• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How Do You Sidehill?

Thread Rating
4.00 star(s)
V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
im not much of a sidehiller but i ussually use the strap. next year ill also get a left depending on which sled i ride.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
I was wondering how some of you all sidehill? what is your technique? do you use your side hill strap or lefty throttle? This should be interesting forum.

I'm way late to this thread, sorry!

I prefer the uphill to be on my left with the right ski in the air. Just more comfortable for me. I very seldom use the mountain strap, if I do it's for the times you need to get the sled on it's side right away or face going into the creek, drop off or ravine type of situation, otherwise I never use it. The left throttle, not needed for me, I'm tall enough with long enough arm that it hasn't been needed. It may be a good thing but I'm comfortable in what I have right from the factory. I try going as slow as possible but sometimes speed helps with what you are needed to traverse. In our group the first guy (me) generally goes right at the top to give everyone else a fair line but sometimes that leaves very little room for error for them. Other times I have seen where sticking to the line I made helps make a pretty good path for the way out.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Where do your ride? The trails? Sorry but that is simply a ludicrous statement.

I have never felt the need for a lefty but I am over 6 ft tall and have long arms. The strap on the other hand can definately be a lifesaver or at least a sledsaver.

The trick to most sidehills is enough gas to get the track to drop in, usually lots of gas. Once the track has dropped it is easier to roll the sled over and sidehill.

Hey man, If you like holding on to a flimsy strap have at er. Its not going to make you any better of a rider though. It will most likely get you into most situations than out of.

W
Jan 2, 2008
no two people are alike, no two sleds are identical, no two riding areas are exactly the same.

If you feel you need a lefty, get one

If you wanna use the mountain strap, feel free.

Don't let the "kewl crowd" dictate how you ride, do what you gotta do to get er done.

The "crutches" are nice to right your sled then once your on the power go to the bars

S
Nov 28, 2007
My technique:

1: Slam the throttle to initially get the track to spin, at the same time using body weight leaning into the hill. (I use both feet on the uphill running board)

2: Once the sled is at an angle I want (usually horizontal), I continue feather the throttle to keep the track spinning. Less body english is required as I get the sled under control.

3: I will walk the running boards, keeping the sled angle balanced. At no time do I allow the track to stop spinning, and always feathering the throttle, digging a slight trench.

4:If the track starts to grab too much, the track will walk on top of the snow, and make the sled pitch downhill. Once that happens, it's all over, and I am going back down the hill.

I love to sidehill and to me, this is much more challenging than point an shoot hi-marking. If you can do figure-8's on the a hillside, you have arrived!

D
Sep 13, 2002
Airdrie, AB
link to instructional videos

Hey guys, just came across a newer website, with some great instructional videos for sidehilling up or down and changing a belt on a Rev. Very basic, but the video will really help explain what everyone is trying to say on these posts. Here's the link, they did an excellent job on it. Great pow pow shots as well, lucky buggers, some awesome snow in the vids:

http://www.sledshot.com/tech_tips.php

http://www.sledshot.com/tech_tips.php

A
Mar 26, 2008
Montreal Quebec.
wow i was right.......

I never go on one side only.. keep one foot on eachside.... what you need to do is to turn your ski tips out from the hill... your weight is on the inside and your tips point away from the hill... the more you turn them away .. the more it wants to go up the hill..the ski cuts the snow and your machine falls into it...

guess ridding on the little hills in Quebec has its place.... but whats really important is... we are all different and if we all rode the same like me the right way...just kidding...( enjoying the moment in front of my son..) it would be borring... and then we would all ride the same machines ( yamaha s :face-icon-small-win ) but that is a great video....:D

Premium Features