• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important HUGE BOON to all Backcountry Snowmobilers! ((Mountain Cellular/SAT Coverage))

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The big reveal was today, and according to a few summaries I read, there is no satellite connectivity.
Yup
I saw NO JOY in the new release as far as SAT COMMS go.

But there were several other things that will be NICE TO HAVE ON THE MOUNTAIN.

Not the least of which is the BIGGER BATTERY and the NEW LENSES.

My iPhone 12 Pro Max has been the best iPhone I ever used to take photos with.

I will upgrade to the 13 Pro Max with the expectation that it will be even better

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
now if apple could make a phone battery operate in the cold and last more than a day would be a huge step forward.

I have been told to put phone in ariplane mode to save battery, as if not in airplane mode, phone is looking for signal which drains the battery. Have you tried this? I leave my phone in the truck, but this seems to help.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
I have been told to put phone in ariplane mode to save battery, as if not in airplane mode, phone is looking for signal which drains the battery. Have you tried this? I leave my phone in the truck, but this seems to help.
I'm android so I don't have a battery problem.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I don't because here in SE Idaho every time we pop up to a ridge line we reconnect and get full service.
So I just leave it on all the time I am riding.

800poodragon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
Battery life in the cold seems to affect my I phone battery life. I put a foot warmer (adhesive on the back) on the battery of mine and seems to last much better.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Battery life in the cold seems to affect my I phone battery life. I put a foot warmer (adhesive on the back) on the battery of mine and seems to last much better.
The iPhone 12ProMax was the VERY FIRST iPhone I have ever had that did NOT go dead on me over the course of a day of riding.
And the new iPhone 13ProMax is supposed to have an even larger battery!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
now if apple could make a phone battery operate in the cold and last more than a day would be a huge step forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Current rumor has it that the iPhone 14 will finally have the SAT COMMS and a BETTER BATTERY..

===========

Satellite Connectivity​

The Qualcomm Snapdragon X65 enables some satellite connectivity features, and alongside the modem, Apple plans to implement satellite-based emergency features that will let users to send texts in emergency situations and report major emergencies in areas where there is no cellular coverage.

Emergency Message via satellite will allow users to text emergency services and contacts using a satellite network when there is no cellular or WiFi signal available. It will be a new communications protocol alongside SMS and iMessage, and it will feature gray message bubbles. Message length will be restricted.

Another feature will let users report major emergencies like plane crashes and fires using satellite networks. These features are still in development and will launch in 2022 at the earliest.

====

The leak breaks down the battery capacities as follows:
  • iPhone 14 - 3279 mAh (iPhone 13 - 3,227 mAh)
  • iPhone 14 Max - 4325 mAh (N/A)
  • iPhone 14 Pro - 3200 mAh (iPhone 13 Pro - 3,095 mAh)
  • iPhone 14 Pro Max - 4323 mAh (iPhone 3 Pro Max - 4,352 mAh)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The satellite phone chip was also rumored to be in the iphone 13. Can't trust rumors unless it's about the sled manufacturers. ; )
Correct you are.
I was HOPING to see that feature last year, and when it did not show up, I opted NOT to upgrade my iPhone.
So here i am, 1 year later, still HOPING we see this feature appear.
But likely as not, it won't.:(

Having said that.
TOMS HARDWARE is one of my personal favorites for Tech News.

iPhone 14 tipped for satellite connectivity — what it means for you​

By Philip Michaels published April 12, 2022
Feature would let you send emergency messages when cellular and Wi-Fi networks aren't available

The iPhone 14 could add a new emergency messaging feature that could keep you connected, even when cellular networks are out of reach. Instead, Apple is looking at ways to let future iPhones connect to satellite networks in order to text emergency services when you're in trouble in remote areas.

If this rumored feature sounds familiar, it's because reports of satellite connectivity for iPhones first surfaced last summer, just before the iPhone 13 launch. Those reports also outlined a setup where the iPhone would be able to connect to satellite networks in an emergency.

