• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

G4 upper chaincase protection

C
Dec 25, 2019
Anyone know of anything or anyone who makes some sort or protection for the upper part of the chaincase.y boots rub on it and take off all the paint
da47843d8241819255d3983ccbfacbe3.jpg
8dd65b35d70734b06572dd49e0fc107e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
looks like we have the same sled (2020 Freeride) and i have the same wear starting on the chaincase but i haven't addressed it yet. i have noticed other areas of wear in the from of the gloss being dulled somewhat on the side of the tunnels where your feet are always banging around and the diagonal frame brace that says "pyramidal frame". i reached out to a few aftermarket wrap companies and was surprised that almost none of them make custom cut clear pieces to prevent paint wear. anyway, i found one and had pieces made for the tunnel sides and the diagonal braces. i used some novus 2 which easily brought the gloss back and installed the film.

C
Dec 25, 2019
I just emailed arctic fx and they said give me your address we will send you a piece of vinal and you can cut it to fit I told them I will pay for a bigger piece but I havnt heard back yet

C
Dec 25, 2019
looks like we have the same sled (2020 Freeride) and i have the same wear starting on the chaincase but i haven't addressed it yet. i have noticed other areas of wear in the from of the gloss being dulled somewhat on the side of the tunnels where your feet are always banging around and the diagonal frame brace that says "pyramidal frame". i reached out to a few aftermarket wrap companies and was surprised that almost none of them make custom cut clear pieces to prevent paint wear. anyway, i found one and had pieces made for the tunnel sides and the diagonal braces. i used some novus 2 which easily brought the gloss back and installed the film.
Who did you get to cut you stuff and is it decent vinal or like 3m clear bra

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
lemme research my emails and find the company. the company i went with uses a product that's designed for impacts-just like 3M's film. i can't remember the name but it is much thicker than the thickest 3M film that i was able to find. this made it a little harder to apply as you definitely need a heat gun and some patience but it'll last the life of the sled. i'm also glad i had the pieces custom cut as opposed to buying a sheet and doing it myself. i did have to cut out the space for the adjustable limiter strap lever but that was no big deal.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
the place is braapwraps.com
i reached out to pretty much every wrap company and most wouldn't do it for whatever reason. prolly because they use vinyl and dont have the protective film stuff on hand.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
I just emailed arctic fx and they said give me your address we will send you a piece of vinal and you can cut it to fit I told them I will pay for a bigger piece but I havnt heard back yet

you can easily buy 3M film off amazon and cut it yourself but i highly recommend having it custom cut. also, vinyl isn't gonna be as strong as the polyurethane of protective films but it will likely work well enough.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
regarding custom cutting-for the chaincase i'm thinking there's probably no one that has a template for that area so you may have to cut that yourself.

C
Dec 25, 2019
If I can just use the vinyl for the chain case then maybe clear bra that I will be happy I would like to do the top of the tunnel any other spots that I'm constantly hitting with my gear

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
the best thing for the top of the tunnel is brp's radiator protector.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
just soap and water and you should be good. you'll also need soapy water to apply the film with so that you can move it into position.

C
Dec 25, 2019
Is there a gap between the radiator protector and the top of the tunnel I would be afraid of it scuffing the paint

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
There’s a small gap I suppose in some spots just due to the nature of the material and application. It’s not like the protector is wavy or distorted or anything. You could put something thin in between like maybe some gorilla tape on the underside of the protector on the tunnel itself.
I looked at it knowing that the protector may cause some scuffing as dirt will inevitably get in there but it’s far better than running without one in terms of scratches plus this sled will always have the protector on so any scratches would never be seen.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
which company uses the 3m stuff and is that the toughest stuff ?

Im looking to clear wrap my new sled in the high traffic/abrasion areas .

Can a person manipulate the 3m stuff if they cut it themselves ?

Whats the min max thickness I should be looking at ?

thanks

Premium Features