but as mentioned in a previous post ponds its usually more expensive. We haven't had any issues with gas from these places and I don't recall having to switch to ethanol mode.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
d2d669abe0a5e1223bebbbf61a7b6323.jpg

80dd283a0437865852edb50f050c4ed6.jpg

66af1cecfba664649f0e350944fa9330.jpg

d0b293e04e48343ae56be7c7838e9dc4.jpg

4ee2b20a7e2dc6b92c45edd26be20aeb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features