• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fubar'd TRA clutch.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Well, had an issue the other day tearing apart the clutch on my 09, trying to sort out issues with the clutch running hot and still slipping belts even after installing a RB kit 3 seasons ago.
One of the cap screw bolts on the spring cup stripped while trying to remove it with my 3/8" drive impact gun, I tried a screw type extractor, that didn't work, drove the capscrew socket in on the flats, heated the sheave half a bit with a torch, still couldn't get it out before rounding the capscrew some more.
I decided to go with new buttons and 0-rings, a good cleaning, belt cleaning and adjustment, removed the tower brace and see how it runs at the end of the month on a trip to Cooke. I've never been able to pull the recommended 15.3 grams pin weight and have to run on clicker 5, still hard on belts and hot clutch.
Anybody have any ideas on removing governor cup to try to salvage the $200+ moveable half?
I didn't have a square easy out to try, that'd be first, next was thinking of cutting $36 cup off and getting a small pipe wrench or vise grip on last bolt.
Have talked with Paul about replacing Primary spring when I get clutch apart.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
If it just the hex portion of the bolt that is rounded out, drill off the head and get a new bolt, the threaded remainder of the bolt will spin out easy once the cap is off. Hopefully it's not the threads that are stripped, if I understand correctly.

Summit8

Premium Member
Oct 13, 2001
Fairview, MT
Ok, Thanks for the idea Paul, I should have thought of the obvious. Drill off the capscrew head as much as possible then use my dremel to get closer to the cup to get the bolt out.
:face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features