• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ice Build Up Around Quick Drive Pulley

M

mtnxtreme

Dec 18, 2007
Opened my side panel the other morning to find my lower QD pulley frozen to the belly pan there was solid ice abt. 3" up the pulley, can't be good for cold start ups on a cold morning. Anyone had this issue, any fixes etc. ?

Rick!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
It's a morning maintenance item. While on the hill, it's free QD cooling.

C
Dec 24, 2014
Much, much less snow in the pan with Taylor footwell vents. Epic powder day today and no snow on the clutch side, only a small amount around the QD. You can cover the hole under the pulley if you still are getting too much.

So either you maintenance it before or after you ride, or get the vents. I used to pour hot water over the bottom pulley to melt the ice out of there. The Mike Taylor vents solved the problem for me 100%

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Covered the hole in the bottom of the belly pan with black gorilla tape. Never had a problem. Mikes vents work awesome too!

C
Dec 24, 2014
Here you go, I pulled the sled into the garage this morning for a thaw and once over before hitting that fresh pow again.

This is what I was riding all day, 2 feet plus, fairly heavy for CO but lighter as we went up.

This is what it looks like fresh off the truck this morning...

Inside the panel

You be the judge:)

COP-OUT

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
LEWISTOWN,MONTANA
SLP Block off plate

SLP makes an aluminum block off plate that fits in the front of the engine. Big open space there and the Plate block a lot of snow from coming in the front of the sled. I also have the Mike Taylor foot well vents they work great

Last edited:

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
I went another route and was having the same prob as you guys..
I went and bought the MtnTek block off plate for the mag side.

Since I had their blow hole it matched the other foot vent that comes in the kit.
You don't just put this over your stock foot well plate- this replaces the entire stock plate

100% clean in the pully area in the over the hood snow that we have now here in Wyoming (finally )

I have a elect start- and prior to the mod on the foot vent I had no clearance between the pully and the battery and snow would freeze overnight and give me
Issues the next morning- even smoked a belt from having the QD freeze overnight from the melting snow

I think the MTN TEK's block off just as much and don't require the mesh between the block off plate and the sled..

I attached a Pic below. in the next post

S/C

Last edited:
Premium Features