• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HOLZ SKID need parts or help ASAP

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
I have an older Holz coilover skid in my Pro X 2 800 Im not sure on what year it is but I belive its the hill climb version. I need the mount that goes from the bottom of the front shock to the bottom of the rear shock it broke/bent in half.... I either need the parts or for someone to take some measurements for me so I can build a new one. Cant get ahold of HOLZ till tomorrow to find out if parts are still available.. Fingers crossed.. Anyone have any ideas. Why the hell was this piece designed like this... Seems like a a really weak link on an otherwise great skid.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Most parts are available... Carls probably still has some..

I belive you are talking about the linkage rods... I have a couple of these new... but I wont be back home till the 5 th of Jan... if you still need them at that time... let me know.

I have some of the
Untitled-2.jpg

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Mountainhourse,

My linkage rods are ok.

The piece that broke is the piece that the lower bolt of the front shock and lower bolt of the rear shock mounts too. it it is interconnected between the two. that snapped in half in the middle and got pretty mangled up.

The Diagram really helps though but Im not sure if it is number 4, although I am not exactly sure what 4 points too. but it appears as far as I can tell that thats what I need.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
holzdiag.jpg

Are you talking about part "A" or part "B" (below)

If you are talking about part A.. that is the called the "Center Shock Pivot"

If you are talking about part B.... that is a component of the assembled front torque arm (AKA "Swing arm) and is not replaceable individually... you will need to buy the entire torque arm. These are specific parts to the chassis that they are made for and can not be used from another model/brand of sled.

In all the Holz skids and miles that I have seen, I have never seen one of these components break.

Was the skid assembled correctly (all bolts installed and in the right place)? Was it maintained regularly. Was it crashed?

Post up some pix of your damage.

Holz3.jpg

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
ca

Im going to get some pictures because mine is totally different than either one pictured even.

The mount for my shocks is or was rather interconnected. the tubes run all the way across from the rails and is not part of the front swing arm. It has 3 sets of holes in it and the that the bottom of the rear shock mounted in.

Is this an older skid??? Its mounted in a Vanamburg tunnel... The rails appear to be polaris 144 rails with no kickup. I dont see a part number on the skid anywhere... STILL cant get ahold of HOLZ... And Carls cycle didnt have the piece at all..

I am going to buy a skid out of an 08 switchback tomarrow so I can ride for now. Its 500 out the door fully assembled with shocks.. If I can get the parts to fix the HOLZ I will fix it... otherwise I will just sell it as is.

I have more problems now anyway my rear shock body is fully shot. It has a huge dent in it so I need a shock too... All said and done it will be way more money to fix the HOLZ than it will to get a full on skid that I know I can get parts for.

The skid was assembled correctly... The piece appears to have been broken and welded before. This break is my fault... Apparently HOLZ skids dont like 50 foot drops... I sketched the landing kinda bad, hit the kill switch in

mid air and tail landed badly. Im lucky this is all that broke.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
That doesnt even sound like a Holz skid to me.

The one you've shown in the link you provided above IS the holz skid shown in the pics I've posted.

As far as the switchback skid... you will have to make some spacers to widen the crossshafts on both sides to the tunnel, get longer grade 8 or better bolts and take some time to dial in the valving (Carls would be good source for this) for your application (that is IF the skid has the snowcheck rebuildable shocks)... the IQ valving is quite different than the Edge "series" RMK's...

I'd look for an edge RMK skid with good shocks in it rather than the IQ RMK.... IMO

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Its a holz skid. It says Holz on the front arm and the rear arm the arms are yellow. Its almost entirely the same as the one you posted just the shock mounting is a little bit different otherwise they are identical.
I dont know what to tell you as I am the 3rd owner of the sled so I dont know the history of the skid or what year it is exactly which really sucks. I cant get ahold of anyone at HOLZ first it was busy all day now there is no one answering. So I dont know what to do.

My tunnel is a Van Amburg tunnel so mounting should not be too hard. I figured I would have to make the spacers that wont be a problem, I just need something that will work until I can get parts.

I will take some pictures of the part that broke.

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Ok here is what I am talking about.. The larger front part is what the front shock mounts onto. The mangled holes between the two pieces is where the rear shock mounts too.

See the pieces are totally separate from the front arm. The rest of the skid looks exactly the same as the first one you posted besides this piece being different.

SANY0308.jpg SANY0309.jpg SANY0310.jpg SANY0312.jpg SANY0311.jpg

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
part A is between the transfer rods and the shock on the end. Its a strait piece that just mounts into the 3rd hole on the mangled piece above mounting the rear shock. Its not curved like the one you pictured. The front shock just mounts on the bottom of the larger single holed broken piece above. On my skid Part B is not part of the front arm at all. Its just the piece that I pictured. So part B is what I need, just a different configuration. Sorry for the confusion.

To me the design you posted makes a heck of alot more sense than what I have. Maybe my skid is older or something... Holz did finally email me. They are doing inventory so their phones will be off for the rest of this week. Hopefully they can figure out something for me.

I will take a picture of the whole thing tomorrow when I go to put the new skid in it. Got a skid out of an 08 switchback skid has less than 300 .miles on it. With shocks I paid 500 dollars out the door from Mowhawk Salvage in Hibbing, MN... Spend the whole day going to get it, then I went and had some spacers C and C machined for the install. Got the measurements all ready should be ready to rock about mid day tomarrow.

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
rode 200 miles with the skid today. cant complaine so far all is good.

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Holz claims that this piece is not theirs, and the front mount has to be part of the mounting of the shock system. So who knows what was done to this skid by the people that owned it before. The skid that I have now out of an 08 switchback works much better that that skid ever did anyway. So i guess I am just going to put it in the shed and forget it.

X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
So I finally got around to taking pictures of this thing. Remember this is how it was put together when i got it. If its missing parts or wrong its news to me. I knew it was not at all like any new Holz skid I had seen but I assumed it was out of a gen 2 or early edge or something.

0104001344.jpg 0104001345.jpg SANY0345.jpg SANY0346.jpg

Last edited:
X

X2Freeride

Jan 25, 2009
Ok The story takes a even more interesting turn. Here is the email that I got from HOLZ regarding the skid. Looks like I am going to have to fix this skid for sure now.

What you have is a very rare prototype suspension that we built several years ago for some hill climb racer. There may be about 2 in existence including the one you have. Unfortunately, we don’t have any parts or even fixtures to build new parts for the kit you have.

small Holz logo

Matt Rohrbach

6226 Chasteen Rd.

Lynden, WA 98264

Ph: 360-398-7006

Fax: 360-398-0267

www.holzracingproducts.com

Premium Features