• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Forum Expert 9R review

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Vitamin A would have helped someone like yourself Chilly. One of these days you’ll smarten up and realize none of us owns anything. We are simply paying rent to our government for everything we think we own.
Only property we are renting from the government. Once you pay the taxes on a toy or equipment, the government no longer has its hand out for a yearly payment.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Sorry to get off topic, anyone know of where there still may be a 9R 155 Khaos ? Thanks
If you're in western Canada, I have a black/black 9R 155" Pro if that helps. Velocity's, manual start, standard gauge. Some guys have been pretty happy just swapping for a Khaos limiter strap and pulling the spacer from the FTS with regards to Pro vs. Khaos.

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
If you're in western Canada, I have a black/black 9R 155" Pro if that helps. Velocity's, manual start, standard gauge. Some guys have been pretty happy just swapping for a Khaos limiter strap and pulling the spacer from the FTS with regards to Pro vs. Khaos.
Thanks, pretty far I’m in the Denver area

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
………. I used to go to the airport and find hot chics waiting for hotel shuttles and ask them if they needed rides cause I just dropped off a friend and was headed back to the north shore. Super sick and wrong .
Frickin’ genius if you ask me! Hot chicks on vacation love to have fun!!!

JH@CM

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2018
Lot's of 165's. , no 155 Khaos yet
Right, well, if you're gonna be picky, you better be patient!

Also, much easier to make a pro into a khaos than an 850 into a 9R...

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
I'll be the naysayer here.

Hopped on a 163 3" Pro yesterday, coming from a 155 2.75 Pro. At 10k feet

I'd say the difference is about half of what I expected it to be. It revs up to the 7-8 range real fast and almost feels smoother and more linear because of it. Maybe the slower revving 850 makes you notice the pipe's impact on the power curve more? But the difference didn't feel like the same jump from an 800 to an 850, like I'd expected.

I also wonder how much of it is due to the track. I know this forum hates the 2.75 but man it spins so fast. Maybe the difference would be more noticable if the comparison was more apples to apples.

All that being said, I no longer feel the need to sell my 850 for a 9R. When it's time to sell, I'll get the 9R but it's not about to make me upgrade early.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I'll be the naysayer here.

Hopped on a 163 3" Pro yesterday, coming from a 155 2.75 Pro. At 10k feet

I'd say the difference is about half of what I expected it to be. It revs up to the 7-8 range real fast and almost feels smoother and more linear because of it. Maybe the slower revving 850 makes you notice the pipe's impact on the power curve more? But the difference didn't feel like the same jump from an 800 to an 850, like I'd expected.

I also wonder how much of it is due to the track. I know this forum hates the 2.75 but man it spins so fast. Maybe the difference would be more noticable if the comparison was more apples to apples.

All that being said, I no longer feel the need to sell my 850 for a 9R. When it's time to sell, I'll get the 9R but it's not about to make me upgrade early.
Dragging a boat anchor behind a 2.75" is an upgrade from running a 3". You have to be retarded to buy that track or get horrible advice from a dealer that doesn't snowmobile. You can't even compare those two. And as for disliking the 2.75, it's not the best track but it's not the worst.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Dragging a boat anchor behind a 2.75" is an upgrade from running a 3". You have to be retarded to buy that track or get horrible advice from a dealer that doesn't snowmobile. You can't even compare those two. And as for disliking the 2.75, it's not the best track but it's not the worst.

It’s the worst for durability and coastal snow performance but you’re spot on about the comparison between the two tracks. The only way to make the 3” work is to trim it. Paddles fold over to easy.

Polaris should be embarrassed about the quality of the 2.75 track. It’s junk. But it’s a good performing track once you get 400 miles inland from the Pacific.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
It’s the worst for durability and coastal snow performance but you’re spot on about the comparison between the two tracks. The only way to make the 3” work is to trim it. Paddles fold over to easy.

Polaris should be embarrassed about the quality of the 2.75 track. It’s junk. But it’s a good performing track once you get 400 miles inland from the Pacific.
I like that I am missing lots of lugs off my 2.75s. It makes me look like a bad ass and ride over trees. ?

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
First ride on the 9R Khaos 165 today, started the day with 1.5 miles on the sled. It was a break-in ride and we rode in the trees at the 6000 to 8000 foot elevation. The 9R Khaos works very well in the tight stuff, great throttle response, easy to get on edge, holds a side hill very well and the power delivery is predictable.

Items I will be addressing are the shocks ride way to stiff and sorting out the correct clutch weights as on the few short full throttle busts the 9R jumped to 8,700 instantly, the stock 72 grams weights are too light, will try 76 gram and see.

Finished the day with 73 miles on the sled and 30% fuel. Had a good first day on the 9R it is a definite keeper.

Over budget

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 13, 2019
Centerville utah
First ride on the 9R Khaos 165 today, started the day with 1.5 miles on the sled. It was a break-in ride and we rode in the trees at the 6000 to 8000 foot elevation. The 9R Khaos works very well in the tight stuff, great throttle response, easy to get on edge, holds a side hill very well and the power delivery is predictable.

Items I will be addressing are the shocks ride way to stiff and sorting out the correct clutch weights as on the few short full throttle busts the 9R jumped to 8,700 instantly, the stock 72 grams weights are too light, will try 76 gram and see.

Finished the day with 73 miles on the sled and 30% fuel. Had a good first day on the 9R it is a definite keeper.
Finally something worth reading thank you ?

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Feel free to Start contributing stuff worth reading anytime haha.
OK, here is my question. Seems the masses have gone all in on the 9R Khoas 155. So where does this leave the BOOST? I did ride a 9r and thought it was a great sled, but I already have a well-built 850 NA Matryx Khaos 155. What would be a better compliment for it 9R or Boost. I don't mind riding trees, but I don't spend all day in them. Like to ride in deep, side hilling slopes and climbing to a degree (non-avalanche terrain).

Premium Features