• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BCA link 2.0 vs oxbow

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Anyone here used the bca link 2.0 and the oxbow units? I currently have 2 bca link 2.0 units. I a bca one on my float 25 wired through the avy bag area to the strap holder and is pretty slick. My dads pack doesnt have it and the wire sticks out. Just wondering from people which have used both and which you all like better?

StuckDownHill

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 7, 2019
Had a couple bca link 2.0 but broke the little clip on the mic cord. Bca did replace it free of charge and they were excellent to deal with. I asked if I could buy a new mic and they said nope, but we will send you one for free. After I broke another I bought an Oxbow. Also very happy with the product. Both are great options in my opinion but I prefer the Oxbow just because I can charge it easier.

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
Had a couple bca link 2.0 but broke the little clip on the mic cord. Bca did replace it free of charge and they were excellent to deal with. I asked if I could buy a new mic and they said nope, but we will send you one for free. After I broke another I bought an Oxbow. Also very happy with the product. Both are great options in my opinion but I prefer the Oxbow just because I can charge it easier.
It worth just using my bca till something happens then upgrade?

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Anyone use rocky talkie? We used them on a job in the mountains this fall. They worked stellar. Liked the carabiner. My mic always comes off my backpack. $110 and you can get a mic for extra. You could have them on,all day, and if you didn't talk your battery would be at 100%. Range seemed comparable to everyone else. Push the off button once and it would give you a numerical battery percentage. Push and hold shuts them off. If battery was way down you could hear but couldn't talk. I might try them this winter. Just another option

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I just received my pair of 5 W Rocky Talkie radios with the handheld mics. Although I’ve not used them in the mountains yet, I have played with them around the house, and I am very impressed with them. The quality of them is far superior to any other radios I’ve used. They’ve got a metal clip on the back of the mic and on the radio, very secure tether that you could clip to your pack if you’re clipping the radio to your shoulder strap. They have volume adjustments on the mic along with a button that allows you to switch between channel A and channel B. You can monitor two channels at one time. Check out their website because I paid full price for these and I’m not a paid spokesperson in any way. But, from what I can see they are a very good radio and the only downfall in my opinion is if your buddies don’t have these radios the 5w benefit is they can hear you, but, if you are out of range of their radios, you’re not going to hear them. At least they know that I’m alive or if I’m in trouble, they know that and can find me on my 7s, even though I can’t hear their response.

Also, I contacted frog skin and they said they just received their Rocky Talkie 5 W radios and are currently in the process of getting frog skin templates for these also.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I just received my pair of 5 W Rocky Talkie radios with the handheld mics. Although I’ve not used them in the mountains yet, I have played with them around the house, and I am very impressed with them. The quality of them is far superior to any other radios I’ve used. They’ve got a metal clip on the back of the mic and on the radio, very secure tether that you could clip to your pack if you’re clipping the radio to your shoulder strap. They have volume adjustments on the mic along with a button that allows you to switch between channel A and channel B. You can monitor two channels at one time. Check out their website because I paid full price for these and I’m not a paid spokesperson in any way. But, from what I can see they are a very good radio and the only downfall in my opinion is if your buddies don’t have these radios the 5w benefit is they can hear you, but, if you are out of range of their radios, you’re not going to hear them. At least they know that I’m alive or if I’m in trouble, they know that and can find me on my 7s, even though I can’t hear their response.

Also, I contacted frog skin and they said they just received their Rocky Talkie 5 W radios and are currently in the process of getting frog skin templates for these also.
Are you getting a license? Seen these but we had the other ones.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
Are you getting a license? Seen these but we had the other ones.
Yes, I did get the GRMS license and it’s only $35 for 10 years and it covers your entire family and cousins, uncles, grandparents and I’ll just tell my friends that they’re my brothers.

K
Feb 15, 2023
Colorado
I had BCA Link 2.0 radios originally. Replaced them with Oxbow. 100% would do it again, not even a question. The BCAs were fine radios but the dials and PTT button were lacking. Oxbow is easier to use and better comms. The only thing the Oxbow doesn't do better is the preset channels...But I'll be sticking with Oxbow.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
We have had both, had a few issues with BCA radios, they were great to deal with and replaced as needed. Oxbows now and nice to not have a cord to your pack, the oxbows have been good for two seasons…no problems. Range seems about the same for both.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I switched from bca 2.0 to Oxbow Renegade X about 2 years ago and I won't be switching back. No more accidently turning to a different channel, longer battery life and better range. I did have and issue with the mics on my Oxbows but I contacted them about it and I had new upgraded radios with in a couple days. The Bluetooth radios give you some different options also.
#Oxbowgear.

hushpuff

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2016
I'll second the 5 watt Rocky Talky here. I have had BCA's, Oxbows, Rugged radios (5 watt) and the new 5 Watt Rocky talky is the real deal. Mic has volume control and worked flawlessly without a frogskin cover in one of the deepest days I've ever been out in. Two days of use and in my truck at below freezing temps for two days and the battery is still at 100%. Every BCA I've had has been warrantied at least once if not twice. The oxbow is a decent unit but does not fit on my highmark airbag vest in a way I feel doesn't interfere with the airbag. The licensing for the 5 watt is a chore but doesn't take more than 20-30 minutes if you follow the rocky talkie blog post.

B
Dec 19, 2021
Alberta
So is it worth maybe just selling bca ones and going to oxbow or just use them till something happens with them. The oxbow sounds to me like it’s a better bca radio honestly

D

Daner1978

Nov 26, 2022
Cottonwood Heights Utah
Anyone here used the bca link 2.0 and the oxbow units? I currently have 2 bca link 2.0 units. I a bca one on my float 25 wired through the avy bag area to the strap holder and is pretty slick. My dads pack doesnt have it and the wire sticks out. Just wondering from people which have used both and which you all like better?
I have used oxbow for the last 3 years and it’s sooo much better reception than the BCA!

jh7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 2, 2023
ND/MT
Rode a couple seasons with the BCA Link 2.0. After 2 seasons the plastic clip holding the mic to the radio body broke. BCA Warranty was great and super easy to deal with. Had a replacement mic in no time. Decided to try an Oxbow last season, and I didn't use the BCA after that.

There's pros and cons to both.
Oxbow Pros: Great battery life, can lock the keypad so no channels or privacy codes get changed, easy to use, easier charging that uses USB C.
Con: The antenna is somewhat annoying on a Klim Aspect 16 avy pack--they make a mount that you can rivet through the front chest plate (accessory). I just used the included mount on the shoulder strap, and the antenna would sometimes hit the bottom of my helmet. As of today they just released a different mount for the Klim Aspect 14 & 16s--I might give that a try.
BCA Pros: Smaller mic profile, guts of the radio are protected in avy pack. Large push to talk button.
Cons: Micro USB charging, and probably the most annoying thing--the dial to change channel presets is on the mic. It's too easy to rotate the dial without realizing it, and you're on a separate channel or privacy code than the rest of your group.

Didn't really notice a difference in reception between the two.

Last edited:
Premium Features