• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Flatlander from Ontario

M
Nov 5, 2014
Ottawa, On
So I thought I would introduce myself, and give some background on how I got into sledding. First off I am from Ottawa Canada, but even though I’m not in the mountains I’ve never been a big trail rider. I’m on a new sled this year, picked up a 2012 Summit 800r Etec 146” in September, and I’ve been obsessed ever since! Will it just Snow already!!

I got into sledding in 2006/2007 when I picked up my first sled. It was a 1997 Vmax 600 XT. Was a decently reliable sled, but very underwhelming power, and it wasn’t that well suited for the type of riding I was doing. I did some upgrades; track, replaced shocks, but eventually decided I just needed to upgrade machines. The final straw was a trip in to my Cottage and my back was sore for 3 days after. Dec 2012 I upgraded to a 2006 Yamaha Apex RTX, and was pretty happy with it. Again, since I’m not really a trail rider, and I’m often off trail and breaking trail, I soon realized that this machine just was not what I needed. I had plans to Mod this machine, that just never ended up panning out, I had it ripped right down last summer, and was going to extend it, and throw a good paddle track on it, to make it the machine I wanted, but plans changed last fall, when my marriage came to an end, and so I ended up simply slapping it back together quickly. My season was pretty much a bust last year, and I was only able to get away 1 weekend, and a few small day trips.

So here we are, getting ready for another season, and I finally have the mountain/off sled I’ve been wanting for years. Its sitting in the garage, with the skid out of it, I’m waiting on some parts from Toms for a T motion conversion, and Tom’s Emotion Evol R kit, and planning to swap out the fronts to Fox Evol’s or Evol R’s. I just put an SCS unlimited Wrap on it also planning to put a can on it, and that’s likely it for this year anyways.
Ok, so I’ve mentioned a few times that I’m not a big trail rider, so what kind of riding do like to do? Well the off trail deep snow kind!! At least whatever I can find around here. We built a Cottage in 2011, It is fairly remote (100km’s in the Bush) the road in is not groomed, and there are no groomed trails around. We need to sled everything in, it’s a 60-70K trip in. The area regularly gets 4-5ft of snow each year, even when there is not that much around Ottawa. Typically I get away for a weekend or long weekend at least once a month through the winter, and hoping for much more this season. Over the years my most of my family has got into sledding, my father and brothers, and my 6 yr old Son sometimes tags along (usually March) So typically it’s a group of 7-9 people, between family and friends that come up. We tour, fish, break trails and try and get some good video.

We are also planning on doing some power line ripping this season, and hoping to get some decent video, and plan to put them out up on my Youtube channel, (www.youtube.com/user/cmasseau) I’m just getting into that part of it, and hope to produce some better and better videos, If you’re interested make sure to check it out, and I’ll be sure to post up the videos starting in Dec/Jan once the season gets underway.

Anyways, that’s my intro look forward to posting and learning from the site, and provide some knowledge to other members where I can.

Sled and Box Stove.jpg IMG_0351.jpg IMG_0398.jpg Carve5.jpg IMG-20141029-01488.jpg IMG_2014.jpg

Nooby

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2013
NE Nebraska
welcome

:welcome: to the forum. Lots of great info and knowledge in here. I'll look forward to seeing the videos you post.

Nooby

Premium Features