• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How do they do it?

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Unless its the few that actually get paid for the sport or super hardcore guys with enough scratch to blow on new stuff every year then it's called debt.
Not something I'd go into for a hobby.
I got this setup (just got the big trailer last year, "new" 2005 model, lol) filled with machines front to back plus another sled in the garage (1980 Cat).
Difference is, I got $60k into the whole mess, truck included and the truck, M7, Pro and Yami were all almost new when purchased. Wait for the right deals, have cash on hand and jump on them when you see em.
Could sell everything right now and recoup about $45-50k if I had to.
Of course I'm not who you are talking about. My new MF bibs are 4 years old and they make my Kilm jacket look new, lol!

IMG_0010.JPG IMG_0062.jpg

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
My 2 cents. . .

No kids. Good credit. Decent job.

That's all that is needed really.

I have no kids, great credit, great paying crappy job and ask myself the same question when I go camping during the summer months.

I see folks pulling $60k toyhaulers loaded with nice, expensive ATVs/UTVS towed by a $65k truck and I often wonder how the heck they do it. I have a used 29 foot fifth wheel that I tow with an F150. My tow vehicle is a compromise and I'm pretty maxed out on cargo carrying capacity wise when it is hooked up. It works and I shouldn't complain because I'm blessed to have these things and they are all paid for.

So, if you are one of those folks who has a big truck with an awesome trailer (snow or camping trailer) and gets the newest sled or ATV each year, please share your secret(s).

Having a wife who uses $5,500/month of medication each month is my excuse although insurance covers 80% of that after our $3500 deductible is met. She's worth it and that is one of the reasons she rides an 07sled. :)

B

Bcorn

Dec 29, 2013
South shore Lake Superior
I have two kids in college so I ride a five year old sled,just covered my open place trailer this year with a snocap to keep the chit off my sled.I don't have the latest and greatest but everytime I get on that sled all my troubles and bills disappear and I can't stop smiling!

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I believe some of the big sponsered riders are demoing the trailers and sleds, they get to use them for a year and then give them back to the manufacture at the end of the year for them to resell and start all over again the next year with fresh stuff.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
From someone who sees both sides

Start it off with a good paying job. Oil rig crews were always good for the big toy box, the guys who were in it before it boomed and got to move up in the ranks were making some pretty serious coin, easily able to afford the toys with cash. Many with no family, etc so there is a LOT of disposable income. Seasonal construction crews/farmers etc who were doing well but not nearly the cash flow but are able to put a lot of it through the buisness for tax purposes allowing them to afford some pretty nice items. Then plenty of dudes just trying to keep up with the joneses up to their eyes in debt. then 90% of the riders with maybe a new sled/ or a few years old with some accessories and a few year old truck that doesn't have 20k in accesories on it. pulling on a base model enclosed, open trailer or rocking the back of the pickup truck.

As for the top tier pro guys. This is few select guys that your not going to see every day on the hill.
Basically like any pro athlete, trucks/trailers are often demo's that get re-uped every year. they get cash payment from sponsors as well as most of their products for free so really they just need enough money to live and the rest is provided assuming they uphold endorsement contracts. They actually don't make a ton of money, just lots of goodies for free. It looks like a lot of fun, but its just a different job. Hard work all the same!

Last edited:
W
Feb 4, 2014
Belle Fouche
I'll bite. Know a few guys that are sponshured. Everyone of them put the time in to getting a good education and land high paying jobs that help them afford their toys. All of em know how to work and work hard. The high profile ones don't sink $ into trailers or big diesels, in fact a few don't even own half tons. They get sleds and parts at cost usually from doing serious relationship building and promoting the products. Then sell them at the end of the season to go towards funding the next season of riding/filming. The trade offs, during sled season they are pulled so thin that its rare they get to ride with friends that don't film or promote product. And they get to have people sit on internet forums talking trash on them about how they may or may not have gotten to where they are while they are out trying to give back by doing fund raisers for clubs and help host avy clinics.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I'll bite. Know a few guys that are sponshured. Everyone of them put the time in to getting a good education and land high paying jobs that help them afford their toys. All of em know how to work and work hard. The high profile ones don't sink $ into trailers or big diesels, in fact a few don't even own half tons. They get sleds and parts at cost usually from doing serious relationship building and promoting the products. Then sell them at the end of the season to go towards funding the next season of riding/filming. The trade offs, during sled season they are pulled so thin that its rare they get to ride with friends that don't film or promote product. And they get to have people sit on internet forums talking trash on them about how they may or may not have gotten to where they are while they are out trying to give back by doing fund raisers for clubs and help host avy clinics.

You nailed it. I rarely get to ride with my industry friends during the season, usually late season rides when filming and promo stuff has come to an end. Usually just ripping with my local crew most of the winter! Takes a lot of work to "make it" in the sled industry and in general that is also heavily subsidized by a lot of hard work in the summer!

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
I think there are there are a lot of those folks with the new truck, trailer, sleds, jet ski, camper and house living very close to the edge of a financial landslide should a job loss or major injury happen. I have friends that have the latest and greatest everything but can only take one short trip to the mountains a year because they can't afford more. Since the oil slowed down around here it is very easy to see who was living on credit and who has their stuff paid for.

M
Dec 27, 2015
The trucks, trailers, fuel, and many other questionable "expenses" are tax write-offs to a lot of the self employed guys coming from the Midwest. :rofl:
I'm a self employed commercial roofing contractor in Cleveland and I can assure you I write off all my trucks trailers and fuel expenses.Unfortunately I have a IRS audit Monday morning.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Some people who have sponsorships or are "ambassadors" and don't talk about it.

noxis

Premium Member
Sep 21, 2009
Work hard play hard

Some of us just plain work our butts off for 9 months so we can have nice toys and enjoy the winter. I got 3 kids and a new truck, sled and my credit card is paid at the end of every month. Been on the sled for ten days at Togwotee over two different weeks so far this winter . Didn't get to ride last winter at all because of work. That was the first time since 2001 that I didn't ride for 30 days or so. Sometimes you just have to have a goal and kick *** every day.
That's my two cents.

N
Dec 12, 2015
Great responses guys. Wasnt looking to start a chit storm .... just wondering how some of these guys make it. Never once doubted that some guys bust their backs for 3/4s of the year so that they could ride the winters .

Premium Features