• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IceAge rails... let down

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I ended up butting up against the rear bumpers to try to fill that void of no support. I’m within the region of where I bent my stock rail.
Your going to destroy that shock and shock rod……….

You can’t put anything there.

The shock rod almost touches the track when you bottom out.

The reason your rails bent is because first they spread at the front track arm mounting point.

Putting the x brace where i did prevents the spread of the rails.

Last edited:

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Seems like I've regularly had to grind or drill a bit on all ice age rails I've bought. But who gives a shlt, they're shaped right, better than stock, look sweet anodized, and are willing to work with you to come up some projects.

I just move things to where they need to be (like front bumpers). But that's just me. I can't picture ever not buying stuff from them when I need rails.

Considering some of the misaligned and sloppy tolerance stock stuff I've paid way more money for in the past, these are not big problems.
Agreed.

The funny part is……

This entire old thread is a moot point.

There’s only one company that even cares enough about snowmobiles to make aftermarket rails for them.

There’s exactly zero other options.

Take it or leave it.

Last edited:

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
Your going to destroy that shock and shock rod……….

You can’t put anything there.

The shock rod almost touches the track when you bottom out.

The reason your rails bent is because first they spread at the front track arm mounting point.

Putting the x brace where i did prevents the spread of the rails.
Do you have a better photo you can share where you placed the brace?

Hard to tell but it looks like the rear of the x-brace is directly under the shock mount?

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Full disclosure--- I am an IceAge Dealer. Always had great experiences over the years with Mike, Nick and Ben.

I've been using their rails since 2010. I've ordered and installed countless sets of the rails on personal and customer sleds.

Nothing can hold up to ALL of the gaps, poor landings, hits, overweight riders, poor suspension settings that we, as snowmobilers, subject our rails to.

The standard Ice Age rails are strong, the Bombers are even stronger.

Rail installation can found in the Polaris Service Manual.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
Do you have a better photo you can share where you placed the brace?

Hard to tell but it looks like the rear of the x-brace is directly under the shock mount?
My X brace is under the front track arm. It really only fits in one spot.

Remove the rear shock and bottom out the suspension to see how far forward the x brace needs to be.

The pivot arm swings forward into the space given by the X

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
First set of Ice Age rails that showed up with my Kmod skid had flaking of the anodizing at the bend up front. Kmod exchanged them. Second set had 1/4" difference in the curve at the front of the rails when they were stacked on top of each other. Makes the track not center at the front of the skid well. Also was missing a set of bolts to hold a bottom out bumper on. Just made a trip to the hardware store to get things together.

sledhead_79

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2009
Wyoming
My X brace is under the front track arm. It really only fits in one spot.

Remove the rear shock and bottom out the suspension to see how far forward the x brace needs to be.

The pivot arm swings forward into the space given by the X
Thanks for the info, I didn't think the shock rod would hit the brace where I originally placed it. Relocated up where you placed yours with 1/2" clearance between pivot arm and edge x brace.

For those of you curious, I suggest leaving the skid mounted to the tunnel, loosening a couple bolts on the rails just enough to fit the x-brace in. Tighten bolts and remove rear shock. The x brace will slide easily with lightly tap of a rubber mallet for positioning, all completed with the sled on its side. A guy is unable to get accurate placement of x brace if skid is removed from tunnel, to many loose parts that don't allow for real world suspension travel.

Premium Features