• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Important HUGE BOON to all Backcountry Snowmobilers! ((Mountain Cellular/SAT Coverage))

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
This is PURE UNSUBSTANTIATED RUMOR
BUT...
If True, HALLELUJAH

Kuo: iPhone 13 to Feature LEO Satellite Communications to Make Calls and Texts Without Cellular Coverage

Sunday August 29, 2021 7:39 am PDT by Hartley Charlton
The iPhone 13 will feature low earth orbit (LEO) satellite communication connectivity to allow users to make calls and send messages in areas without 4G or 5G coverage, according to the reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

iPhone 13 Dummy Thumbnail 2

In a note to investors, seen by MacRumors, Kuo explained that the ‌iPhone 13‌ lineup will feature hardware that is able to connect to LEO satellites. If enabled with the relevant software features, this could allow ‌iPhone 13‌ users to make calls and send messages without the need for a 4G or 5G cellular connection.

The ‌iPhone 13‌ reportedly features a customized Qualcomm X60 baseband chip that supports satellite communications. Other smartphone brands are apparently currently waiting until 2022 to adopt the X65 baseband chip necessary to implement satellite communications functions.

SpaceX's Starlink is a purveyor of LEO internet connectivity that some readers may already be familiar with, but the LEO satellite communication service provider that is "most likely to cooperate with Apple in terms of technology and service coverage" is said to be Globalstar. Qualcomm has purportedly been working with Globalstar to support the n53 band in future X65 baseband chips.

Kuo explained that the "simplest scenario" for providing LEO connectivity to users is if individual network operators work with Globalstar. This means that customers of a partner network operator could use Globalstar's satellite communication service on the ‌iPhone 13‌ directly through their network operator with no additional contracts or payments required.

Kuo added that LEO satellite communications is a technology comparable to mmWave 5G in terms of its impact on the network industry and that Apple may leverage both technologies. Kuo says that Apple is "optimistic" about the trend of satellite communications and set up a specific team for research and development of technologies related to it "some time" ago.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported on the existence of this team in 2019, explaining that Apple was looking into new ways to beam data like internet connectivity directly to iPhones and other devices. Apple CEO Tim Cook reportedly made the project a company priority, with the main aim to beam data directly to a user's iPhone without reliance on wireless carriers and network coverage.

In 2017, Apple hired two Google executives with satellite expertise, who are believed to have been leading the team dedicated to satellites and related wireless technologies.

The company is believed to have plans to bring LEO satellite communications to more devices in the future to "provide innovative experiences." These may include Apple's mixed reality head-mounted display device, electric vehicle, and other IoT accessories, according to Kuo.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
now if apple could make a phone battery operate in the cold and last more than a day would be a huge step forward.
I have been a LONG term iPhone user, and have to say, I have NEVER had an iPhone perform better in the winter on my sled than the 12ProMax has done.
Hands down THE BEST cold weather performer I have ever had!!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
all my Iphone buddys all have a footwarmer stuck to them and in their inside pockets. glad to see the 12's are better. my androids will go 3 day without a charge and never give me a problem in the cold.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Heard the same, more than a rumor. How the calling plans would work would be interesting. Can't comprehend how it wouldn't be additional fee. Could Apple get a piece of the payment stream now? Text, maybe voice, but data? Ditched globalstar for iridium years ago when their birds were failing.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Heard the same, more than a rumor. How the calling plans would work would be interesting. Can't comprehend how it wouldn't be additional fee. Could Apple get a piece of the payment stream now? Text, maybe voice, but data? Ditched globalstar for iridium years ago when their birds were failing.
NOT A CLUE
But I for one would LOVE to have the option...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Apple's iPhone 13 satellite connectivity will reportedly be just for emergencies​

You'll supposedly be able to text an emergency contact or report the details of an accident.

Apple's upcoming iPhone 13 could be able to use satellite signals to send text messages in areas without cellular coverage, but at first, those messages will reportedly be limited to emergencies only. Industry analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told investors last week that Apple's next iPhone will be able to tap into the signals of low-Earth-orbit satellites. As of Monday, Bloomberg is reporting that the phone will only be able to use those signals to text emergency services, emergency contacts or report a crisis.

