• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Freaking rocks

E
Mar 4, 2015
So I nailed a rock yesterday that first hit the bottom of the brake cover and chaincase cover on the tunnel. I hit the rock so hard that it buck me and the sled into a front flip.

Looks like I bent the torsion spring, see pic and really hoping I didn't jack the tunnel. It does seem straight though and the lines all look right, skis aren't misaligned, etc.

Question, would the bent spring cause the bogie wheels to get out of alignment with side to side movement causing the track to rub slightly? It doesn't do it when it is sitting normally but when you set it on it's right side it is touching the tunnel upfront near the cog wheel.

Any feedback would be awesome because I really don't want to spend a grip of dough to get back up and running and trying to avoid the $1000 deductible if I can.

Thanks in advance.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

E
Mar 4, 2015
Did your track get looser???
I think you better take the rear suspension out and do some serious investigating. Look for creases and folds.

Track isn't loser and seems to ride straight, just when I set it on the side it rubs. Didn't know if it would be worth replacing that spring or not. was a hell of a hit that is for sure so yeah it might be worth dropping it down and taking a look.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I hit my chaincase with a rock hard enough it cracked the case and lost the oil. It bulged the inside of the tunnel in from the rock pushing it up. I pulled the skid and chaincase then pressed it as straight as I could. The case bolted up easily so it must be straight enough.
20f71b39ee7444476812d0ef142f05c4.jpg
624bda91ba4bc7fd2bc68e680a996e90.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
Pretty sure an insurance claim is going to write it off. Sure, you could ride it and probably have no issues, but why, that's what insurance is for. Take the money, buy a new sled, buy back that sled, and either sell parts or keep it as a parts sled. At least get your dealer to do an estimate.

E
Mar 4, 2015
Pretty sure an insurance claim is going to write it off. Sure, you could ride it and probably have no issues, but why, that's what insurance is for. Take the money, buy a new sled, buy back that sled, and either sell parts or keep it as a parts sled. At least get your dealer to do an estimate.

Na, I hear you, just $1,000 deductible but yeah I'll just take it in to get it checked out.

E
Mar 4, 2015
I hit my chaincase with a rock hard enough it cracked the case and lost the oil. It bulged the inside of the tunnel in from the rock pushing it up. I pulled the skid and chaincase then pressed it as straight as I could. The case bolted up easily so it must be straight enough.
20f71b39ee7444476812d0ef142f05c4.jpg
624bda91ba4bc7fd2bc68e680a996e90.jpg

Man, that looks similar to what I did, where was the tunnel bent? Did it push the whole thing up on the chaincase side which caused the cog wheel to be pushed up on one side?

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I don't have a good picture of the tunnel bend but if you can imagine the tunnel having a bow in towards the track where the crack in the case is. The tunnel was not damaged above the driveshaft, only below. My track was rubbing because the tunnel bent towards it, not the drive cog moving towards the tunnel.

95f098bac88694f07cb5f2b1aad47e06.jpg

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
No it was not totalled. Insurance said it was about $5k to repair and that wasn't a high enough percentage of the total sled value. I decided to straighten the tunnel it the best I could and replace the back half of the chain case. I was about $300 total into the repair. Oh, I added Skinz bash plates as well to hopefully keep it from happening as easily again.

E
Mar 4, 2015
No it was not totalled. Insurance said it was about $5k to repair and that wasn't a high enough percentage of the total sled value. I decided to straighten the tunnel it the best I could and replace the back half of the chain case. I was about $300 total into the repair. Oh, I added Skinz bash plates as well to hopefully keep it from happening as easily again.

How does it ride now? Did you have track rubbing on the way out or you towed it because of the chain case? Apparently my e module is broken too.

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I was able to ride it out and actually did for the rest of the season after JB welded the chaincase crack! The track no longer rubs after I straightened the tunnel. It might be paranoia but I feel like the sled has slightly more track vibration than last year. It's possible something else is not straight anymore or i'm over thinking it since I had the incident.

E
Mar 4, 2015
I was able to ride it out and actually did for the rest of the season after JB welded the chaincase crack! The track no longer rubs after I straightened the tunnel. It might be paranoia but I feel like the sled has slightly more track vibration than last year. It's possible something else is not straight anymore or i'm over thinking it since I had the incident.

Ehh, that sucks and hopefully, it is just paranoia. Did you jack up the emodule or smodule at all?

farmboy84

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
New Prague, MN
I don't think so. The a-arms and shocks are all still centered and I took the pipe, muffler and clutches off and looked everything over really well and couldn't find any other damage. I'm just going to send it!

E
Mar 4, 2015
I don't think so. The a-arms and shocks are all still centered and I took the pipe, muffler and clutches off and looked everything over really well and couldn't find any other damage. I'm just going to send it!

hell ya, I'm thinking the same thing

Premium Features