• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Future Suspension Changes

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
I got to say my X does feel better then my fathers mountain cat shocks, this could just be setup also though. I had a 14 Freeride and loved the shocks, were a lot better then any other stock suspension sled I road. It would be nice if X models were compression adjustable.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
Is there not shock packages from FOX in the catalog? The option is pretty much there. It really isn't hard to reach out to aftermarket companies and learn something, something that would be nice for you to know specifically for yourself.

See the attachment. Here are your options from Ski-doo that I am sure your dealer would be happy to install. Doesn't make sense for Ski-doo to offer these from the factory. I might not even want them so it is better to let the user pcik and choose as Dave said.

I think the point is that of course you can buy any aftermarket shock package you want, but it means you have bought two sets, the stock ones that came with the sled that you don’t want, and the aftermarket you do. Maybe if Doo offered a credit for the stock shocks if you bought an upgrade from the dealer?

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Also, I feel sorry for you if you think your Arctic Cat Fox air shocks are considered "premium" shocks to you.. I mean they are a slight upgrade to the sp shocks I'm using.. but that's where it ends.

That just sounds like pure jealousy to me... Your SP shocks are nowhere near the performance of the Evol adjustable air shocks that came on my Cat. Ski Doo wants $2500 from you to get the shocks that came on my sled, without paying a premium. Mine can easily be set up to be soft until the big hit comes and they wont bottom, try that with your SP shocks LOL.

I think both Polaris and Ski Doo are missing the boat on this front. They both offer an upgrade on snow checks but the base shocks are sad, just like they are on a base Cat. I rode the base shocks on Polaris sleds for years. The Fox shocks on my Cat are night and day better. They beat you up less and absorb the bumps better.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
That just sounds like pure jealousy to me... Your SP shocks are nowhere near the performance of the Evol adjustable air shocks that came on my Cat. Ski Doo wants $2500 from you to get the shocks that came on my sled, without paying a premium. Mine can easily be set up to be soft until the big hit comes and they wont bottom, try that with your SP shocks LOL.

I think both Polaris and Ski Doo are missing the boat on this front. They both offer an upgrade on snow checks but the base shocks are sad, just like they are on a base Cat. I rode the base shocks on Polaris sleds for years. The Fox shocks on my Cat are night and day better. They beat you up less and absorb the bumps better.

I would have to agree with u I came from a 2017 summit 850 x and just bought a 2018 arctic cat mountian cat ! and too say that the fox qs3 are slightly better than the summit x shocks is almost funny! Thats the first thing i noticed on the cat is how well the shocks absorbed everything and rode very nice on the whooped out trail!
Also sidehilling ive noticed the cat feels way more planted and holds a line better! not sure if thats shocks related or just the chassis !
I just remember on my 850 summit i was always bracing for a surprise!

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Also sidehilling ive noticed the cat feels way more planted and holds a line better! not sure if thats shocks related or just the chassis !

Not so much the shocks as it is the t-motion and flex edge track coupled to a poor rider position and trail sled steering angle. Those 850s are squirrelly on a sidehill for sure!

M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
Not so much the shocks as it is the t-motion and flex edge track coupled to a poor rider position and trail sled steering angle. Those 850s are squirrelly on a sidehill for sure!

Maybe you just dont know how to ride? or ride that sled...

Fox air shocks from Arctic Cat are garbage.. I dont care what anyone says. I had a 2015 with air shocks. Complete junk. I'll never have another air shock. Just personal preference I guess.. but I'll buy a decently set up non adjustable before another air shock.

bjd68

Premium Member
Jul 22, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Maybe you just dont know how to ride? or ride that sled...

Fox air shocks from Arctic Cat are garbage.. I dont care what anyone says. I had a 2015 with air shocks. Complete junk. I'll never have another air shock. Just personal preference I guess.. but I'll buy a decently set up non adjustable
I don't think the 2015 cat shocks are even close to the the same as the 2018 Mountian cats shocks

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Yeah I had floats on a 12 and they were horrible, the new QS3 are a huge improvement.

The KYB shocks On The Summit X are garbage. I ordered a 2017 Summit X and turned around and bought a set of Raptor front shocks. I have to admit the Raptor shocks they “okay”. In 2018 I ordered a Freeride 154 and I all I can say is the the Freeride shocks are a night and day difference over the Summit X and the Raptor shocks. I can hammer bumps with the Freeride Shocks on the trail at 45 MPH plus with no issues. I don’t see why Ski Doo should offer an option for Fox Shocks or any other brand for a Snowcheck option. If they offered a Freeride KYB Piggy Back Shock option for Snowcheck I truly think that would be a satisfactory option for all that are complaining here.