The iPhone 13 could have a Qualcomm X60 baseband chip allowing it to not only use 4G and 5G, but satellite signals. Kuo named Globalstar as the most likely satellite communications company collaborating with Apple on the service. Early speculation was that Apple would use satellites to connect underserved areas, similar to the goal of the Starlink satellites from SpaceX.

Bloomberg's report throws a little cold water on the breadth of Apple's satellite offerings at launch. An unidentified person told Bloomberg that while the iPhone could have the necessary hardware for satellite communications at launch, we shouldn't expect to see it in action before next year. Plus, the feature is still in flux and could be changed or discarded entirely before release.

Even when it does launch, Bloomberg notes it will primarily be a texting-via-satellite tool. You'll be able to send SOS messages to emergency services or an emergency contact via the Messages app and the texts will be limited to a shorter length. You'll supposedly also be able to report a crisis like a plane crash or a sinking boat, and the phone will prompt you for details. It's unclear which emergency services the phone would use.

You might also have to walk in a certain direction as prompted by your phone to actually connect to a satellite, and the connection might not be instantaneous. Bloomberg's article did not rule out the service eventually being used for phone calls.

The new iPhone is expected to debut in September, with rumored features such as an upgraded design with a smaller notch, a thicker camera bump and a collection of nifty new color options like bubblegum pink, matte black and a bronzy sunset gold.

Apple didn't immediately respond to a request for comment.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I read that the 13 will only have facial recognition and not fingerprint I.D.

Does that mean you have to remove your helmet and balaclava to unlock the phone or could one include recognition with a helmet on in addition to ones regular facial image?

I dont currently have facial recognition on my iphone 8 so I dont know if that feature allows multiple images.

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT

Does that mean you have to remove your helmet and balaclava to unlock the phone or could one include recognition with a helmet on in addition to ones regular facial image?

I dont currently have facial recognition on my iphone 8 so I dont know if that feature allows multiple images.
Punch in code . For example 776777

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

I would be VERY SURPRISED if it could generate a facial pattern with ANYTHING covering your face.
I do know they have been deliberately working on a new pattern recognition system for wearing COVID Masks.
It focuses in on the UPPER portion of the face.

So MAYBE there is a route to having a helmet on??

the easier route would be to just TURN OFF login requirements while out riding.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
Personally. I enjoy my phone not working and the escape from "reality" to the... real world of nature is largely what makes my existence on this planet survivable. In the long days of summer I can be dead ass tired but if I go for a 10 min rip on a dirtbike or bad ass car/truck, can come back to it all easy enough. But nothing beats sledding to reset. If I have my phone with me it's services all get turned off and it's purely for saved data for tuning or Google earth for exploring. Or for pics videos ect. Very rare that the outside world can be much help when your in the back country, atleast where I live (1 town past the end of the road and Cooke might as well be the moon). Planing on NOT having help is always better than to PLAN on needing to call for help.

Boyscouts 101 - bring every tool you hope you never need and the one you forgot at home is the one you will need.

It's all fine and dandy adding complexity to the sport and to each his own but for me I prefer being in the late 1800s when I'm riding boondockcowboy'n it

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Personally. I enjoy my phone not working and the escape from "reality" to the... real world of nature is largely what makes my existence on this planet survivable. In the long days of summer I can be dead ass tired but if I go for a 10 min rip on a dirtbike or bad ass car/truck, can come back to it all easy enough. But nothing beats sledding to reset. If I have my phone with me it's services all get turned off and it's purely for saved data for tuning or Google earth for exploring. Or for pics videos ect. Very rare that the outside world can be much help when your in the back country, atleast where I live (1 town past the end of the road and Cooke might as well be the moon). Planing on NOT having help is always better than to PLAN on needing to call for help.

Boyscouts 101 - bring every tool you hope you never need and the one you forgot at home is the one you will need.

It's all fine and dandy adding complexity to the sport and to each his own but for me I prefer being in the late 1800s when I'm riding boondockcowboy'n it

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
And then, when the FECAL MATTER HITS THE ROTARY OSCILLATOR and you need to call in the freaking CAVALRY, man, would it be nice to have SAT COMMUNICATIONS as an available option.

