• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Interesting E-Tec info.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Someone might find this interesting. I have a 13 XM and a 13 Freeride 137. (Low altitude calibration from factory on the 137.) Dealer told me he put threaded pins in it for my altitude, he mentioned I may need a spring, but to try it. 5000-8500 feet. This sled has been a pain in the arse since day one, on one trip I thought it fouled plugs it was backfiring so bad and wanting to die. Got it to the dealer, he pulled three different codes, egt sensor ground, exhaust valve sticking or something, and one more. It was still in break in and stopped doing it after I shut it off, they couldn't replicate, so we decided to finish break-in and see what happened. Still did weird stuff, took it back, they had to replace the EGT harness. Still doing odd things, I have around 800 miles on it now. It has the "Etec bog" that both my sleds have had since day one, not so much a bog but a flat spot at 1/4 throttle, where if you hold it there, it will go, but take a couple seconds to kick in and rip. My sleds do it, the demos I rode do it, a bud's does it, my brother who rides ONCE a year commented on it, my bud who rented a sled in Utah did it. Anyway, I tried a black/purple spring in the secondary after killing my first belt at 650 miles on the Freeride, mostly river and lake/trail running, very little climbing, and pretty easy on it. Wasn't happy with the backshift or the 650 miles to a belt, so did the spring. BIG mistake, clutches so hot they boiled snow, killed a belt in 50 miles, spent the next 50 trimming cords so as to get home and not have to ruin another one doing it. Once I got to level trail, I installed new belt, cruised back at 40mph, 1/4 throttle or less, little blurps to move the sheaves around a bit. When I put the new belt on, you could see the mess on the sheaves, dark with rubber. (Not pure rubber, just discolored from the melting belt going around.) When I got back I put the stock spring in and noticed that the little 10 mile belt break-in cleaned the sheaves nicely, as far up as they shifted. Seems that too much spring in the secondary was causing the clutches to fight each other, I must have been dragging that belt through the secondary and causing massive slippage. I did like the backshift, but obviously I made a mistake. Another complaint, I am going through almost 3/4 tank of oil to 8.5 gallons of gas. SO anyway, that was the last of three days riding that sled, the next two days I rode my Summit. Wow. The low end flat spot on that one is still there, mostly noticeable on trails. But runs a ton better than the Freeride.
So I dropped the Freeride off at the dealer again (not the dealer that I bought it from that messed with the weights), and they took ANOTHER look at it. They found that my exhaust valve solenoid was causing the valves to get confused and open/shut at certain rpms, and to move slowly. (They ar eprobalby sticky with all the oil I have burned, well over 6 gallons of oil in 1300 miles on two sleds. They also said the original dealer put 417 weights in it, and that 413 should have been stock and Skidoo calls for 441 at my altitude. They are changing the clutching to see if the odd clutching is causing the solenoid to get confused.
ANYWAY. I have posted this many times before, we should not have to deal with this strange flat spot on the bottom. My Freeride (though obviously has other issues) is scary to ride, whenever I go to do a jump or drop, I hold it wide open first to make sure it is going to not backfire/cut out on me and kill me.
I talked with someone who owns a 13 XM, and rode a 14 models, he says the throttle response is TOTALLY different on the 14, super snappy. They obviously changed the ECU mapping. SO why are all of us 13 owners stuck with this flat bottom end? Answer is because Skidoo is not going to voluntarily offer a warranty remap that costs them money. I personally have had the dealer call them several times, I am going to start hassling BRP until I get a Summit that runs right!
Rant over, I rode those things easy for 600 miles thinking they would run right after break-in, then when I realized that wasn't the case, I let them sit for a long time, they are not even that fun to ride when they won't run right.
Chris

H
Feb 7, 2008
Anchorage
417, 413, 441 are all ramp profile numbers. Your weights should be numbers somewhere in the teens up to about 24/25 grams.

I have not felt the bog you are describing BUT, when I get home and if I get out again I will deffinately try to find it by doing what you described. (my clutching is bone stock... 0-3500 ft.)

Last year my friend was complaining about a bog that would throw him over the bars almost and it ended up being a coil issue of some sort. The dealer replaced coil/coils and it went away.

