• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

High mileage 600 cfi

J
Mar 17, 2021
Manitoba, Canada
Hey all I picked up a higher mileage minty 2007 IQ 600 cfi. It has over 7000 miles. Compression is great. Clutches are clean and body is spotless

The mileage made me nervous, but the condition of sled made me pull the trigger

Does anyone else have high miles on these 600 cfi motors? Should I be nervous of anything?

162E2BFF-97E4-4355-A386-2EBBBDA4D668.jpeg

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
These engines have a 5000 mile or 8000 kilometer service life from the manufacturer. More or less mileage is likely based on luck of the draw or clean living.

Some might disagree, but I would plan to open the top end up and inspect the pistons real well. How well maintained was the primary clutch? That could cause issues if out of balance for that long.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
The carb'd 600s have a stellar reputation and can go 10k on a trail sled easily. My old 600 (mountain sled; maybe call it a crossover compared to new stuff) has around 4500 and still runs great. The CFI motors tend to be more hit or miss from what I hear: injectors plug or go bad and burn down a piston, lubrication isn't as good without the gas to help get the oil where it's needed. If you have access to a leakdown tester and dial gauge, it'd be good to do a leakdown test and check the crank runout. If it runs right and everything checks out, I wouldn't be afraid of it. People get wrapped around a certain mileage figure, but a sled that's rode hard and put away wet will often go down well before you hit that number, while sleds that are taken care of will fly right past it.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
If the engine checks out fine, the chain/gears might be worth looking at, the jack shaft and drive shaft bearings plus bogey wheel bearings. If it were mine with that many miles, I'd drop the rear skid and completely disassemble, inspect, R&R what needs it, and grease then reassemble. Amazing how much muck is built up with aluminum shafts in steel tubes if not properly greased regularly. Replace fuel filter if needed.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
We have a bit over 7500 miles on both of ours. Compression is right around 125 PSI on both at 3400 feet. Clutches cleaned and checked for wear items yearly. I have changed fuel filters every 2000 miles. Skid bearings checked and replaced as necessary every year. Chaincase oil changed every year.
One thing you might want to check is that the voltage regulator has been upgraded to part # 4013587. Original part # 4011731 will kill the ECU when it fails.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Well, if it's a good dealership... In my case, I'd trust the opinion of the first independent repair shop in the yellow pages over the local dealer. If you've got a good relationship with them, that's one thing, but it's not that difficult to prep yourself, and to some dealers "take a close look and make sure everything's good to go" is code for "sell me a new motor." Just sayin...

Premium Features