• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I took the leap!;)

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
new ride

Got the explorer mounted to the 450 this weekend. I installed a brake line from the hand brake to run the rear brake so the foot brake that freezes up could be removed. Still waiting on the hand guards then ready to rock! It is for sale also for 5K.

T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
I'm new to the one-ski thing - just bought some Hawks, but have never ridden one yet.

Not puttin anyone down, just curious - what is the attraction to a snowbike versus a Snowhawk? It seems like for the cost of a conversion kit, one could just buy a used Hawk.

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
snow bikes

Don't get me wrong here I would never give up my hawk, but in the tight trees the bikes are a blast to ride. It is to me like a whole different type of riding. The explorer is great at doing just what the name says. They work good in the deep off trail and on the trails. The thing is in the wide open areas they loose there appeal to me.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I'm new to the one-ski thing - just bought some Hawks, but have never ridden one yet.

Not puttin anyone down, just curious - what is the attraction to a snowbike versus a Snowhawk? It seems like for the cost of a conversion kit, one could just buy a used Hawk.

Don't get me wrong here I would never give up my hawk, but in the tight trees the bikes are a blast to ride. It is to me like a whole different type of riding. The explorer is great at doing just what the name says. They work good in the deep off trail and on the trails. The thing is in the wide open areas they loose there appeal to me.

Well said....my one word answer would be: weight?

C
Jul 8, 2001
first ride

after about 2 months of sitting and looking at my bike I went for my first ride today. To be honest it didn't go as well as I liked. I hope to hell the front carbides lighten up a bit???? I was riding in some pretty packed/tracked up rodes (they haven't banned the 4x4's from driving on the rodes and started grooming yet). It was pretty bad. I also need to figuire out how to lower my bike about 3 inches because I did more picking myself up than riding at time. This also reminded me that I've needed a new battery for a couple of years now.

anyway- would wearing down those carbides help with the crazy darting??

Also, someone had written about Drilling the track and I was wondering if they had a pic of the pattern they used for "porting" their track. also, there has to be some way of "bettering" the rolling resistence?

J&L Snowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 3, 2008
Aberdeen, SD
stores.ebay.com
learn to ride

Havent rode the bike yet this year but i don't remember much darting. you do have to keep your arms relaxed more so your not fighting the machine. You can run down some asphault to knock down the carbides a little but dont think it makes much difference untill your on ice and need them to bite. Who is porting a snowbike track? Rolling resistance when you adjust the track attack angle you have to remember to throw the instructions away. LOL Seriously it is easy to pinch the track between the drive wheel and the idlers inside the track . I usually step on the back end of the track and then lift up on the main frame then tighten the bolts. let the front pivot as far up as possible and push the back down as far as possible. I can push mine around quite easily and the track seems to roll free.
Confused yet? call if you have any ????????? 605-225-6900 Les

after about 2 months of sitting and looking at my bike I went for my first ride today. To be honest it didn't go as well as I liked. I hope to hell the front carbides lighten up a bit???? I was riding in some pretty packed/tracked up rodes (they haven't banned the 4x4's from driving on the rodes and started grooming yet). It was pretty bad. I also need to figuire out how to lower my bike about 3 inches because I did more picking myself up than riding at time. This also reminded me that I've needed a new battery for a couple of years now.

anyway- would wearing down those carbides help with the crazy darting??

Also, someone had written about Drilling the track and I was wondering if they had a pic of the pattern they used for "porting" their track. also, there has to be some way of "bettering" the rolling resistence?

J
Amen to that. The instructions are only good for assembly. Those french morons wrote the little bit they did when the thing was still in the design phase. Obviously before they put one together and tried it. I had the big pinch right from the start. I could force it with my 650 revved out and holding it wide open while easing out the clutch. You could then go about 15' before it pulls back down to a stall. As everything was installed per the instructions, how would I know about "the pinch"? After working my engine and clutch over for 5 minutes, the pinch let go and away I went always wondering what that was all about.

Premium Features