• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Idler wheels on timbersled skid

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
I'm looking to add some idler wheels to my TS skid. I'm sick of replacing my hyfax every 500 miles. What ones are people using?

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
idler wheels are not your problem. You should not be replacing hyfaxes every 500 miles unless your strictly trail riding with no ice scratchers.
Are you using ice scratchers and what hyfaxes do you use.

irondave86

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
N.W. Washington
Factory Polaris hyfax. I changed them twice last year. (1200 miles of mountain riding) and I changed them once during the local grass drags and the new ones are already toast. I run my track pretty loose during the season and I do have ice scratchers mounted as far forward on the skid as possible. What could be causing them to wear so fast?

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I've had really good luck with Hyperfax. They have a teflon insert and wear like iron. I had 3 seasons on the last set with no idler wheels, just scratchers and they looked almost new when I sold the sled.

When using hyperfax you have to either run a fully clipped track or install wear buttons on the unclipped windows.

For the grass drags you'll want to run wheels though. What I did for the grass drags, is plane down an old set of hyfax and run wheels to reduce the rolling resistance. Grass drags will chew through a set of hyfax pretty fast!

Depending on the class rules, some guys use to remove the hyfax completely for grass dragging. It can be a little hard on the rails though!

Last edited:
P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
Factory Polaris hyfax. I changed them twice last year. (1200 miles of mountain riding) and I changed them once during the local grass drags and the new ones are already toast. I run my track pretty loose during the season and I do have ice scratchers mounted as far forward on the skid as possible. What could be causing them to wear so fast?[/QUOTE

I have hyfaxes from ice age on my turbo nytro. They started their life on my 174 Apex, then I swapped the skid into my nytro. I have had them for almost 5 years with "alot" miles and they are still going strong.

Hyfax wear can occur for a few reasons, some of which we already discussed. However, I have also seen uneven wear on tweaked suspensions. In other words your suspension and/or rails may bent, but not to where you can obviously see it. I had that problem on another sled and did not diagnose it until I pulled the skid out and analyzed it.
I addition, check your tunnel for straightness as that will cause uneven wear also.

Premium Features