• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Installation and Review: Mountain Performance Inc, Stage 1 & 2 Supercharger

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J

judger101

Sep 2, 2008
Washburn, ND
i have an mcx low boost turbo kit and I REALLY noticed this boost chatter. I put in a thistle lighter spring and I know that I can feel a difference, plus yes it sounds better. I am not even close to an expert on turbos or superchargers, but I cant imagine that that type of chatter noise is "normal", after seeing the difference after I made a change to my spring.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
The supercharger also has a built in blow off valve inside. That sound you heard is completely normal. The 2 examples in these videos both have the filter sticking up through the hood. This makes the internal BOV chatter more prevalent. We also have had a new design BOV for the last 1 1/2 years that gives you that rush sound that everyone wants to hear. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Years ago the Apex also didn't have a BOV in the kit standard. But has been standard for the last 6 years.

100% BS! There is no "built in" BOV in the blower. And the sound heard in the video is compressor surge and it will damage the blower.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
We send the sheet out that I have attached to this post with every one of our fuel controls...

It is printed on a bright yellow sheet, and it is wrapped around the OUTSIDE of the controller instructions...

The sound is not "normal", and we take it VERY seriously.

Attachments

• Chuckle Writeup.pdf
    55.1 KB · Views: 31

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The supercharger also has a built in blow off valve inside. That sound you heard is completely normal. The 2 examples in these videos both have the filter sticking up through the hood. This makes the internal BOV chatter more prevalent. We also have had a new design BOV for the last 1 1/2 years that gives you that rush sound that everyone wants to hear. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. Years ago the Apex also didn't have a BOV in the kit standard. But has been standard for the last 6 years.

Ok Matt, your going to have to educate me a bit on this one. How in the heck does the supercharger have an INTERNAL blowoff valve and where is it?? I handled that unit pretty extensively during the install and I sure as heck never saw a BOV on it??

As for the Apex. Aren't there stories of the early super chargers on the Apex blowing the manifolds off because they had no BOV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2 pro.

A.Granath

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Sundsvall - Sweden
Is the standard MPI BOV that comes with the kits constructed to bypass air from the charger when pressure after throttle bodys are at negative reading?

How can i check this? i got the feeling that it does not do that...

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Mr G. It's more of a "differential" actuation. When charge pressure is greater than the pressure down stream of the throttle plates, AND overcomes the internal spring pressure of the bypass valve, it should open.

Generally, the springs are much too stiff - intentionally. The valves are of an inferior design and tend to leak boost without a very firm spring. Cold temperatures exacerbate the problem, as the diaphragm stiffens, and slows actuation even further.

Try backing your preload out as far as possible, ride, note any differences. Remove the spring entirely, ride, note differences.

None of these tests will "fix" a valve, but may help you understand how they work.

Sent from Moto's iPhad

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
Our valve utilizes a billet piston with o-rings, rather than a diaphragm. It also one sensing port, rather than 2.

Sent from Moto's iPharce 5
PsychoSled.com - Got snow?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So, apparently there have been some changed to MPI's BOV..

It seems that I have the "older" 2 port style that they no longer produce.
About a year ago they changed their BOV to a single port, they are made from 100% billet and made in-house now. And a little bird said they are supplying several other "Powersports Manufacturers" with the BOV under private label.

So I am going to try and talk MPI out of one of the new ones to do a "Compare and Contrast" against the old one.

Might be this is something those of us running MPI Turbos or Superchargers should all be considering as an update??

Monster Max

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I had the first if the new batch of valves. It has that constant flutter that moto was talking about.

image.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just ordered Moto's "Super Secret Squirrel" clutch kit.

Moto's "Bridge" controller solved a WORLD OF PROBLEMS with my fuel controller, so I am more than a little optimistic that his clutch solution will work every bit as well!!

Clutch Kit has arrived.
Will start a new thread on the install.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Matt from MPI was kind enough to send me their 2nd generation BOV.
Finally got it installed this evening.!

picture.php

picture.php

Premium Features