As an Old Scout Master, who taught MANY a young Boy Scout.
Plan for the Worst
Hope for the Best.

ALWAYS BE PREPARED is the motto I thought all of my young men.

Self Rescue is absolutely the goal.
But there are times when the whole side of the mountain comes down and your world turns to crap in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
If the 13 has facial id and the ability to enter a code if needed, that would be fine.

I have my iphone 8 set to always require a fingerprint or a 6 digit code in case I lose the phone.

Seedie_Man

Lifetime Membership
Mar 3, 2008
Park Rapids, MN
And then, when the FECAL MATTER HITS THE ROTARY OSCILLATOR and you need to call in the freaking CALVARY, man, would it be nice to have SAT COMMUNICATIONS as an available option.

As an Old Scout Master, who taught MANY a young Boy Scout.
Plan for the Worst
Hope for the Best.

ALWAYS BE PREPARED is the motto I thought all of my young men.

Self Rescue is absolutely the goal.
But there are times when the whole side of the mountain comes down and your world turns to crap in a heartbeat.

I would rather call the CAVALRY, than the hill that Jesus died on. :p

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
But the cavalry will just drag you home for burial…..

Think what Calvary can accomplish at that point.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
If the 13 has facial id and the ability to enter a code if needed, that would be fine.

I have my iphone 8 set to always require a fingerprint or a 6 digit code in case I lose the phone.

Facial recognition or code started on iPhone11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Apple was considering adding an in-display fingerprint sensor to the iPhone 13 models, which would be used in addition to Face ID as an alternate biometric authentication method, but it's a feature that's been tabled or saved for a future update because it didn't make the cut for the iPhone 13. The iPhone 13 will rely solely on Face ID.

No Touch ID

Over the course of the iPhone 13 development process, Apple tested is testing an in-screen Touch ID fingerprint reader that would mark a major change to the biometric systems that Apple has used for flagship devices since the launch of the iPhone X, allowing for dual biometric functionality.

iPhone 12 Touch ID Feature Img

Unfortunately, under-display Touch ID didn't "make the cut" for the iPhone 13 models, and Apple will instead continue to focus solely on Face ID. There will be no Touch ID fingerprint sensor in the iPhone 13.

Bloomberg further says that Apple is focusing on Face ID and is planning to embed Face ID under the screen for an all-screen design for a future iPhone rather than using under-display Touch ID in a future flagship device.

There were a number of rumors that pointed to Apple's work on under-display Touch ID. The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern, for example, has suggested that Apple is working on an in-display fingerprint sensor that could use optical technology, but this doesn't appear to have panned out if it was indeed in testing.

Had Apple implemented in-display Touch ID, the fingerprint sensor would have been made available in addition to Face ID for a dual biometric system. Under-display Touch ID technology could still be implemented in a future iPhone, and Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has said that Apple could use the feature for some models of the 2022 iPhones.

Larger Batteries

The iPhone 13 models will have larger batteries, which could result in longer battery life. Apple is using new space saving designs like integrating the SIM slot with the mainboard and reducing the front optical module thickness to provide more space for the battery.
The iPhone 13 Pro Max is said to have a 4352mAh battery, up from 3687mAh in the iPhone 12 Pro Max, while the iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro will feature a 3095mAh battery, up from 2815mAh in the iPhone 12. The iPhone 13 mini is expected to include a 2406mAh battery, up from the 2227mAh battery in the iPhone 12 mini.
The A15 chip will introduce further efficiency improvements. DigiTimes reports that the iPhone 13 Pro models will feature 15-20 percent lower power consumption to offset the battery life impact of high-refresh rate displays.
Leaker Max Weinbach claims the iPhone 13 mini's battery will last an hour longer than the iPhone 12 mini, and that the iPhone 13 Pro Max will get an 18 to 20 percent larger battery. The iPhone 13 and 13 Pro will have 10 percent larger batteries, but iPhone 13 Pro battery life could trail iPhone 13 battery life due to the 120Hz ProMotion displays.

25W Power Adapter​

The iPhone 13 models may support even faster charging speeds with support for 25W power adapters. The iPhone 12 models offer fast charging but 20W provides the maximum charging power.
Apple could also offer a new 25W power adapter for sale alongside the new iPhone models.

Premium Features