Like I said I'm going to pay more attention and see if I can feel it.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, this is how we solve things.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
My '12 and '13 have run flawlessly, the ONLY time I have been able to induce the infamous hesitation that I believe you are referring to is when I am messing with clutching and it is not loading the engine hard enough in the low-midrange.
It sounds like you have had some other issues that need to be addressed, but proper clutching is HUGE on the etecs...there are some ramp profiles I would LIKE to run because I like the feel, but the engine management disagrees and kicks in that rate of RPM hesitation every time.
I have also seen this with some aftermarket pipes/silencers but goes away when returned to stock...not all silencers do this.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
417, 413, 441 are all ramp profile numbers. Your weights should be numbers somewhere in the teens up to about 24/25 grams.

I have not felt the bog you are describing BUT, when I get home and if I get out again I will deffinately try to find it by doing what you described. (my clutching is bone stock... 0-3500 ft.)

Last year my friend was complaining about a bog that would throw him over the bars almost and it ended up being a coil issue of some sort. The dealer replaced coil/coils and it went away.

Like I said I'm going to pay more attention and see if I can feel it.
Thanks for keeping us in the loop, this is how we solve things.

I'm sorry, I meant ramps, I know the 413/417/441 are rampa snd not weights, was tired and I deal with all three brands so mis-wrote, lol.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My '12 and '13 have run flawlessly, the ONLY time I have been able to induce the infamous hesitation that I believe you are referring to is when I am messing with clutching and it is not loading the engine hard enough in the low-midrange.
It sounds like you have had some other issues that need to be addressed, but proper clutching is HUGE on the etecs...there are some ramp profiles I would LIKE to run because I like the feel, but the engine management disagrees and kicks in that rate of RPM hesitation every time.
I have also seen this with some aftermarket pipes/silencers but goes away when returned to stock...not all silencers do this.

Makes sense, which is why they are messing with the clutching on my Freeride. The Summit isn't all that bad now, just certain situations. In the powder/off trail, never notice. On trail, just feels off.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Very true. I was impressed with how it pulled last two rides, but that was after three days of riding a backfiring, puking Freeride, lol.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Appreciate the info. My two XMs have run flawlessly this season. Gas and oil, more gas and oil. Still on the original belt. About 700 miles on each. Nothing but good things to say about them. Sorry for your troubles. I hate "mystery" problems. Bogs, misses, random backfire, poor throttle response, bad gas or oil mileage are really hard to solve and never show up at the dealer. I ride with a lot of ETECs and I haven't heard, seen or had a buddy complain about a bog. One of the best things i like about the XM is the perfectly linear throttle response and good power. I am going to do big bores on both next year and will probably mess them up.:face-icon-small-ton

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
That is so odd. 4 I know of from my dealer do it, one from Utah did it, plus my Freeride from Wyoming. What altitude are you at, or is your dealer set up for? I bet there are different maps for different altitude deliveries.
I think I posted it, but dealer found my exhaust valve solenoid going nuts on the Freeride, gettingconfused and moving slowly. They have told me in the past that the valves are so tight on these that they stick until broken in well. Honestly, my Summit now runs better at 500 miles than it did at 350 after break-in.
How much oil you using? 7 gallons oil in 1300 miles is a little nuts. (Tank was full when I bought it, I got a gallon of oil with one of them, have purchased two cases of three, have most of one gallon left.) 9mpg average is what my meter is telling me. (Granted, 600 of those miles were breakin, but still.).....1300/9 is 144 gallons fuel to 6.5 gallons of oil. 22:1 is twice what it should be, especially with all of Skidoo's claims on oil consumption and running full synthetic.
Heh, no wonder valves are sticking with that kind of mix!

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
The majority of aftermarket silencers and/or pipes will induce a hiccup on the etecs, especially the '13's for some reason. If everything is stock and the clutching is loading the engine properly at low-mid (stock clutching with proper pin weight....nothing fancy), it should not have any hesitations or bogs....at least nothing consistant, there is always the odd occurance once in a while but if it is often then something is not right (IMO).

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
During break in I was using half to a little less than half a tank to 7-8 gallons of gas. After break in my oil consumption it pretty low. If I fill right to the bottom of the neck it will use right to above the 3/4 full mark for 5-7 gallons of gas.

Premium Features