• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation of the VanAmburg Boondock Bumper Kit

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I had done one of these last year on my Dragon and absolutely loved it. It is amazing how much flex the stock running boards/bars have, even for a girl! lol This year I got to spend time in the VE shop and work with them to install the kit, SO fun!! It took us about 4.5 hours to get it installed, went unbelievably smooth. Kind of hard to cut up a sled that has almost no miles on it, but it's going to be OH SO worth it!

Me at the shop, I am SO happy I get to experience things like this!! THANKS MIKE AND LIZ!!!
happygirl.jpg

The start, what she looked like before.

beginning.jpg

Remove rear bumper and tail light assembly
removesnowflapandbrake.jpg

Remove the screw so you can get to the 2 bolts up front that hold on the steel bars.
IMG_6678.jpg

Remove the steel bars
cutline.jpg

Drop rear suspension, both front and back bolts.
IMG_6681.jpg

IMG_6683.jpg

Remove stock rear drop bracket. But before you do measure center to center so you know where to drill your hole on the kit!
IMG_6681.jpg

Pull the track up through the front so it isn’t in your way.
In the way:
trackintheway.jpg

Out of the way:
trackoutofway.jpg

Polaris rivets are tough. Took a new meaty drill bit to bust the head off, then using a punch while holding a block just off to the side of the hole, punch the rivet through.
removalofrivets2.jpg

Draw a line 1 1/4” from the tunnel using a straight edge.
cutline.jpg

We used a “Nibbler” to cut the sides (the little kick out part) off of the tunnel. The VE kit fits flush against the rivets for the front bolt of the rear suspension, so measure from the front of the kit to where the “drop bracket” starts and this is where your cut ends on the tunnel.
lininguptunnelpiece.jpg

Make sure to measure then drill a “stop hole” on the tunnel/running board to prevent any cracks. See 4 pics down.

IMG_6687.jpg

nibblerswork.jpg

Then cut the rest of the running board off with a wheel.
IMG_6694.jpg

Make sure to drill a stop hole at the front of the running board as well. This part gets cut flush with the plastic underneath.
IMG_6708.jpg

IMG_6710.jpg

Once cut you will need to flatten all of the edges so that the new running board insert can sit flush.
IMG_6695.jpg

Clipped off the corners and filed down all edges.
nipsharpedges.jpg

We then installed the tunnel portion of the graphics kit.

Cleaned it up first
cleantunnel.jpg

graphicinstall.jpg

Side one done
sideonedone.jpg

We slid the kit on to start drilling holes for installation.

IMG_6700.jpg

Gleccos rule!
glecco.jpg

Started drilling from the back, got a few gleccos in place and then finished drilling the holes. Went back with a larger drill bit and deburred the holes.

drillholesfortunnelplacement.jpg

cleanupholes.jpg

Then started with rivets.
IMG_6715.jpg

Once the tunnel portion was installed we inserted the running board insert and the new bars and glecco’d them together to align and then drill the holes into the tunnel.
glecco2.jpg

This is where we found that the front footwell had to be trimmed a bit more to allow the bar to fit flush in the front.
IMG_6713.jpg

Rivet the running board insert to the tunnel portion and then the bar to the insert.

underrside.jpg

Now she is done! (except new LED brake light to be ordered but below is a picture of one) Time to install the suspension using our center to center measurements taken before we removed the rear bracket.

centertocenter.jpg

LCDBrakelight.jpg

All back together.
installed.jpg

Almost ready to go, just need to finish the front bumper!
doneloaded.jpg

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I just want to know how you work on a 2012 sled in 2003. Ha Ha

Mike and and the crew do nice work with a quality product.

Premium Features