• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is overheating caused by small shroud?

H
Nov 6, 2009
I have the small track shroud with the metal hawk logo,
can anyone tell me if that is the cause that it
overheats on the trails, off trail stays cool.... 5 mins on the trails
the light comes on......
!@!@#$@% frustrating
I thought if I made a bigger shroud with a cut out "crazy carpet"
over the track, I could keep some snow on the track to cool the rad..

Need help here....
I appreciate all input..

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
Post a pic of what your shroud looks like. I didn't know there were different sizes/models of snow flaps/shrouds. If yours seems smaller than what you see on other Hawks, then I would guess that is the problem.

I had the light come on several times during the day with the 600, but it would go off by pulling off trail into powder for 15-30 seconds. This did not happen with the 800.

While you shouldn't need to, you might want to consider putting the radiator from an 800 in it as it provides 50% more cooling. Peter at WhiteSurf has a used on for $225.

I think you will find that you will want the 12Gal gas tank also. I previously thought this was an upgrade I would not do, but after riding I think I really want more range, so that running out is not as much on the mind.

H
Nov 6, 2009
This is my shroud

It is half the size of "Predator03's" shroud and he has the same 06 600
and mine has no evidence of being modified or cut....
Dunno if I should change the rad for a 800 or get a bigger shroud!!!!
Thanks Thunderhawk, tell what you think of the shroud

Rear shroud.jpg

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
You need the newer flap that rises higher and has the bungees, will help but not solve overheating in low snow conditions.:(

Someone with a 503 would like that one to keep the snow off their back.:)

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
By the way, looked at your profile pics, both those machines are 2004's, your friends snow flap is the updated version produced at the end of the 05' model year on.

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
I would say the flap/shroud is the problem. Like you said it's half the size of Predatorr03's or mine, which curves down almost touching the ground. It looks like your cooling snow would go right out the back instead of carried up the tunnel. When you're off trail in powder there's just so much snow it can't help but carry it up the tunnel, but on the trail it's not happening.

As Tony said, someone with a 503 might want that and you get the proper one. I may be interested myself. I didn't get snow on my back with my 503, but when I looked behind, I see "white out" conditions thrown at the person behind me. This does not happen with my 600 or 800.

H
Nov 6, 2009
Looking for a full size shroud

Good Idea guys,
I am officially asking anyone who wants to trade or sell their shroud (full size) I really need it.... If you don't need it, help out a fellow hawker...
Thunderhawk is right ....it is a 04 i did a typo so is pred03's

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Another way to reduce operating temperature is to downsize the PTO side inlet port of the radiator to around 5/8". Wish I measured mine on my '08 before selling it. Sigouin2006 or any other '08 800 guy would be able to tell us what that measurment is.

That's a trick they've discovered and threw on the '08 machines, which allow the coolant speed to decrease and stay in the cooler for a longer period of time. Also stays in the motor for a longer period of time but it works apparently.

Just a simple alu sleeve will do the job, I don't know if you're a machinist Hellspawn, quite an easy job for any machinist out there...

You MUST get the new style Snow flap. Could sell you mine but I ripped off the back part you can attach & detach so it would be useless to you !!!

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
install ice scratchers

you can get a set of ice scratchers off my site for 35.00. If you ride trail at all it will help more than you can imagine. I don't think you will need a new shroud with them.

I installed them on mine and plan to run without a shroud completely if works good enough, should know this weekend.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
hellspawn! ill take your flap for my 503. i would have traded you mine but its somewhere out on the trail...lost it last year! and it was the newer 600 snowcatcher!!! let me know what you want for it....

H
Nov 6, 2009
No problem Buffalohawk, You can have mine,
waiting to find out what J&L has to offer.
Lets see some pics of the Snow Scrathers J&L !!!!!
I am interested....
Especially if he can run without a shroud

off road rider

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
Kent Wa
Interested in hearing what you think about the ice scratchers.. I cant see them doing much for cooling, they are designed to get some lube to the hyfaxes during icy cond.. I ran them on my 2moto and sleds.. broke several sets of the 1/4" size.. I think Les has the stronger ones that are more like 5/16 dia...

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
ice scratchers

I had mine on on my nov. trip. Please understand that i don't ride alot of trail but you all know it only takes a little distance with no snow flow and you have a boiling hawk. My snowflap is made to fold completely open and that is how I ran it. Never saw temps over the 120s.

I have the ZX2 suspension so the scratchers are mounted way forward on the rails with no problems. The expert suspension with its swingarm design makes it hard to mount them far forward to get the full effect. Josh mounted his just behind the swingarm and has about a foot or more still behind the tip of the scratcher to catch the ice chuncks thrown up.

I have removed my flap completely for my trip this weekend and will make a point of running down the little trail to get some more results for you all. I will also get some pics of mine and joshes so you can see what it looks like.

Thanks Les

B
Nov 28, 2007
Ice scratchers are steel rods that attach to your suspension. They are spring loaded so they can be pushed out of the way onto a clip or be pushed onto the snow. The tips are bent over so as you ride on packed snow or ice , they scrape. Snow flies like sparks, and the pieces of snow , ( or sparks ) fall onto the track and in return the track throws the snow into your tunnel or radiator for cooling. I dont know how your terrain is , but off the trail I would just WOT it and throw a little in theere. Scratchers are a pain because you will forget there down and you'll go off thru the trees and they can break off. With reverse, big ^&**&^$# if you forget to put them up. I dont have great snow all the time, but I dont ride on ice. I'd say get the new flap, and use the bungees.

N
Nov 27, 2007
Medford, MN
600 updates

hellspawn did you buy this new?
if so you need alot of updates.
I see you don't have a trail adapter yet, a must have for flatlanders.
updated rings, airbox, reeds, rear suspenion brackets just to name a few

I'm still in the process of updating my 600 after 3 years

T

TLKDPROD

Jan 25, 2008
Salmon Arm, BC
Also put "Engine Ice" coolant in instead of Standard car coolant. It will help reduce overheating a lot. Available through Parts Canada. Around 23$ per 1.89L .

With the new updated rear snow-flap, ice scratchers, reducing sleeve and Engine Ice coolant, there is no way you'll overheat again in a trail that's got snow on...

That gives you an idea how much work needs to be done from stock form to "how it should have been delivered" form. About the same for clutching, motor, belt drive system, suspension...

Don't get me wrong here; one sure thing is a stock Snow-Hawk goes, I can't say it ain't going. It does go... but not as it should according to me.

Premium Features