• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High voltage

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
What can cause high voltage?

I am having a problem with to many volts, it fried my ac current connector 3 weeks ago, and so I put a whole new wire harness in and also a new regulator. This weekend my afr gauge started acting up so I looked at a data log and my sled at idle is showing 20.5 volts, I am guessing that is way high since I have never seen it above 16 before.

Any suggestions?

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Headlights and hand warmers still hooked up and functional?

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I put a new regulator in today and the exact same thing happened again. It's starts at 19v and slowly climbs to 20.5 volts

Tps, and are sensor are going haywire also, guessing it's from all the extra volts

Stroker Customs

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2002
CO
Can you check for DC voltage on the AC circuit or vise versa? If you have DC Voltage coming out the AC circuit you may have a bad stator. Only other thing you could try would be testing the voltage before the regulator and see if the regulator is actually regulating the voltage. I have only seen a stator put out 16 volts without a regulator so that's what makes me think maybe check for DC voltage bleeding through to the AC side. I don't know maybe I am way off here.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
That's interesting. Is this a new VR? Do you have a vipec?

I would try taking the wad of ground wires loose, clean them real well with a wire brush/blow off with break cleen and the surface they bolt to. I have seen just a tiny amount of corrossion that you can't see when they are bolted down cause a voltage issue. I'm a freak with grounds, I add a ground strap on Polaris'

Are you checking voltage both on the DC and then the AC sides? In and out of the VR. Your meter has to be selected DC or AC specifically.

I'm assuming the AC voltage side is okay?

Could be the stator if there isn't a ground or wiring problem.

I would start disconnecting any add-on's also.

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I did add an additional ground from the ground post to the coil side of the motor, have tried it hooked up and unhooked and it doesn't make a difference

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
What exactly do you have for ANY electrical loads on your sled... any electrical devices, deletions, additions???

Have you wired in anything with it's own Bridge Rectifier or capacitor on it??

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I did add an additional ground from the ground post to the coil side of the motor, have tried it hooked up and unhooked and it doesn't make a difference

That's a good thing although if there is the tiniest amount of corrosion on the wad of grounds, it won't help. I'm serious about cleaning those ground connectors with a wire brush.

I think we need to get out Fluke meter and start getting some readings and report back. Pre-VR and Post VR.

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I will clean off all grounds tonight, and get my fluke out. Ac power seems fine I still have lights and hand warmers.

MH-

I have a ngk wideband, and also a data log switch, other than that everything all stock

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
I cleaned off the grounds wire a wire brush put them back on. Then check the ac voltage and dc voltage coming out of the regulator and they are both 14-15v. So chassis power is good.

I think I might have a vipec problem

C

CDK

Sep 5, 2011
Throw the stock ecu on and test again at an idle perhaps?

Kcjepperson

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2012
Wallsburg, UT
Put the vipec on my wifes sled it was reading the exact same. High voltage. I am hoping, but not really, that its only the vipec. I was told to just run the vipec so I rode today and I rode all day just fine, except for the last 1-2 miles back out then it started acting up

Premium Features