That obviously didn't happen with the iPhone 13, which debuted last September. But the satellite communication rumor has never faded away, with reports surfacing as recently as March which claimed that Apple would introduce the feature with this fall's iPhones.

The latest to revive talk of a satellite connectivity feature for the iPhone 14 is Bloomberg's Mark Gurman(opens in new tab), who references the capability in a report that's otherwise focused on the Apple Watch and the probability of a new health sensor coming to the Apple Watch 8. At the end of that report, Gurman goes into other future Apple Watch features, which include the reported ability to send emergency test messages over satellite networks.

"The company is also working to eventually bring satellite connectivity to the Apple Watch, setting the stage for emergency texting and SOS response features," Gurman writes. "It’s planning to release those capabilities on iPhone as early as this year."

If accurate, that would mean the iPhone 14 would arrive with the ability to connect to satellite networks when cellular and Wi-Fi weren't available. It's unclear if this feature would be included with all new Apple phones or whether it would be limited to the iPhone 14 Pro models, which seem to be in line to get the most significant changes this fall.

As detailed in previous reports, the satellite connectivity wouldn't be for activities like browsing the web or streaming video. Rather, this is being reported as an emergency communication feature for people who get stuck in remote or rural areas without a dependable connection for their phone.

Apple clearly sees connectivity as a differentiating factor for mobile devices. Recent TV ads have touted the Apple Watch's ability to contact emergency services for people who've fallen or suffered injuries. Adding the ability to message emergency services over satellite to both the iPhone and Apple Watch would be an extension of that capability.

We're in for a bit of a wait before we find out just what features the iPhone 14 models bring to the table. Apple isn't expected to unveil its new phones until September at the earliest. In the meantime, check out our iPhone 14 hub and iPhone 14 Pro hub for all the latest leaks and rumors.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

"Eliminate Dead Zones": Elon Musk Partners With T-Mobile For New Satellite-To-Cell-Service

FRIDAY, AUG 26, 2022 - 06:10 PM

Elon Musk's SpaceX teamed up with T-Mobile CEO Mike Sievert to beam cell service via Starlink satellites to "most places in the US," including more than half a million square miles of dead zone areas that aren't covered by cellular networks.

The two companies would create a new mobile network to broadcast T-Mobile's existing mid-band spectrum via Starlink satellites to anywhere in the continental US, Hawaii, parts of Alaska, and Puerto Rico.

SpaceX and T-Mobile wrote in a press release that the new network would "provide near complete coverage in most places in the US — even in many of the most remote locations previously unreachable by traditional cell signals."

Musk tweeted that the new service, launching in 2023, will "eliminate dead zones worldwide."

Bloomberg explained how the new satellite-to-cellular service would work through powerful antennas attached to upgraded Starlink satellites:
The new network will be accessible thanks to large, powerful antennas attached to Starlink satellites. Musk said each antenna would measure some 25 square meters (269 square feet) and be "extremely advanced because they've got to pick up a very quiet signal from your cell phone and then be caught by a satellite that's traveling 17,000 miles an hour." The T-Mobile service will run in a similar way to data roaming, where a user's mobile will scan for service and if it finds none it will connect to the satellite.
Musk, at an unveiling event at SpaceX's Starbase in Boca Chica, Texas, along with T-Mobile Sievert, on Thursday evening, gave an "open invitation to carriers around the world" about adding the new service.

Bloomberg noted that most smartphones are already equipped with technology to beam a signal to space so that additional equipment won't be required.

But there are limitations, and the main issue is bandwidth, as Bloomberg pointed out:
The main issue is bandwidth, which will at first limit the service to text messaging. The coverage area will be divided into large cell zones, with each zone's connectivity limited to around 2-4 MBs. Musk said that would allow for some 1,000-2,000 voice calls per cell, or millions of text messages, but the service would not provide a substitute for ground cell stations.
"This is really meant to provide basic coverage to areas that are currently completely dead," Musk said, adding there could initially be a delay of "half an hour, maybe worse" for messages to pass through the system.
Testing for the new satellite-to-cellular service is expected later this year after SpaceX launches the new satellites into low Earth orbit.

Premium Features