• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Gallatin Canyon 15/16 Taylor, Buck, ect...

Golanda

Lifetime Membership
Aug 18, 2015
Bozeman Mt & Pinedale WY
Taylors fork

Rode up on Taylor fork today, I wasn't too bad. The trail was a bit choppy but we muscled through it. The snow is deep and it is setting up in most places. Be careful as the very bottom layer is sugar and is sluffing in some places.

I lost a Snowmobile bag off the back of my machine somewhere up there, if someone finds it let me know.
:)

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I went on Saturday....low and behold pretty hammered. Kind of surprised as I thought the snotel registered 7-8" the previous day? Obviously a big dump is badly needed.

Coming out we hit the parking lot at about 3:30, and there must have been about 35 rigs in there. Figure an average of 3 "snow machines" per rig, that is over 100 people up there, plus rentals, plus not taking into consideration vehicles in doe parking lot. WOW!

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
I went on Saturday....low and behold pretty hammered. Kind of surprised as I thought the snotel registered 7-8" the previous day? Obviously a big dump is badly needed.

Coming out we hit the parking lot at about 3:30, and there must have been about 35 rigs in there. Figure an average of 3 "snow machines" per rig, that is over 100 people up there, plus rentals, plus not taking into consideration vehicles in doe parking lot. WOW!

I am really starting to hate social media one person posts a pic and says were its at the next day that area is trashed...stop letting the hat out of the bag people....

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
I am really starting to hate social media one person posts a pic and says were its at the next day that area is trashed...stop letting the hat out of the bag people....

The problem is...there are so many places closed it leaves only a few places to ride. And look at all the people that own sleds / snow bikes.

P
Nov 13, 2014
Hi Guys! As mentioned, there is a new trail in from the Highway and is the only approved access to enter the Taylor Fork area. Not only is there not to be any riding from the old Wapiti Parking lot, but the gate is also closed at that trailhead swung across the road. The forest service has printed new maps and that is what they must enforce for writing tickets. Those publications are attached here:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3826723.pdf

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprd3826724.pdf

The written text from the GVSA site regarding the new trail reads as follows:
The Forest Service has permanently closed snowmobile access to Carrot Basin from the Wapiti parking lot. A new trail was built this summer to provide access from the Taylor Fork area. The Sage Creek parking lot (along the highway, just south of the Taylor Fork turnoff) has been enlarged and improved. The groomed trail will go out the north end of the parking lot and will parallel Taylor Creek road for about 2 miles before turning south. The new trail meets up with the existing trail after several miles.
There is still access to the Wapiti cabin and the horse trail but you will need to backtrack 1-2 miles down the old trail.
As this is a brand new trail, please be conscious of potential hazards.

And yes - the forest service did the work on the new trail to start with....BUT after being reassessed by the operators from our local club, they noticed it wasn't up to par to pilot a large groomer through. They then donated their own time and dirtwork experience to go back in and fix the trail that the FS had already built. Corners weren't drivable with the groomer when pulling the mogul master, piles of rock remained, and some overall grades were too steep to navigate.

I rode this trail on opening day December 2nd and found the new lower section to be perfectly fluid on a sled for the first 2 miles road/1 mile of new construction over the hogback. After popping out in the open, the new trail has little rocks to click and sagebrush galore - as did the old trail in the exposed areas. The few nooks after the open meadows where the trail dives back into small sections of trees had a few downed logs from our late fall windstorm, and even more trees down after the trail linked with the old one. We cut out 4 trees on that day, and would need a chainsaw for any remaining.

As some may know, GVSA spent over $60,000 on their groomer this past summer on repairs for parts and labor. The engine wasn't producing power, the frame had been cracked, and was plagued with gremlins. Once returned from Salt Lake, this new groomer has been out (December 3) with the compactor bar to see how it would run on the new lower section in Taylor Fork. With all the $$$ spent on it this summer, one could imagine they're a little timid to get out and start breaking/bouncing off things early season with moderate snowfall, but they gave it a go. Speaking with the operators this week, they are tracing a small oil leak to get the groomer fully up to snuff and ready to go.

Rest assured that grooming will happen and be done twice per week on a double-back basis for Buck/Taylor as season gets underway. For any more information, pop into one of our monthly meeting held at the groomer shed!

The snow is AWESOMELY deep in both areas. Yep, there's plenty to hit while trenching to the ground with no base, but that happens every early season... Happy Riding and see you on the snow!!
~T.J.

It has me wondering if the FS actually had the proper approval to doze that road and to close Wapiti Y access. Both the printed and approved maps for 2016 still show it the trail in going through Wapiti Y...

Premium Features