• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hello from Jerry

J
Jan 16, 2016
I hope it is appropriate to post this here.

My research colleague and I study decision making and travel in potential avalanche terrain at Montana State in Bozeman. Currently, we have over 600 backcountry skiing participants representing 10 alpine countries in our MSU Tracks project. Collectively, they have submitted over 2000 GPS tracks. We are now developing a similar project for backcountry snowmobilers and invite you to participate. By the way, we are both active riders.

Getting started is easy.

Our website leads you through five easy steps. You can use a smartphone or your GPS unit to record and send tracks. We invite novice through expert riders and any terrain. We will not share your tracks.

Here are some of the questions we are addressing:
· Who is riding in the backcountry?
· What are your travel practices and how might that change during high avalanche warnings?
· What avalanche training and safety gear do you have?
· How do you make decisions on where and how to ride?

We need your help to better understand risk and safety in the backcountry and to help design better education materials. Some of our skiing related publications can be found at our website. Please feel free to pass this message forward to clubs, organizations, and friends. We are just getting started with the snowmobile community.

Have other questions?

Please email us at sleds@montana.edu. Happy riding and tracking!

Jerry Johnson and Jordy Hendrikx
Montana State University

Premium Features