• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gen 5: clutch side vent lip snaging

S
Mar 6, 2008
Northern Sweden
Kind of funny… I see a sled with a couple hundred miles and no scratches, and I think why did that guy even buy that sled, yet I’m meticulous with pickups. I guess I see one as a toy and the other as an asset.

I have way more fun when I don’t worry about what my sled is worth at the end of the ride.
And 3 years old sleds with very few miles on them...

I can't afford to buy a sled and not use it!
Winter is slow in arrival here this year and I've had plenty of other projekts but I have just brought my -22 G4 in for some pre season tinkering, I think I would have to search long and hard to find a scratch free palm sized spot on it

H
Oct 18, 2016
Mine broke too. Pretty sure it wasn’t even from a tight tree line. Just looked down and it was broke. BRP says it’s back ordered until March. Dremeled the sides down a bit, contact cement on the backside, probably end up using gorilla tape on the lip too when I put it back on since the one tab on backside broke also. Will have to tape up the broken frog skin portion.

Sled absolutely rips in more way than one….

570D600F-7812-4C9C-AF0C-2A3A0ECCEEC8.jpeg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I feel like this is something that should be addressed by Doo.

Dave Norona- Curious if you have spoken with anyone at Doo about this?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
since this seems to be happening quite a bit and early on, it makes you wonder how this did not come up during testing?
or maybe it did but for whatever reason they couldn’t change the design in time.

DITCHBANGER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Some gorilla tape along the seam should help. Heat it up after applied gets nice an tacky couple strips. Put 55 miles in fluffy snow and cold temps and steering boots filling with slush..same as G4, so have a little bit of work to do.

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Proven Design Products has a guard to protect the vent. I just ordered one off of ebay. $42 plus shipping. Video actually shows a guy hitting it with a hammer. Will give it a try and report back. Just google Ski doo g5 clutch vent.

H

hkollie

Apr 21, 2013
PXL_20221218_222536533.jpgi don't know if this will reduce the the risk...hopefully that tape helps a tree skip over the lip....but I am sure a hard pushing tree limb will catch and break the vent...(btw...not my original idea...some other brother used sill tape....so I ordered some from Amazon).

Also I did put tape across the whole edge....just don't have a final picture and the sled is parked 1 hour away

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I feel like this is something that should be addressed by Doo.

Dave Norona- Curious if you have spoken with anyone at Doo about this?
Never had an issue on any of the sleds that were at CKMP, I think this is an early season issue, lots of joe pokes sticking out and when it is low or when we are worried about edging through low snow trees we plant it and drive through, this is definitely from the low snow stiff branches that are low in the snow pack, We will see if this goes away through the season and I am right or wrong. The lynx has two bolts in this location and having 2 or 3 would be much better, what happens is a stiff stick clips one small edge but because it is a small piece it twists it and this cracks the plastic and twists it out and possibly breaking the inside tabs, so more damage is caused by not a big hit....I hit mine already and it twisted out but vents were fine and I just taped around it. We will see as things progess through winter, nothing can or will be changed as per no time to change the design. So we will see end of season. Cheers dave

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Never had an issue on any of the sleds that were at CKMP, I think this is an early season issue, lots of joe pokes sticking out and when it is low or when we are worried about edging through low snow trees we plant it and drive through, this is definitely from the low snow stiff branches that are low in the snow pack, We will see if this goes away through the season and I am right or wrong. The lynx has two bolts in this location and having 2 or 3 would be much better, what happens is a stiff stick clips one small edge but because it is a small piece it twists it and this cracks the plastic and twists it out and possibly breaking the inside tabs, so more damage is caused by not a big hit....I hit mine already and it twisted out but vents were fine and I just taped around it. We will see as things progess through winter, nothing can or will be changed as per no time to change the design. So we will see end of season. Cheers dave
Thanks for the reply.

I encounter branches, and scrub against the occasional tree throughout the season. I'm sure it will be just fine for meadow mashers, but I will have this piece destroyed within minutes. Poor design that will lead to lots of snow filled clutches and taped up vents (especially since that part is already backordered). Hopefully guys don't run into belt temp issues, but atleast that vent is intake and not an exit to my understanding.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Thanks for the reply.

I encounter branches, and scrub against the occasional tree throughout the season. I'm sure it will be just fine for meadow mashers, but I will have this piece destroyed within minutes. Poor design that will lead to lots of snow filled clutches and taped up vents (especially since that part is already backordered). Hopefully guys don't run into belt temp issues, but atleast that vent is intake and not an exit to my understanding.
Okay Champ

longlugs

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2013
Northern Utah
If you think you might have an issue order replacements before they go one back order. Skidoo # 517307956. I'm not a Champ, but managed to break one. I have four more back ups for the season. Or fab a metal replacement and print money...

T
Jan 13, 2013
Got some of these on the way. Hopefully it helps. I already ripped one off brushing up against a tree. Wrecked 2 intakes vents too already. Love the sled but doo dropped the ball on their venting for the G5s. Got some xtreme air vents on the way for the rest of the sled too

Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 8.52.53 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 8.53.09 PM.png

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Got some of these on the way. Hopefully it helps. I already ripped one off brushing up against a tree. Wrecked 2 intakes vents too already. Love the sled but doo dropped the ball on their venting for the G5s. Got some xtreme air vents on the way for the rest of the sled too
How do you order it? Thanks.

Premium Features