Let the bashing begin!

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
They could solve a lot by putting better springs on( springs that don’t sack out in 400 miles), work the valving over just a bit, and better shaft seals.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
Probably, should be better. The price looks decent for a better spring set up. I’d consider that for a set of new or fresh rebuilt shocks. Installing on old worn out shocks with 1 season or more would be a waste without a rebuild first. Provided you have rebuildable shocks. So cost could add up fast, potentially close to a set of Fox, Exits etc for the front shocks.

I could be remembering slightly off, but I believe a person can get a set of Fox zero pro 1.5” coil over front shocks for around $600-700, I believe.

Though personally I prefer shocks from Toms. But that is me, as I have a long relationship with Tom and his product and service.

There are lots of options out there for sure.

W
Sep 9, 2013
Probably, should be better. The price looks decent for a better spring set up. I’d consider that for a set of new or fresh rebuilt shocks. Installing on old worn out shocks with 1 season or more would be a waste without a rebuild first. Provided you have rebuildable shocks. So cost could add up fast, potentially close to a set of Fox, Exits etc for the front shocks.

I could be remembering slightly off, but I believe a person can get a set of Fox zero pro 1.5” coil over front shocks for around $600-700, I believe.

Though personally I prefer shocks from Toms. But that is me, as I have a long relationship with Tom and his product and service.

There are lots of options out there for sure.

I was under that buying from Tom with the correct springs for my weight.

sledhead_24_7

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 30, 2008
Jackson Wy
^^^^ always a good idea to have shocks, springs for your weight, plus any gear you may be packing on the rear. Such as gas cans, oil jugs, tools, etc. I know some guys pack a small chain saw everywhere.

The factory shock no matter the brand is set up to cover sled weight, rider around 160lbs-170lbs plus or minus I believe, that number could have changed slightly.

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
The Freeride shocks are better then the X shocks. The problem is that they should have been stock on the X! And the freeride should have bigger and stiffer shocks. 100% off all the people I've talked to regarding the free ride (me included), they all find them way to soft for a 'freeride' type of snowmobile. I have the optional Fox Qs3. It's night and day even vs freeride!

AKDoug

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2009
^^^^ always a good idea to have shocks, springs for your weight, plus any gear you may be packing on the rear. Such as gas cans, oil jugs, tools, etc. I know some guys pack a small chain saw everywhere.

The factory shock no matter the brand is set up to cover sled weight, rider around 160lbs-170lbs plus or minus I believe, that number could have changed slightly.

Yeah, when I added up all my stuff and me I was right at 300#. I had the local suspension guru re-valve my X KYB shocks and added stiffer springs all around. It made an amazing difference and way cheaper than aftermarket shocks.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Few things...

Norona means well and is a good dude, but he's also paid by BRP. Take his input for what it is.

I've ridden all 3 sleds. I like them all for different reasons. I'm not here to say one brand is better than the other. I think its important for me to note this just because some people exude cognitive bias around this alone.

There is no question Ski-Doo's skid design is dated. A torsion bar is not as effective of a spring for a number of reasons. Proof is in the pudding, as they say, with all of Ski-Doo's athletes moving away from the setup (if they are allowed per the rider contract). The fact that no other manufacturer uses it in a mountain application (or snowcross applicatino) further showcases this. Anyone suggesting Doos work better in the bumps really ought to try bringing their speed up. At higher speed the doo is terrifying in stock configuration.

Considering Ski-Doo already has a relationship with Fox, I too am surprised they don't offer this as a snowcheck option. I'm also surprised they can't seem to get the valving right (fox) in out of the box configuration.

This is where guys like Tom comes in. Anyone who has ridden a setup from a guy like Tom and compared it to stock will attest it feels like an entirely different sled. Plus, its lighter, more durable and easy to configure to each riders desire. Getting rid of the torsion bars is a huge improvement.

The other OEMs offer better shocks out of the box than Ski-Doo - no question. Yes, the Walker Evans need a revalve (something you can't even do on the SP), and the Cat is a bit fiddly, but both those packages are far better than the stock Doo package. With a revalve, I'd say both are better than the KYB!

I almost wish you could get the sled without shocks, though I'm guessing that'd only save you $200. Maybe less.

Anyway. Just my musings.

J
Jul 31, 2014
Fairhaven
Suspension is a part of the sled that needs regular maintenance and possibly repairs when things go wrong. I'm not upset about getting a cheap set of shocks on my new SP because it gives me something to put back on when I get some good suspension in case my fancy bits need to get sent in for work mid-season.

Premium Features